WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

He means if the Katahdin trail is closed for ice and snow. By starting in Monson you give it another week to melt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Going SOBO in 2014!
    My Trail Journal

Default Car rental

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    One of the cheapest ways is to rent a car and drive airport to airport, for instance Atlanta to Bangor is about $100 a day - drive takes 2 days. Then bus to Millinocket and the AT Lodge package. This has the advantage of avoiding the whole TSA/airport hassle.

Forrest
    I have been kicking around the idea of sharing a car rental from Roanoke VA to Bangor. Or sharing expenses with someone headed that way

I have been playing around with Guthooks AT Hiker 3 which covers my home AT area. I like the app, its a fun thing to have along. MY brother used the LT app last year and I hear that the Florida Trail app will be available soon. Also since I use PostHoler for my journals I use Guthooks PCTHYOH app, although geared more towards the PCT it is a great interface for anyone using PostHoler for their journals. Makes it real easy to post daily journal via email.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
    6/1 is around the corner, I have plane tickets, reservations at KSC and Joe Dodge in NH. I have allotted 16 days to get to Pinkham notch. The first night I will probably just stay at KSC. I was wondering if anyone has field tested the Guthooks AT hiker? Next week, I will test the app on the approach trail. I hope that even if there is no cell phone coverage my iPhone will access my location with gps under the canopying trees. Knowing exactly where I am, would, for this hiker be a tremendous advantage mentally because it would help me focus my attention solely on the next mile.

[QUOTE=forrest!;1881601]He means if the Katahdin trail is closed for ice and snow. By starting in Monson you give it another week to melt. gotcha! ok. I just thought all was bone-a$$ cold up yonder regardless of altitude/elevation. I'll bring some S. Tx heat but will leave behind our gulf skeeters :-)

Quote Originally Posted by chase View Post
    I have been kicking around the idea of sharing a car rental from Roanoke VA to Bangor. Or sharing expenses with someone headed that way
    You could get an Amtrak ride for a lot less than a car/gas. That's what we're doing out of Charlottesville.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Just did southern 14 miles of HMW. Trail is a slog (16 miles in 14 hours, including Bodfish Farm access), but in good shape with no boot soaking mud (if you rock/root hop). Bugs are really bad, had to use a bug shirt/hood on some climbs, and still was bitten on wrists. Big Wilson was mid thigh, and running swiftly, stumbled a bit on slick rock, but only went to knees... I rock hopped Little Wilson. New bridge just north of Monson gets you past Spectacle Pond outflow...yeah! In short, nothing difficult, but the trail is not easy (for me), so I needed to take my time on the frequent ascents and descents which were covered with rain soaked leaves and wet slate.

Thank you for this report! Hopefully at this time next week I will be starting my climb to the start at Baxter Peak. Enjoy your hike and be careful.

Sent from...wait, where am I again?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by chase View Post
    Megabus from Christiansburg to Boston, connecting to Maine bus would be cheapest.

Starting June 20th!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by svblur View Post
    Starting June 20th!
    right on, Svblur. Best of luck to you! You have a five-day (and 25 year!) advantage on me, but I will look out for you anyway.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Quote Originally Posted by Nick P View Post
    right on, Svblur. Best of luck to you! You have a five-day (and 25 year!) advantage on me, but I will look out for you anyway.
    You guys both have an advantage on me, but I'll be behind you (July 12th), chugging along. Slow down so I can catch up! Good luck!

I'll be starting on the 9th! Looks like there are quite a few of us starting in the next 2 weeks.
    Good luck everyone!

Hey guys, adding to this post. Gonna be peaking khatadin July 15th and onward to the rest on my SOBO thru

-groundsound

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by tcarolan View Post
    I'll be starting on the 9th! Looks like there are quite a few of us starting in the next 2 weeks.
    Good luck everyone!
    I'll be starting on June 15th. I think all those who planned to start during May and couldn't, because of trail closures, might start now?

AT Thru hiker in planning! 2011 BABY bjj4287's Avatar

My friend and I are looking to hike up Katahdin July 8th! See YAll out there

I'll be spending the night of July 7th at the AT Lodge in Millinocket and hiking up Katahdin of the 8th. Then heading south.

Im still on track for a july 4th summit and then heading into the 100 mile for the night. 100 mile in 4 days is my goal

"I want you to doubt me. I don't want you to believe, because this is something I must use to succeed." -Eminem

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Joe View Post
    Im still on track for a july 4th summit and then heading into the 100 mile for the night. 100 mile in 4 days is my goal

you got that no problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Joe View Post

you got that no problem!

But Lone Wolf,

they told Joe and me we wouldn't survive the winter. Somehow we are still trucking though.

Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++