WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default Weird, different, unusualthings eaten on the trails....

Intentionally, unintentionally or even accidentally, what are some of the things you've eaten on the trail as a snack, meal, or dessert? Bugs are not to be included unless it was a really big one!

I can honestly say I've never eaten nor would I bring on the trail:
    --Pigs feet
    --brains
    --intestines
    --tongue
    --stomach

Has anyone actually eaten these things or other strange foods on a hike?

Kimchi and sushi. Not typical trail food, but I've made and eaten them on the trail.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I've been known to pack up to 5LBS of fresh fruit when I'm hiking out of town, mostly apples, pears and bananas. Wierd? No. Unusual? Absolutely.

Wierdest thing i've ever had on the trail was fruit flavored codliver oil. I was hiking with a buddy who brought it because he insisted it was an anti-inflamatory.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Intentionally, unintentionally or even accidentally, what are some of the things you've eaten on the trail as a snack, meal, or dessert? Bugs are not to be included unless it was a really big one!

--Pigs feet
    --brains
    --intestines
    --tongue
    --stomach

Have you never eaten sausage or a hot dog!?! Chances are you've eaten intestines (casing for sausages), and likely to have eaten tongue as a sausage or hot dog ingredient. Outside of a nice sausage, tongue tastes like bologna, stomach (tripe) isn't worth a darn IMHO, brains are tasty in scrambled eggs (but still weird), and pigs feet are supposed to be great, too, but I've never (knowingly) eaten them.

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

I'm French Canadian on my father's side. A couple of tasty homemade head cheese (pretty much everything found in a pork head that isn't hard) sandwiches with lots of blk pepper & some mayo on homemade grain bread is a favorite of mine. 2 downsides though: #1) I'm so spoiled on my Aunt Lea's recipe for head cheese that I don't....make that won't....eat the store bought variety. I always have a ton of it waiting for me on my trips up to her place in Mason, NH. #2) It never lasts long after I get it home. I then have to wait for my next trip! I also make sure to have a few sammies in the daypack/pockets during deer season......even if I have to make a dedicated trip for it. I also like a wedge or 3 of good French meat pie.....hot or cold! Another is gray squirrel jerky. I whip up a big batch of Brunswick stew for a local game dinner every year, so I harvest a lot of 'tree rats' during the season. I make up about 2 or 3 lbs of jerky before dedicating the rest to the club feast. So, this stuff is kind of weird/different/unusual for many folks, but pretty darn tasty IMHO!! I've been a practicing survivalist since 1977, but, per your request, I won't get into which insects taste best....
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Not sure if many consider it unusual but the only time I eat SPAM is on the trail. cook it up with some packaged chicken and a side of instant mashed taters and you have yourself a pretty good dinner.

--Pigs feet
    --brains
    --intestines
    --tongue
    --stomach

So I assume U don't eat SPAM on the trail? It's a frackin joke. Although I don't eat it.

All on trail: I think, eating a 1/2 gal of ice cream in one sitting qualifies(not me). Radishes, cucumbers, dehydrated avocado/watermelon/honeydew melon, Tuna/salmon jerky(all me). A whole watermelon(I certainly didn't carry that in, it was offered to me and I ate the whole thing, not one of those ice box sized either). Have seen others eating possum, raccoon, armadillo, squirrels(I've eaten these many times), ? Grouse( those really colorful species on the AT that you can practically walk up on and grab, I hear some say they aren't that bad while others say they are the worst tasting bird they ever ate), scorpions, snails(me, cook these babies), crawfish caught in streams( I've done this), earthworms(myself as well as others), crickets(me), snakes(quite a few hikers I've seen eat rattlesnakes, I haven't though, etc

I hear all these things taste like chicken.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    So I assume U don't eat SPAM on the trail? It's a frackin joke. Although I don't eat it.

