WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Images

Just hiked from the caratunk road to horseshoe canyon lean-to and back this weekend. Snow and ice were present in places, especially the north slopes, but there was no post holing or really bad slick sections. The west branch of the piscataquis river was almost to my waist and flowing, but fordable, especially with the nice overhead rope.

Hello all, been lurking and planning a northbound hike for years. This is the year but life has pushed my start date back - makes more sense to head south. Feels right. Have KCS site reserved for 7/3-4, hiking Katahdin on the 4th of July (for better or worse) then Georgia bound (home). Looking forward to meeting all of you coming, going or sitting still on a bar stool!

Quote Originally Posted by floatn76 View Post
    Hello all, been lurking and planning a northbound hike for years. This is the year but life has pushed my start date back - makes more sense to head south. Feels right. Have KCS site reserved for 7/3-4, hiking Katahdin on the 4th of July (for better or worse) then Georgia bound (home). Looking forward to meeting all of you coming, going or sitting still on a bar stool!
    Welcome - I'm hiking home too (Georgia, SW of Atlanta), starting a week after you. Maybe we will see each other somewhere along the line.

Journal Entries

Hey Floatn,
    Best of luck to you. I should be getting out of the HMW by the 4th, if Allah wills it.
    Heading south makes so much sense for so many reasons--ok, for two reasons: crowds and weather.
    Preparing for it, physically and mentally, may be the reasons so few people do it. It seems a more daunting task than NOBO, somehow, despite the fact that many of us are walking home, so to speak. I'm trying to find hills in NW FL to train on, as I can't be driving 5 hours to the GA and AL mountains every weekend no more, but I expect Katahdin to kick my arse. It will be hard to go slow enough to not do damage for the first week or so. Mostly, I'm trying to mentally prepare. There's no way to prepare to be away from my kids and peeps, I suppose, or to be as alone as I will be for some stretches of time, but at least I can try to moderate my social vices--smoking and drinking--in order to quit both "cold turkey" on 6/26 in KSC. If I don't moderate over the next 30 days or so, I'm afraid I'll be even more anxious than I am already.
    I'll look for you in my rear-view mirror.
    Nick
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Quote Originally Posted by Nick P View Post
    but at least I can try to moderate my social vices--smoking and drinking--in order to quit both "cold turkey" on 6/26 in KSC.
    Nick
    Nick, that's great! Quitting cold turkey can be tough though. You'll have other things to think about, which is good, and you will be out of your usual habitual pattern, which is good. But the added stress might not be. Also, one thing I found that surprised me, there's still a lot of smokers and drinkers on the trail, so if you stay at the shelters there will be temptation to overcome...

Good luck - I'm pulling for you.

The lady and I will be starting MEGA in 30 days.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

I'm leaving June 14th. I'm hiking up Katahdin and coming back down on the 13th. Let me know if you want to meet up!

So yeah, im now 1,494.7 miles NoBo and going to sumitt on july 4th and turn around and go SoBo. Anybody going to be doing big miles around that day? 100 mile wilderness in 4 days type miles. Lemme know, maybe we can roll together. If not im flying soli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want you to doubt me. I don't want you to believe, because this is something I must use to succeed." -Eminem

Whats up everyone! I'm leaving June 14th from KSC. I'm hiking up Katahdin and coming back down on the 13th. Let me know if you want to meet up!

Baxter State Park's web page & Facebook page are saying that rangers are still seeing a lot of ice and snow on the trails. None of the Katahdin trails are open yet, and they are refunding the first week of June reservations.... There is going to be a LOT of high fast water even south outside the park! I've been planning for a June 7th start; I sure hope things dry up soon.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

Guess I am glad to be heading out from KSC on July 17th!

July 4th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want you to doubt me. I don't want you to believe, because this is something I must use to succeed." -Eminem

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    Baxter State Park's web page & Facebook page are saying that rangers are still seeing a lot of ice and snow on the trails. None of the Katahdin trails are open yet, and they are refunding the first week of June reservations.... There is going to be a LOT of high fast water even south outside the park! I've been planning for a June 7th start; I sure hope things dry up soon.
    I don't think ice on katahdin has much to do with water levels in the 100 mile wilderness. Peak snowmelt season in Maine is long past. The levels of those fords is probably more dependent on recent precipitation than the ice on one mountain.

