WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Images

PM sent to you, I have the same plan but jumping off at monson we can share a lean-to and shuttle maybe

I'm headed sobo on June 8th. I'm considering going all the way to key west and doing a flip flop of the eastern continental trail. I'm hoping to make it to key west by the spring of 2015 and then having a month or two to hitch back to BSP for June and head north into Canada. This is going to be crazy, but I can't wait to get started. Happy hiking everyone and I look forward to seeing you on the trail.

Have you heard of this? I wonder if I can use Palcohol in my alcohol stove and save some weight.

(copied from their web site) .invented by an active guy...hiking, biking, camping, kayaking, etc. After hours of an activity, he sometimes wanted to relax and enjoy a refreshing adult beverage. But those activities, and many others, don't lend themselves to lugging heavy bottles of wine, beer or spirits. The only liquid he wanted to carry was water.

So he thought? Wouldn't it be great to have alcohol in powder form so all one had to do is add water? Since powder is light and compact, it wouldn't be a burden to carry.

Mark searched for powdered alcohol and it wasn't available. So he began his quest to create it. After years of research, experimentation and consultation with scientists around the world, he finally came up with powdered alcohol and called it Palcohol.

I know everybody's getting excited. Those starting in early June are only a month and a half away. I'm still 2 1/2 months out.

Going out for another shakedown hike 4/25 - a thru of the Foothills Trail in SC/NC. About 77 miles. Supposed to be a very wet area with 75 to 80 inches of rain a year - hopefully not all in the last week of April!

Hopefully my gear will be tested and finalized by the time I get back, especially the rain gear!

powdered alcohol (ethanol?) would be a lot like dehydrated water.

Here is my SOBO start plan as of right now...

5/29 - Catch Greyhound Bus from Durham NC to Bangor (express line).

5/30 - Arrive in Bangor that night, Maine. Spend the night CouchSurfing.

5/31 - Catch CYR Bus up to Medway Bus Stop. Spend the night at the Appalachian Trail Lodge (SOBO Special).

6/1 - Catch shuttle to Baxter State Park. Hike Mt. Katahdin and spend the night in Baxter State Park.

6/2 - Embark on rest of hike!

I don't have a trail name yet, but looking forward to meeting some of you!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Sandals! (SOBO 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisschwing View Post

5/31 - Catch CYR Bus up to Medway Bus Stop. Spend the night at the Appalachian Trail Lodge (SOBO Special).

6/1 - Catch shuttle to Baxter State Park. Hike Mt. Katahdin and spend the night in Baxter State Park.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Sounds a lot like my plan, except I arrive on the 30th, will spend that night at the lodge, and spend the next two nights at my reserved lean-to (number 6).

In all seriousness, I'd really like to remain with or near other hikers for the earlier parts of the trail...I've had some bad experiences with water, and having someone else around for stream crossings would be really nice. Hopefully we have similar paces. I'd likely try to adjust pace if it meant some company through Maine.

Images

The owner of the Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket, Ole Man is an encyclopedia of knowledge regarding Katahdin, Baxter State Park and the 100 mile Wilderness. Be sure and meet him...he would love to answer questions before you head out.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

To get CH3CH2OH from H2O plus something it must be a chemical reaction between water and some long chain carbon compound, I am thinking probably a sugar. Supposedly, Palcohol will come in single serving 1oz packets. If it's available before 6/1, I am going to try it in my stove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisschwing View Post

Cheers,
    Chris
    Planning on bringing some Gulf Coast TX heat up with me to ensure "K" opens up! Arrive 31May, 01 or 02Jun summit K and kick off SoBo ( flexible on the two days in case delay by BSP) depart SoBo hopefully nlt 03Jun14. Easy and steady.... been hiking the beach for the last 'mille' mi. so looking forward to the return to some land with actual relief... oh the irony! hope to see y'all there
    Seekers eternally Seek, Finders never Find because there is nothing to be found, Those who Know, Just Are. Be happy first... and then let life be what you have caused it to become!

Images

Tickets booked, Chicago food fest July 10-13, millinocket 15th, head up katahdin 16th. Hope to see everyone out there!

