WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Forrest: I hope our paths do cross sometime next year. According to your "hiking resume" on Trail Journals, you seem to have a lot of backpacking experience, a lot more than me anyway, and I would welcome the opportunity to learn a few things from you.

I like how there is way fewer of us...

Greetings everyone! My name is Tyler; a friend and I are planning a southbound trip beginning in early-mid June of this year, I have recently started looking into general preparations, such as gear and trail conditions. We have yet to begin preparing our specific logistic preparations but I have the luxury of living about 5 minutes from the trail passing through the Lehigh Gap in PA, so actual backpacking preparation isn't too much of a problem. Anyway, I'm happy to get acquainted with our fellow SOBOers beforehand!

Well, my SOBO isn't on the schedule until 2016, but I'm watching and looking at it already. Just for interest sake, when you start out at Katahdin, do you plan on going up to the summit on the AT and then retracing your steps down, or do you plan on going different routes?
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Well, my SOBO isn't on the schedule until 2016, but I'm watching and looking at it already. Just for interest sake, when you start out at Katahdin, do you plan on going up to the summit on the AT and then retracing your steps down, or do you plan on going different routes?
    I would like to take some other trail up, like the one that leads to the knife edge, and then come down the AT - seems "right" for a southbounder somehow. The problem is the logistics of getting to the other trailheads - long drive on gravel roads. So if I have a lean-to at Katahdin Stream campground (on the AT) getting to the other trailhead and back or the other way around is difficult.

Yeah, we'd prefer to take different paths up so as not to retrace our steps, and hopefully we will find that possible. If not, it ain't no thang in the big picture.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Journal Entries

My plan is to arrange a shuttle to Roaring Brook Campground, having reserved a campsite there (sometime in early July) and take the Helen Taylor trail the 5 miles or so to the summit of Katahdin and camp in Katahdin Stream Campground that night, before moving on to camp and re-supply at Abol Bridge. I haven't made reservations yet, and don't know details on the shuttle, so this plan may fall apart, but as Forrest says, this just seems right for a SOBO. I don't like to start my thru with a full pack over Katahdin, which is the main appeal of the alternative. Besides, I love Baxter, and want to prolong my time and expand my experiences there. I want to re-visit the Knife Edge also.

http://baxterstateparkauthority.com/...aringBrook.pdf

Nick
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Also it's difficult to get to the top of Katahdin, back down, and then out of the park to camp - that's a very tough day. So reserving a lean-to at Katahdin Stream Campground is necessary for us mere mortals.

I'll probably get a lean-to for the night before and the night after I summit.

Forrest

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post

I'll probably get a lean-to for the night before and the night after I summit.

Forrest
    This is definitely my fall-back plan. I'm walking some with my full pack on, but there's no prepping for Baxter in FL.

Journal Entries

Playing with the idea of SOBO June 1st and Walking nearer to Home in Nashville.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    I went up the Abol Trail and down the Hunt Trail (AT). They are fairly close together. Paul from AT Lodge took several of us to KS campground to drop our packs at the ranger station and to pick up a day pack. He then dropped us off at the Abol Trail trailhead on his way out of BSP.

It is looking like things might work out for me this year to do a MEGA hike on the AT! Planning on starting the hike up to Katahdin on June 30th and would love to meet up with other folks if anyone is thinking of going that day as well.

Trail Name: Gravity (given this name on the Long Trail - it was lucky for me then, so I'm sticking with it!)

Now to just survive the wait between now and then...

Quote Originally Posted by Canute600 View Post
    Now to just survive the wait between now and then...
    Yes, the wait is tough for Southbounders. Spring will arrive, the Northbounders will start, and still we will wait.

Forrest

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    I went up the Abol Trail and down the Hunt Trail (AT). They are fairly close together. Paul from AT Lodge took several of us to KS campground to drop our packs at the ranger station and to pick up a day pack. He then dropped us off at the Abol Trail trailhead on his way out of BSP.
    Paul (Ole Man) from the AT Lodge is a great resource for SOBO hikers. http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Hi there, my name is Corie. I am planning to start my SOBO hike June 17th. I am trying to finish in 4 months exactly (mid-October as an end date) .. is this crazy?? I am very fit and have been training, and have great lightweight gear (thanks to a donation) but it seems 6 months is the standard time to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    Hi there, my name is Corie. I am planning to start my SOBO hike June 17th. I am trying to finish in 4 months exactly (mid-October as an end date) .. is this crazy?? I am very fit and have been training, and have great lightweight gear (thanks to a donation) but it seems 6 months is the standard time to finish.
    4 months is 18 miles a day every day. Tough to do that and resupply. So you have to do some bigger miles to make up for zero days and nero days. It can be done though - lots of people have done it. Only you can answer if that is something you want to do.

Images

Hey fellow SOBOers, plan to start my thruhike in June after I take my state boards for nursing as a graduation present to myself. Look forward to seeing you all out there and can't wait until I get boots on the ground.

Images

Question for you SOBO hikers class of 2014. How are you all planning on getting to the northern terminus (I know hiking up to it!) as far as travel logistics go? As far as I can gather a flight to ME then find a shuttle service to take you to Baxter. Am I right in assuming this? What shuttle service are you all using?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DocMahns View Post
    Question for you SOBO hikers class of 2014. How are you all planning on getting to the northern terminus (I know hiking up to it!) as far as travel logistics go? As far as I can gather a flight to ME then find a shuttle service to take you to Baxter. Am I right in assuming this? What shuttle service are you all using?
    Good question, and I'm eager to hear experienced updates and details on logistics. I plan on flying US Airways to Bangor, ME, then ride Cyr bus lines to Millinocket/Medway and arrange (for the following morning, I take it) a shuttle to Roaring Brook Campground, Baxter State Park (for $35). I will hike to KSC the next day.

My main logistical concerns are the bus and shuttle schedules...those posted online seem kinda slim, and I hope that more options are scheduled for the Summer tourists.

No worries; we'll get there, regardless!

Nick

nick, I'm using the AT Lodge sobo special. Flying into Bangor, bussing (via cyr) to medley, and through the sobo special they will pick me up and take me to the lodge. The cyr bus doesn't arrive until 8 pm, so it will be a late night. I plan on staying a full day in town and get another nights rest the start the next day as the lodge will shuttle me to ksc (through the special).

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++