WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Good luck and happy hiking to everyone. I started on June 7th, and unfortunately had to get off the trail in the HMW due to a knee injury. It was short, but I still had the time of my life and met some fantastic people!

Have a great hike!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Sorry to hear about your knee TwoSpirits hope it heals up. I just booked my flight for the 16th of july and will start the 17th. Looking forward to this trip, i cant wait.

Thank you. Katahdin was intense, the HMW was gnarly, but a simple stumble on a flat section can sure catch you off guard. Be careful, but savor every minute!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

That can happen to anyone. Hope you can come back soon and have better luck next time.

Thank you. Unfortunately my hiking is over for the year and will have to enjoy the trail vicariously by following others. And you are right -- it can happen to anyone. All the planning and preparation in the world can't keep some of the simplest things from happening. C'est le vie. Still wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    Thank you. Unfortunately my hiking is over for the year and will have to enjoy the trail vicariously by following others. And you are right -- it can happen to anyone. All the planning and preparation in the world can't keep some of the simplest things from happening. C'est le vie. Still wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
    That's one of the things I worry about, being 60 and having bad joints and a history of plantar fasciitis. All you can do is prepare and hope for the best. I've been training by just walking and walking and walking - about 5 hours a day, which is less than I'll do on the trail, but at home there are other tasks to do. I've found that taking a day off doesn't help - I actually feel worse...
    Going SOBO in 2014!
    My Trail Journal

Yep. No sense worrying about things you can't control. Like you said, prepare -- prepare your body and mind as best you can, and hope for the best. IF you do happen to get blindsided by the unexpected, it's important to know your bailout points and to keep up a good attitude.

Good luck with your hike, Forrest!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

Default SOBO to Harpers Ferry

I am thinking about starting on July 27th 2014 to start southbound . Is anybody else leaving that late? I recently had a pacemaker inplanted and trying to work out the bugs with my backpack and straps.. I will get the doctor's approval on the 7th of July. I'm not new to hiking and have attempted my thur Hike twice before 2011, 2012 after I retired and nave completed 1200 miles of the AT. I am just trying to complete something I started , also because of the great folks I have met on the trail.

TwoSpirits, this is my biggest fear more than anything else as I get ready to start my thru-hike: a random injury forcing me out of action. But I really admire your attitude and how you have chosen to focus on the positives from your trip. I think this is the way I need to look at it... que sera, sera, and all that. Anyway, I leave for Maine in one week and will be climbing Katahdin on the 7th! I can't wait to get out there and I'm looking forward to meeting some of you on the trail.

scs, I hope you have a great trip! I'll be honest: if I had known ahead of time exactly how it would go, I wouldn't have have done it...but then I wouldn't have had the other great experiences I did have, and wouldn't have met the people I did. There are moments when my attitude isn't very admirable, but I really do appreciate the experience for what it was.

Have a great trip! I look forward to hearing how it goes!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

10 more days!
    "May life be as spiritually rich as it is materially simple" Aboriginal Proverb

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    scs, I hope you have a great trip! I'll be honest: if I had known ahead of time exactly how it would go, I wouldn't have have done it...but then I wouldn't have had the other great experiences I did have, and wouldn't have met the people I did. There are moments when my attitude isn't very admirable, but I really do appreciate the experience for what it was.

Have a great trip! I look forward to hearing how it goes!
    Friends, thanks for stopping in. You know, I am not perfect and I am human. I am a one man operation that has probably contributed more to the trail than anyone I know. I usually don't brag about it but I was thinking a few days back, "I love Hikers to be successful and I will try to help them". I have saw in my life people who lye to them, rip them off, and all kinds of kukie stuff. In my mind, I have always been fair, a straight person and did what I thought was honest and right. I see some who don't think that is enough. I am to the age, I am proud for what I do for hikers in spite of those few. Actually look at my new web page for my hiker services Ron Haven Hiker Services. Love you folks, take care and happy hiking........

9 more days

We started on the June 17th, finished the 100MW in 5 days. It was as gnarly as can be, but a great start nonetheless. Just got out of the Bigelows and taking a zero in Stratton. To all about to start, stick it out, the 100 mile is more psychological than physical, although it's pretty dang tough, mainly through the Chairbacks and Barrens. The fords are no problem, just take em nice and slow, and be cautious if you're fording during or just after a big rain.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

@poedog, whats the water situation in main, weather, bugs, ect? Details would be nice. 5 days to get through the HMW? Talk about beast mode.

Quote Originally Posted by redzombie View Post
    @poedog, whats the water situation in main, weather, bugs, ect? Details would be nice. 5 days to get through the HMW? Talk about beast mode.
    Water is plentiful, as a matter of fact I've been carrying little to no water and just camel up at every water source I find. Carry water over the big climbs (White Cap, Chairback, Barren, etc). Weather has been great, save for a few days of rain. We walked out of Monson on Wednesday in the rain and trudged 20 miles that day wet and happy. Be sure to double or triple bag your down bags/clothes. If it's warm out, don't be afraid to get wet. Lots of boggy, wet trail, tons of roots and mud. (How far to the left or right of the trail can you go before you're technically not ON the AT?) Black flies are gone, but the mosquitoes are out in force. Hammock spots thusfar have been tougher than down south due to the overgrowth, so we've been hanging around listed campsites/shelters. These northern mtns are no joke! Check out more of our journey thusfar at unboundroutes.com
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Thanks for the update Poedog. 100 MW in 5 days is awesome. Keep updating that blog so i can get some heads up before i leave in a few weeks.

8 more days

Hey SOBO's- good luck doing the trail "the wrong way"!
    Keep an eye out for Joey "Flash" Camps coming your way and wish him well.
    Same with Dakota Joe, who is likely about to finish his NOBO and YO! YO! his way south with you folks.

Poedog- congrats on the bikeride- way to arrive in style-enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Hey SOBO's- good luck doing the trail "the wrong way"!
    Keep an eye out for Joey "Flash" Camps coming your way and wish him well.
    Same with Dakota Joe, who is likely about to finish his NOBO and YO! YO! his way south with you folks.

Poedog- congrats on the bikeride- way to arrive in style-enjoy!
    Thanks JB.

Oh, and just a heads up, some of the nasty virus is hitting hard around the Bigelows/Sugarloaf area.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
++ New Posts ++