I'd like to request that everyone keep this thread going after you get on the trail by posting updates and locations here. The Southbounders are so few and far between (especially after some hikers go home!) that it would be helpful, and encouraging, to know there are others still out there either ahead or behind. I know that I rarely sign or read the shelter logs.

If you have a smart phone, the tapatalk app works pretty good for reading the forums and posting. You can also subscribe to this thread and get emails when it is updated.

And when you post your location, include your online journal link, if you are keeping one.

See you out there! I'm still planning to start July 12.

Default Oy

Lean to booked for June 17/18. We (gf and I) just finished our transcontinental bike tour and are looking forward to slowing down a bit, and not being nearly crushed by tons of steel on a daily basis. Happy to share the lean to if anyone else is planning a June 18 start date.

Follow us at unboundroutes.com
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Agreed; good idea, forrest! I downloaded the Tapatalk app for this forum because Whiteblaze is a great source of timely information that could be invaluable while on the trail. Nice to have a way of keeping in touch with other SOBO's.

Good luck everyone; enjoy your hike!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    I'd like to request that everyone keep this thread going after you get on the trail by posting updates and locations here. The Southbounders are so few and far between (especially after some hikers go home!) that it would be helpful, and encouraging, to know there are others still out there either ahead or behind. I know that I rarely sign or read the shelter logs.

If you have a smart phone, the tapatalk app works pretty good for reading the forums and posting. You can also subscribe to this thread and get emails when it is updated.

And when you post your location, include your online journal link, if you are keeping one.

See you out there! I'm still planning to start July 12.
    I purchased GutHooks full AT app discounted 20% for about $50. well well worth it, tho I will still bring sections of AT guide (i'm old skool never trust electronics in aircraft or wilderness This app also has it's own trail logs to post in. but realizing not all will have this, I will def plan to make brief posts here in WB about how my "swim" thru the currents and sludge fields is going, just like a much valued PiRep (Pilot Report); but it'll be a HiRep Hiker Report! Hey, maybe a new term has been coined?! "Yo! Doofus. Give a HiRep!" for those of us dumb enough to launch off into the 0/0 fog with embedded t'storms... HiRep, HiRep, HiRep! ("It's better to be down here wishing you were up there than to be up here wishing you were down there!")
    Seekers eternally Seek, Finders never Find because there is nothing to be found, Those who Know, Just Are. Be happy first... and then let life be what you have caused it to become!

I'm planning on doing a SOBO this year as well. Probably start around the end of June / early July.

One thing i recently thought of was how to pay for things along the way....cash vs card. I figure i'll use the credit card where i can for convenience and also to get points (which i can use towards buying new shoes). I'll start out with cash on hand, but just realized there aren't any US Banks along the route. For ATM use, do any of you recommend a specific bank with a good presence along the trail? If you don't mind sharing, what are your plans for using and replenishing cash along the way? Thanks.

nate.

For cash along the trail, my recommendation is to buy something and get cash back. So far, even if the place is charging a fee for cash back, it is cheaper than the ATM fees.

Two months to my start date! I know some of you are 3 weeks from your start date (or less). Let's hope that snow melts soon!

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    Two months to my start date! I know some of you are 3 weeks from your start date (or less). Let's hope that snow melts soon!
    Slowly, but surely. It's finally started to warm up around here and a warm, dry wind takes a toll on the remaining snow. Lets just hope the early birds can cross those streams without being swept too far down stream in the process!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I should have trail reports up in early June, as I plan to do Caratunk to Katahdin Stream Campground in sections starting May 27th or so. I'm pretty sure that conditions are better than the Whites near Slo-go'en, but the fords may be quite a challenge. Does anyone know the trouble spots? I've heard of a "Big 3" fords, and I think that Big Wilson is one of those fords.

I'll probably start my sections near Monson, where there is a bit more shuttle support, but may want to start further north where there may be less snow. Snow line in Whites was between 2000-3000, so the hillier southern sections of that hike may still have snow and ice on the ridges. Planning to bring microspikes (which should also help with the fords), but no snowshoes.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++