WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    How many wacks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a dead horse?
    pretty much sums it up nicely

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    the original thread was closed
    apologies, it wasnt just closed, it was deleted

the terms of service say we cannot reopen or discuss closed threads.there is a group that was formed for service providers to keep hearsay out of the main forums.this isnt a court where you're guilty till proven innocent.there have been numerous complaints about different hostels over the years, most without merit.its no different than staying ata shelter. if you dont like the vibe, you keep walking.

"Hearsay" is information obtained through a secondhand source. But if someone posts a firsthand review of an experience with a service provider along the trail, it's not very helpful to the hiking community to filter or censor it just because it's negative. Let the information remain and people will take what they need and leave the rest.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    "Hearsay" is information obtained through a secondhand source. But if someone posts a firsthand review of an experience with a service provider along the trail, it's not very helpful to the hiking community to filter or censor it just because it's negative. Let the information remain and people will take what they need and leave the rest.
    when it isnt corroborated its hearsay.

apologies, it wasnt just closed, it was deleted

Which explains why I couldn't find a thread about the hostel that was closed.

Images

i dont get it. people just love bashing other people or their businesses. surprisingly standing bear has been around for quite a few years.if it was anywhere near as bad as the op claims, it would have closed down years ago.i'll say it again. there have been many complaints about various hostels over the yers, and usually the complaints are in the absolute minority. this would lead me to believe the hostel wasnt always the party in the wrong.you dont like how a place does business, then just dont stay there.start spreading these rumors, the establishment is forced to close, and everyone loses.

Only if we're in court. And you've already said we're not.

Hi Hikerboy,

I am not sure if this was directed towards me because I made the thread, but are you saying that my experience is hearsay? In the long run, it doesn't really matter what either of us say, but please do not hint at the fact that what I wrote was falsely stated. It is insulting. What I wrote was all first hand experience, I in fact left out stories that were told to me secondhand, which could not be corroborated.

Thanks!
    Salad Days
    Out of step with the world...

My trail blog:
    http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    How many wacks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a dead horse?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cro-Mag View Post
    Hi Hikerboy,

I am not sure if this was directed towards me because I made the thread, but are you saying that my experience is hearsay? In the long run, it doesn't really matter what either of us say, but please do not hint at the fact that what I wrote was falsely stated. It is insulting. What I wrote was all first hand experience, I in fact left out stories that were told to me secondhand, which could not be corroborated.

Thanks!
    Salad Days
    im just saying you should be careful about accusing people of illegal acts in a public forum.its their livelihood. you dont like the way a hostel runs,keep walking. its not rocket science.thres no ball and chain forcing you to stay there.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I stayed there and find the OPs observations accurate.
    It's not so much the owner as it is the help he hires.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ng-Bear-Hostel

Here's the thread y'all....^

Do y'all remember growing up & at some point ur mom telling you that you needed to accept & eat the beets you didn't like b/c someone in Africa was starving? That's what the comments on this thread remind me of... If someone had a negative experience & you believe them. ( there's absolutely no reason not to believe Cro-mag) Then, 50 million people saying that they had a great experience, forget about it or just get over it doesn't mean much to the OP ....just sayin. Meaningless jiber jaber.

I believe he has a right to share his experience just as much as anyone else does that had a positive experience. I sincerely believe we all feel bad, for everyone concerned, that it was negative one.

im just saying you should be careful about accusing people of illegal acts in a public forum.its their livelihood. you dont like the way a hostel runs,keep walking. its not rocket science.thres no ball and chain forcing you to stay there.
    Agreed, a public forum is not the best place. If the mods choose to remove the thread or the drug related talk, I am fine with that.

Sure, no ball and chain forcing me, but that shouldn't keep me from speaking up. I believe your generation taught me that.

I'll let you have the final word, as I am not here to get into arguments with fellow hikers.

Thanks!
    Salad Days
    Out of step with the world...

My trail blog:
    http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

Images

Hearsay is giving the details of an event as related to the Iindividual by another party. This would be a case if the OP had started this thread off by stating "I heard..." Andthe moderators are correct in filtering out those posts and service providers are correct in seeking to block them.

On the other hand the event was related first hand. These are things that the OP himself saw and is a legitimate review/complaint. Lack of corroboration does not make it hearsay, just an unwitnessed event.

As has been stated most complaints against service providers ars usually unfounded and WB is good at sniffing out such posts. Entitled hiker threads, the "The Place is bad causse they kicked us out for drinking beers..." come to mind.

If the OP's post is baseless then attack it on its lack of merit. However, it seems no one is actually adressing the facts as the OP gives them in his case.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    i knew it was something like that. i always lose count around 3. I have ADD.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post

Do y'all remember growing up & at some point ur mom telling you that you needed to accept & eat the beets you didn't like b/c someone in Africa was starving? That's what the comments on this thread remind me of... If someone had a negative experience & you believe them. ( there's absolutely no reason not to believe Cro-mag) Then, 50 million people saying that they had a great experience, forget about it or just get over it doesn't mean much to the OP ....just sayin. Meaningless jiber jaber.

I believe he has a right to share his experience just as much as anyone else does that had a positive experience. I sincerely believe we all feel bad, for everyone concerned, that it was negative one.
    I guess some people don't think Whiteblaze is the best place to go on a witch hunt. Marijuana use is legal in four states now so it's here to stay for those that want that crap. No better or worse then alcohol or trail feeds without temporary health department permits.

Images

I was stubborn and pig headed enough that I never ate the beets... my mom learned that if she were concerned about the starving kids in Africa, she should have mailed them the damn beets.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    I guess some people don't think Whiteblaze is the best place to go on a witch hunt. Marijuana use is legal in four states now so it's here to stay for those that want that crap. No better or worse then alcohol or trail feeds without temporary health department permits.
    True dat... some people don't want to know. Some people do.. Ahh... I almost forgot the smiley face...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I was stubborn and pig headed enough that I never ate the beets... my mom learned that if she were concerned about the starving kids in Africa, she should have mailed them the damn beets.
    That's funny Tuck... I'm glad to learn I wasn't the only one that was pig headed and stubborn.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cro-Mag View Post
    Agreed, a public forum is not the best place. If the mods choose to remove the thread or the drug related talk, I am fine with that.

Sure, no ball and chain forcing me, but that shouldn't keep me from speaking up. I believe your generation taught me that.

I'll let you have the final word, as I am not here to get into arguments with fellow hikers.

Thanks!
    Salad Days
    yeah me neither.just felt the argument was going down a road we'd already been down. i dont doubt your experience there.
    and you are entitled to speak up if you see something wrong. you have my apology.
    we've had similar threads begun by service providers with complaints about various hikers, and it turns out, theres almost always two sides to the story.im sorry i suggested you were being disingenuous.im sure your motives are not.

Images

the thread i referred to was deleted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++