WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello Everyone. I'm looking for support to achieve my Triple Crown.

Hello, my name is Joseph Silvio and I thru hiked the Appalachian in 2011. Since then I have been to Europe, Africa, South America, and most recently I through hiked the Pacific Crest Trail. Now here is where you're help comes in. I am trying to develop a film called To Another Place. It will be my journey to finally Triple Crown on the Continental Divide. Well, I was diagnosed with Crohns disease when I was 18 and now I would like to develop this film that would help inspire people with all sorts of diseases trying to show them that their life are still in their hands. If you would like to support my project or contact me, you can use this page or the website I'm using to raise funds...Thank you so much.

To donate and look more into the project please go to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-another-place

How've you supported yourself on your "three year binge of traveling"?

Good for you for pushing through the Crohns disease and not allowing that to stop you from accomplishing ur dream. Congrats on finishing the AT & the PCT! Good luck with this project too.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Just to be clear: are you asking people to support the hike or the film project? If it's the hike ...

I wish you the best on your journey and congratulate you on what you've accomplished so far, but you're asking the wrong crowd. Kickstarter works because it says to people, "Hey look, I'm doing this awesome thing that you maybe wish you could do, but don't have the time/determination for, but you support the idea of someone doing it and you have money, so maybe you could help me out?" And people do help out. Hiking the Triple Crown with Crohn's disease is very likely to capture the imagination and inspire donations from people who are never going to thru-hike.

But on WhiteBlaze, you're asking a bunch of people who have largely worked to self-fund all their own hiking and who don't see why you shouldn't have to do the same, regardless of whether they want you to achieve your goals (I'm sure most people here want you to succeed). Most people on WhiteBlaze overcame some challenge to start their hiking careers. No one's going to compare them in difficulty and say something like, "Hiking with Crohn's disease is more worthy of admiration than overcoming a knee operation and a divorce, which is what I did, so let me give this guy some money." I know you're just trying to get the word out for your project anywhere you can, but counterintuitively, a hiking forum (where people see requests for financial support all the time and uniformly ignore them) is not going to be a very sympathetic environment. Again, good luck and I hope you succeed.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

There have been other backpacking films funded through Kickstarter such as Mile ... Mile & A Half which is a great film on the JMT. Best of luck on completing the triple crown and getting your project funded!

Images

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but people who post on WB just to ask for money, annoy me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bfayer; 11-06-2013 at 16:31.

Maybe I should start a kickstarter campaign to pay my child support. This working and responsibility stuff is really distracting.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Why only 3 posts since 2010?...... Good luck on the project and I hope you achieve your goal.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    Why only 3 posts since 2010?...... Good luck on the project and I hope you achieve your goal.
    Well, it could be the post count got messed up like so many others. Yay!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post
    Well, it could be the post count got messed up like so many others. Yay!!
    Always the optimist. I could tell a joke about a kid looking for a pony right now, but I won't.

OP, you better put your rhino suit on as you read the various posts on this and there is some reason for this, not totally unfounded. I don't know if you're guilty or not of what causes the skepticism; however, you are guilty by association, so just suck it up.

Images

Let me elaborate on my earlier post.

If my neighbor comes to me and asks me to buy something from their school fund raiser, I buy something, after all they are my neighbor and we need to look out for each other. If someone I don't know asks me for help and has an emergency need, I help if I can.

But when someone I don't know and who does not have real need (just a want), comes to my door and asks for money, I get annoyed. I get especially annoyed when they start talking about medical problems and then want the money for something that has nothing to do with their medical problems.

Like I said sorry to sound rude, but asking for money on the third post is a little scummy to me. Especially after bragging about trips all over the world. I have no doubt that the OP could get a job and earn enough money in 6 months to pay for his project and hike.

There is nothing more inspiring to me than to see someone with a disability show the world that they can make it on their own and not have to depend on the financial support of others. Asking for money to go hiking, not so inspiring.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I clicked on the link and read the page. It would seem the OP is requesting money for "the project" which includes the hike as well as production. I'll save my comments on whether it's a legitimate ask or not. That's way too long for a post in this thread.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Tell us more about an AT and PCT thru-hike. Who'd you hike with? Who met you along those hikes? Did you attend the PCT Kick Off or Trail Days? Did you sign any shelter journals along the hikes you say you did? Are you aware that more than a few recent scammers have hit up WB users seeking funds?

To receive any matching money from Kickstarter, it looks like you must raise your own funds which is why you're hitting us up here on WB. If anyone wants to pay for the cost of your hike as well as film production, that's their prerogative but personally, I think you should pay yourself for your own endeavors, like 99% of long distance hikers. Lion King doesn't solicit funds for his film-making on WB.

Now if you want to raise funds for a 3rd party organization dedicated to combating Crohn's, that's another matter.

sorry to hear about your health issues. i also have an incurable, progressive, and terminal illness. that said, i'm not asking anyone to pay for my backpacking trips.

By using Kickstarter, the OP implicitly is stating that this is not a "fund my life" project because otherwise he would be violating the Kickstarter terms of service. There are many, many projects on kickstarter where people are creating documentaries, films, travel memoirs, etc. I think the OP deserves the benefit of the doubt. Although I personally won't fund the project obviously many people are doing so for similar projects all the time. Nothing illegitimate about that IMO.

I've got enough posts here if the post count issue is fixed to legitimatly ask for $8.79 from each Whiteblaze member I have annoyed. $8.79 from 1000 WB members will finally afford me the opportunity to finish the thru hike of the Neusiok trail. But for only an additional $1.64 I will triple yo-yo the trail and include a snapshot and personal letter from the 26' summit of the great Neusiok trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    I've got enough posts here if the post count issue is fixed to legitimatly ask for $8.79 from each Whiteblaze member I have annoyed. $8.79 from 1000 WB members will finally afford me the opportunity to finish the thru hike of the Neusiok trail. But for only an additional $1.64 I will triple yo-yo the trail and include a snapshot and personal letter from the 26' summit of the great Neusiok trail.
    do you take paypal?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    do you take paypal?
    Just need your routing and account number

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++