WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Looks like Brega Bob had a tough time at the start - the link is to his trail journal. But he is soldiering on!

I am getting my food boxes together. I will be done with that in a few days. I know its buggy up there now but I am getting anxious to start my SOBO. I was hoping to find someone to car pool with to save a few bucks. But I am going to book a flight pretty soon $400+ if I purchase a few weeks in advance. I know that as soon as I book a flight I will find two or three car poolers ready to go LOL. Buses seem to have a lot of long layovers hanging around the station. Maybe I should check out Amtrak. I never rode a train except for an old steam engine. Actually I prefer hiking Maine in August but any other state in August will be nice too!
    Chase

I am getting my food boxes together. I will be done with that in a few days. I know its buggy up there now but I am getting anxious to start my SOBO. I was hoping to find someone to car pool with to save a few bucks. But I am going to book a flight pretty soon $400+ if I purchase a few weeks in advance. I know that as soon as I book a flight I will find two or three car poolers ready to go LOL. Buses seem to have a lot of long layovers hanging around the station. Maybe I should check out Amtrak. I never rode a train except for an old steam engine. Actually I prefer hiking Maine in August but any other state in August will be nice too!
    Chase

Alrighty, I do not see a way to delete my extra post. Maybe another cup of coffee will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by chase View Post
    Maybe I should check out Amtrak. I never rode a train except for an old steam engine.
    Amtrak all the way. I'm leaving on A-track tomorrow out of Charlottesville ---> Bangor for around $150. Start my SOBO on Wednesday.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Looks like about 25 hours. I can catch a train from Greensboro, NC for about $50. more. What are you planning for the self transfer in Boston? Is there a bus, walk, cab?

Quote Originally Posted by chase View Post
    Looks like about 25 hours. I can catch a train from Greensboro, NC for about $50. more. What are you planning for the self transfer in Boston? Is there a bus, walk, cab?
    Its a pretty straightforward transfer from Back Bay Station to North Station. Get off train, go to ticket machine, purchase fare to North Station, get on proper train, wait 6 or seven stops, get off, walk 100 yards to North Station. There's detailed info if you google "Back Bay to North Station transfer", etc.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Poedog! Hittin the trail soon homie?! You got this man! And everyone else: you got this too! Lets make this the best year of the Sobo ever! Record Completion numbers! Encourage your fellow hiker and then rib em a little bit! Screw the weather cause its never what you want, dang those bugs with deet, jump in that mud, and hike the heck outta this trail! I will see some of you out there for a good luck daps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want you to doubt me. I don't want you to believe, because this is something I must use to succeed." -Eminem

Last Maine report. HMW and the 10 miles south of KSC are in good to great condition as of last week, though they have received some rain the last couple days. I would expect some boggy conditions south of Monson, as that section was very wet a couple weeks ago. 33 miles north of Grafton Notch also generally great conditions for the time of year, just a little overgrown and a few blowdowns (e.g., near Wyman Mountain). Slacking that 33 mile section from The Cabin made it quite enjoyable. Thank you Honey, Bear, and Don!

So how is everyone getting food for Mt. Katahdin and the 100 mile wilderness. If your flying are you bringing food with you on plane, or shipping a few boxes out ahead of time. For those who have hiked before, should you just buy supplies at the store at Abol bridge? Thoughts?
    "May life be as spiritually rich as it is materially simple" Aboriginal Proverb

I didn't even go in the store when I started my section hike from there last year, since I had everything I needed, but I understand it is just a campground store. You can shop in Millinocket before going to the park at a real grocery store. Are you staying at the AT Lodge in Millinocket? They can shuttle you around.
    Going SOBO in 2014!
    My Trail Journal

I am being picked up at bangor airport at 5am and being dropped off at Baxter at 7am. I doubt their will be anything open at that hour.

Images

I am going to do my shopping in Milinocket. Two nights at Katahdin cabins on 14-15th! Less than a month away, getting excited!

yeah I think I will just ship two usps flat rate boxes to Philp at 100 milewilderness. I hear TSA is anal about alcohol stoves especially if they are empty or have residue. So I will mail my alcohol stove, food, and other miscellaneous items ahead of time.

Also off topic, but anyone excited about hiking in during El Nino ? lol

The weather is what the weather is. Looking forward to walking through it no matter what it does!
    Going SOBO in 2014!
    My Trail Journal

I plan to mail one box of food to the AT Lodge. I have food to be stashed in the 100 mile Wilderness, food for summiting and hanging around Katahdin Stream and food to start my hike with. Its probably cheaper than carrying another parcel at the Airport and a lot less trouble. I stick my pack in a $5 Walmart laundry bag with a few pieces of cardboard inside. Then duct tape it up. When I climb Katahdin I may just stick my pack contents in the laundry bag to leave at the Ranger station. That way I can climb with my pack almost empty but still have the convenience of my pack with camera attached and easily accessible etc.

chase

To all the 2014 SoBo'ers: HAPPY HIKING! I am a member of the 2013 class, starting June 27th and ending December 18th. Just wanted to say Hey and hope you guys and girls have as much fun as I did with my own SoBo family!

HoverJob

12 more days!

15 more days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Going SOBO in 2014!
    My Trail Journal

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++