WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default AT produces smelly hikers huh?

Well one lady has a solution for all us stinky trail people. Here are her comments from a post about an incident in a school class room:

I have asthma, and I would rather smell Axe than some of the people I have to put up with. I deal with the public, and people hiking the Appalachian trail stop by our business. I wish they would use Axe, they are so rank you almost feel your nose hair burning! Baby wipes aren't that heavy to carry, they could wipe themselves off with them. I have had to use my rescue inhaler more than once a day during weeks when the hikers really start passing through.

Images

Actually the title of the post should be: Hikers produce a smelly AT

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

axe makes me choke, that stuff smells horrible. gimme a smelly hiker any day over that crap

Journal Entries

We are dirty and stinky and so well loved

Can you imagine how bad the shelters would reek be if all the hikers used Axe
    Last edited by Starchild; 11-01-2013 at 13:33.

Exercise=sweat=smell.She didn't say what kind of business she owns that the hikers frequent but I would guess that she benefits from the visits.Smell from patrons just part of doing business.

Mike

Actually, it's the clothes and pack that stink, so baby wipes aren't gonna help. That's why it's nice to leave your pack outside and have a town shirt.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    axe makes me choke, that stuff smells horrible. gimme a smelly hiker any day over that crap
    Kind of like the old "Brute" brand products from my younger days. Who can forget the Brute gift sets they got at Christmas time? I think my family was trying to tell me something.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    We are dirty and stinky and so well loved

Yes, we are a real benefit to mankind.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    I actually brought a trial size bottle of axe on one of my first hikes years ago, I learned two things:

1) AXE smells terrible, worse than hiker stench IMO, (to steal a line from Carlin) kind of like the urinal in a portuguese cathouse.

2) AXE does NOTHING to cover up hiker stench, it just adds a second smell and the two mix together into a far worse smell.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Also, while i admit that i'm not very knowledgeabe about Asthma, i didn't think it was physically possible for the natural smell of another human to trigger an attack. Can anyone here confirm this or correct me?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

When the kids were in middle school at one of the pta meetings they told everyone not to give their kids Axe. Said that after PE class (these days kids don't shower after PE like I did back in the dark ages) the kids all use Axe to cover up the stink. Teacher said you can not believe how the class rooms smell with a bunch of sweaty kids trying to cover up the stink with Axe.

I have a set of camp clothes that I use after I finish walking for the day. I try to wipe down with individually packaged wet wipes before changing into these camp clothes. When going into "civilization", I will use these camp clothes after wiping down again near the trailhead. The shirt is smartwool and doesn't hold an odor. I think that if hikers were willing to carry a very small amount of additional weight (well under a pound) to not go into establishments with hiking clothes that would solve most of the problem. Plus having clean camp clothes each afternoon and evening is pretty nice as well.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Also, while i admit that i'm not very knowledgeabe about Asthma, i didn't think it was physically possible for the natural smell of another human to trigger an attack. Can anyone here confirm this or correct me?
    I looked it up quickly, and it seem that body odors were not on the list at asthma.com, but perfumes were. Though stress was, which if she is bothered so much might be the trigger.

Not all hikers smell. The lazy ones do though.

Sent from somewhere.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lush242000 View Post
    Not all hikers smell. The lazy ones do though.

Sent from somewhere.
    .....says the section hiker
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Mix Old Spice, Brute and High Karate together and you have AXE! You're welcome! Oh don't even get me started on the soap on a rope
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Oh wait did I just give away my age LOL!!!
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    .....says the section hiker
    really. i was just out for 2 months this spring, and i still havent washed the smell out of my clothes.im lazy, i guess.
    but i do wear hai karate when i can find it. im careful how i use it, too.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Hmm. Even for a clueless weekender, not stinking at the post-hike dinner after a 3- or 4-day section can be important.

In cold weather, I try very hard not to get sweaty, because sweaty now will mean COLD later. So I don't stink nearly so bad in colder weather. In hot weather, I bring along my Sea to Summit bucket, a bandana, a dollar store sham-wow, and a little bottle of Dr Bronner's soap.

Yes. I bathe on the trail. As you'll have heard in earlier posts, I also have been known actually to cook meals on the trail. The time taken for these activities means that I go a mile or three less a day. The extra weight for them is less than half a pound. I think that if I did longer excursions, I'd keep with this pattern, because for me, real food and a bath are a morale booster.

But I think I'm repeating myself. (On the other hand, people keep starting these threads...)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++