I was gonna start on June 1. Can anyone predict when my earliest start date now could be? The rangers on FB say they can't speak to when it will melt, but surely there is some kind of estimate? Otherwise I might have to flip to northbound.

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    I was gonna start on June 1. Can anyone predict when my earliest start date now could be? The rangers on FB say they can't speak to when it will melt, but surely there is some kind of estimate? Otherwise I might have to flip to northbound.
    You could start in Monson, or Stratton, and go north to Katahdin, then go back to where you started and go Southbound. That would give the Katahdin trails time to open before you got there. It's more of a hassle that way, but it's an alternative.

Or you could skip Katahdin and start into the 100 mile wilderness southbound. Then come back and do the climb up Katahdin later.

Sam

I'm getting up to BSP on June 1st with a few other people on here. We're just gonna wait it out until they open the Katahdin trails.

Chris
    Sandals! (SOBO 2014)

Plans have changed. Unfortunately the Dane is staying home now. The logistics are proving to be too much.

So my flight itinerary changed on me. They have me flying into Bangor at 1207 am July 10th. I was supposed to be getting in around 1700 and was taking the Cyr bus, but now that is out of the question now, as that bus leaves around 1800-1830. My Baxter Park reservation is the 10th and leaving the 11th. Anyone know of any shuttles, buses that run that late at night/early? I don't want to wait six hours for the cyr bus, and I don't want to pay 100 bucks to 100wildnerness if I am not spending the night, and I need to hike katahdin on the 10th so I don't have to pay for another day at baxster.

:banana Katahdin Trails Are Opening: 29May14

Quote Originally Posted by chrisschwing View Post
    I'm getting up to BSP on June 1st with a few other people on here. We're just gonna wait it out until they open the Katahdin trails.

Chris
    Just posted tonight on Baxter State Park website: "Notice: The Hunt, Knife Edge and Helon Taylor Trails are now open. Rangers have flagged bypass around snow and ice at the edge of treeline at the base of the Hunt Spur. The Abol Trail remains closed and is marked by orange flagging at the edge of the Tableland. Hikers decending this trail risk a summons by Park Rangers. The Traveler Loop is is also open. All Trails to and out of Chimney Pond remain closed. The Park Tote Road is now open from Togue Pond Gate to approximately 5 miles north of Nesowadnehunk Field and from Matagamon Gate to Trout Brook Crossing. The South Branch Pond and Roaring Brook Roads are also open. All Park Campgrounds except Chimney Pond are now open. Blackflies are active and plentiful. (5/29/14)" I'm another 01Jun14 Sobo'er. looking forward to meeting others on their journeys.
    Seekers eternally Seek, Finders never Find because there is nothing to be found, Those who Know, Just Are. Be happy first... and then let life be what you have caused it to become!

I am at Shaw's in Monson right now, have just completed Monson to Caratunk, and am section hiking part of the hundred mile wilderness today. Bugs and trail were decent, but warmer temps yesterday made the bugs thicker. Fords were easy.

Early starters, I suggest calling Shaw's to get from Bangor, hike to Katahdin from Monson, then get a shuttle back to Monson.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    I am at Shaw's in Monson right now, have just completed Monson to Caratunk, and am section hiking part of the hundred mile wilderness today. Bugs and trail were decent, but warmer temps yesterday made the bugs thicker. Fords were easy.

Early starters, I suggest calling Shaw's to get from Bangor, hike to Katahdin from Monson, then get a shuttle back to Monson.
    Why is this? Why not just start from Katahdin and head south and avoid the need to flipflop and hitch a shuttle? Can you pls clarify, thanks!
    Seekers eternally Seek, Finders never Find because there is nothing to be found, Those who Know, Just Are. Be happy first... and then let life be what you have caused it to become!

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++