All on trail: I think, eating a 1/2 gal of ice cream in one sitting qualifies(not me). Radishes, cucumbers, dehydrated avocado/watermelon/honeydew melon, Tuna/salmon jerky(all me). A whole watermelon(I certainly didn't carry that in, it was offered to me and I ate the whole thing, not one of those ice box sized either). Have seen others eating possum, raccoon, armadillo, squirrels(I've eaten these many times), ? Grouse( those really colorful species on the AT that you can practically walk up on and grab, I hear some say they aren't that bad while others say they are the worst tasting bird they ever ate), scorpions, snails(me, cook these babies), crawfish caught in streams( I've done this), earthworms(myself as well as others), crickets(me), snakes(quite a few hikers I've seen eat rattlesnakes, I haven't though, etc

I've had the opportunity to eat all of the 'wild' items on your list.....didn't care for the armadillo when I tried it in Louisiana...better to use them in a game of touch football (wear your welding gloves....dem claws is sharp) & let them go when done! Grouse is tasty...especially smoked over apple or cherry wood! Coon (beaver, too) is greasy, so spiced up on a spit over an open hardwood coal fire does the trick for me. Snails I like raw or cooked. Crawdaddies are like a bit of heaven in the wilds. Worms are better pan-fried to a crunchy doneness than saute'd. Crickets & grasshoppers are good lightly toasted in a hot pan...just get the wings & legs off 1st. They'll stick in the throat!! No fun!! I've had more than my share of rattler (various varieties) & I really enjoy it. But it does not taste like chicken! Tastes like rattler! As usual....YMMV, but in this post it means 'Your Menu May Vary'!!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

--Pigs feet
    --brains
    --intestines
    --tongue
    --stomach

Smilax tips
    Basswood leaves
    Dandelion greens
    Nettles greens
    home grown/home made collard kraut

Woman was eating lunch at this place I worked part time and she was eating a tongue sandwich. Only problem was she did not cut off the taste buds on the tongue and it really grossed me out. Needless to say, that stuff does not cross my lips knowingly. But I agree with DeadEye that all the stuff mention at the beginning of this thread is in processed meats and I do love hot dogs and sausage and other processed meats. Out of sight out of mind I guess. Rolls

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

Nope, never have eaten spam on my long hikes......that is until my next one, b/c I've already prepped the dinners and spam is a meat in about 50 of them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Have you never eaten sausage or a hot dog!?! Chances are you've eaten intestines (casing for sausages), and likely to have eaten tongue as a sausage or hot dog ingredient. Outside of a nice sausage, tongue tastes like bologna, stomach (tripe) isn't worth a darn IMHO, brains are tasty in scrambled eggs (but still weird), and pigs feet are supposed to be great, too, but I've never (knowingly) eaten them.

Always gotta be replies like this from people that are sticklers about how you phrase a question or post.

Believe it or not, no I haven't eaten sausage or hot dogs "on the trail", but yes I have at home. The question was asked if any one has eaten "intestines", not a hotdog or sausage.

Journal Entries

I've tried chitlins (pig intestines) more than once & cooked a cpl different ways. I'll eat pretty much anything, and I do mean anything, that's edible, but they will NEVER, EVER cross this palate again!!
    Chief Seattle

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Pod Bob View Post
    I've tried chitlins (pig intestines) more than once & cooked a cpl different ways. I'll eat pretty much anything, and I do mean anything, that's edible, but they will NEVER, EVER cross this palate again!!
    I am willing to try anything at least once also, just not sure how appetizing it would be on the trail.

I hike with Taro several hundred miles on my thru and he shared his dried squid and octopus with me.

I've eaten scorpion, grilled over charcoal. I can't say that it tasted like chicken, because this was in China, after a hike on an undeveloped section of the Great Wall, and the seasonings were strong enough to cover the basic taste.I've also eaten mustard garlic, an invasive plant that is common on the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    Woman was eating lunch at this place I worked part time and she was eating a tongue sandwich. Only problem was she did not cut off the taste buds on the tongue and it really grossed me out. Needless to say, that stuff does not cross my lips knowingly. But I agree with DeadEye that all the stuff mention at the beginning of this thread is in processed meats and I do love hot dogs and sausage and other processed meats. Out of sight out of mind I guess. Rolls

the French and Vietnamese eat this quite a bit... my mom went to French Culinary School in Paris after the war so we had it on our table from time to time... I loved it.

Oxtail Soup on the AT trail from scratch... once. - Today its very hard to get. - pricey too...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Pop tarts, just once.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Pop tarts, just once.
    eeewww

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++