WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Images

It's getting so close, I can't wait! I was going to lounge in Chicago for the food fest 10-13, but now a two night backpack north of Chicago with my cousin instead. Does anyone have a recommendation for that area? Not big miles, he is off the office chair...

I was looking at north kettle moraine state forest area where the ice age trail is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

See you other SOBO'S out there!

K-9 is currently at Andover (ME).

k-9 ? Really? Hmmmm.....
    "May life be as spiritually rich as it is materially simple" Aboriginal Proverb

Came over The Horn and Saddleback yesterday into Rangeley as the remnants of Hurricane Arthur blew through. Wet and cold on exposed summits above treeline with windblown rain = hypothermia stew. Lots of arm-flappin' and heat generating movements on those slow, wet descents people, keep moving and stay warm!
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Just arrived on the Maine coast for a weeks family vacation before I get dropped off at BSP. I'm paying it forward, since I plan to be gone until Christmas... Still planning to start southbound July 12! One week to go!
    Going SOBO in 2014!
    My Trail Journal

Forrest I will see you soon. July 9th
    "May life be as spiritually rich as it is materially simple" Aboriginal Proverb

Flying up to Bangor tomorrow. Hiking Katahdin Tuesday and heading south on Wednesday. Getting my packing done today

Left the trail for home in Stratton due to foot problems. From the get-go I developed super swollen and tender pinky toes as well as extremely painful arches. I foolishly dealt with the pain in the hundred mile wilderness popping ibuprofen; which made the problem much worse. Taking two zero days in monson as well as getting new shoes temporarily relieved the pain but the relief was short-lived. Hobbling and wincing from pain going from lean-to to lean-to broke me down and took the pleasure out of hiking further.

I'm defeated but not discouraged. I found that the people I encountered really made the trail special. I will be back, but will be making the AT a multiple year section hike. I met many section hikers that really sold me. Good luck to all of you and happy trails!

I'm sorry to hear it. I know first hand how disappointed you probably feel, but like you I came away from the trail with an incredible appreciation for the special people I met along the way. I hope you heal up well and soon.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Blue Rose from KY here. Arrriving in Bangor via Greyhound on July 10th. Will be hiking Katadin Friday.
    Setting up a couple food drops for HMW. Hope to see other SOBO's! Staying at Millinock before summit. Anyone else here Thursday or Friday?

Greetings all! Michael G. (Max-heap) checking in from Monson. I summited Katahdin on 7/1, did some non-AT day hiking in Baxter on 7/2, completed the hundred mile wilderness from 7/4-7/11 and have been waiting the arrival of new shoes (mine were too small and causing excessive discomfort) here tomorrow before resuming. Mostly I'll be tracking my progress via updates to my personal blogsite at www.maxheap.net (all welcome), but really like the site here and would love to stay in touch with you all! See you in Springer!

Started July 12th as planned. Completed the 100 mile wilderness (which is not such a wilderness any more! But still difficult hiking!) now at Shaws in Monson and will head back out the 21st. I've made a bunch on entries at trailjounals.com/forrest14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Going SOBO in 2014!
    My Trail Journal

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    Started July 12th as planned. Completed the 100 mile wilderness (which is not such a wilderness any more! But still difficult hiking!) now at Shaws in Monson and will head back out the 21st. I've made a bunch on entries at trailjounals.com/forrest14

Good deal Forrest, stay safe out there, and have a great hike.

I'm not doing a through, but a pretty significant section: Linden, VA just north of Shenandoah to Springer starting August 6. Will I run into any of you folks on that timeline?

I made it to Stratton! Passed the 2000 mile sign today, which has a totally different meaning for a southbounder. Only 2000 miles to go!

Going SOBO in 2014!
    My Trail Journal

I leave Friday August 1st and will start in Gorham, NH. So excited!

Made it to Andover - I'm a little tired, which is an understatement. So I will take a zero today, my second one in 20 days on the trail.

Going SOBO in 2014!
    My Trail Journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    Made it to Andover - I'm a little tired, which is an understatement. So I will take a zero today, my second one in 20 days on the trail.
    I've been following your Trail Journal and I'm pleased to read of your progress.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Way to go, Forrest! I too am enjoying your journal -- vicarously enjoying the hike that ended too early for me. Keep smiling, stay safe!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Made it to Gorham NH - I'm out of Maine! But the Whites are next...

Going SOBO in 2014!
    My Trail Journal

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
++ New Posts ++