WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Penn and Teller had an episode on Bullsh.. About smelly people. The question was centered on whether old people smell or not. In a blind test they found people could tell of you were on old or young person. While this is not directly related to the topic it was interesting.

Sent from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Every time I see footage from Woodstock I just want to grab a bar of soap and a fire hose.
    LOL... no one in the movie is any dirtier or smells any worse than the typical hiker entering Damascus.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Sometimes when I come home from an outing, my wife will tell me, "You smell like outdoors. It's nice." when I'm saying to myself, "OMG I gotta get into the shower, I stink." So I tend to believe that stuff about Major Histocompatibility Complex proteins and whatnot.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think that you will discover that the hikers that smell realbad want to. During my thru I washed or showered whenever I could. Most nights I would just wash off with water, my bandana and a little Dr. Boumer's soap. Than I would change into a pair of shorts and a tee shirt that I slept in.
    During my thru I met a hiker that didn't shower even though we were at a hostel that provided towels and soap. I met a SOBO hiker near Kent who stunk so bad I couldn't get close to him. He told me that he hadn't washed since he left Maine.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    I think that you will discover that the hikers that smell realbad want to. During my thru I washed or showered whenever I could. Most nights I would just wash off with water, my bandana and a little Dr. Boumer's soap. Than I would change into a pair of shorts and a tee shirt that I slept in.
    During my thru I met a hiker that didn't shower even though we were at a hostel that provided towels and soap. I met a SOBO hiker near Kent who stunk so bad I couldn't get close to him. He told me that he hadn't washed since he left Maine.
    Too some extent I think this is true. Although you can not keep yourself from stinking, you can mitigate the effects on others with some basic daily hygiene. I have also heard hikers brag about not cleaning themselves for weeks. Since I am not a thru hiker maybe I am out of the loop when it comes to wearing the stench with pride.

As a side note, the spray sold at pet stores for eliminating pets smells from carpet works wonders for packs and such once you get home.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Too some extent I think this is true. Although you can not keep yourself from stinking, you can mitigate the effects on others with some basic daily hygiene. I have also heard hikers brag about not cleaning themselves for weeks. Since I am not a thru hiker maybe I am out of the loop when it comes to wearing the stench with pride.

As a side note, the spray sold at pet stores for eliminating pets smells from carpet works wonders for packs and such once you get home.
    I have bathed twice in the last three days, in water from sources within spitting distance of the AT, though not on the data sheets. I needed a bath in both cases. I absolutely, transcendentally, enjoyed both of them 1000 times more than the one I'm getting ready to take at home now. If you want to stink, you sure can................but you really don't have to.
    Last edited by aficion; 11-06-2013 at 12:39.

Agreed. It also works well for synthetic base layers, although I find that to be a losing battle within a short time after wearing it again. That's one of the main reasons that I have transitioned to merino base layers.

Another very effective method is an overnight soak in warm Oxyclean solution, and a rinse. I did that with my son's ULA Circuit after his thru-hike, and it came out clean and fresh. Let's just say that it didn't start that way.

I have asthma, and I think it is highly unlikely that human stank could trigger an attack.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    .....says the section hiker
    Oh, snap!
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

This will be ignored by those hikers who think it's AOK to always smell and look like a shart turd Pig Pen Peanuts character or those who think Embrace the Brutality means others should also be subjected to the same by embracing your Ohdoor and filthy appearance but here goes.

First, the AT and those who hike it have no monopoly on odors and grime.

Second, it's quite easy to NOT ALWAYS have to smell and look like a turd as a hiker even if on a long distance hike like a thru-hike. I carry a bandanna and/or a ditty rag(C 2 Summit, REI, or piece of Shamwow) on most long distance hikes and wash up/wipe up/scrub down away from drinking water sources(all sources of water should be considered as drinking water sources!). PCT thru-hiker buddy of mine nicknamed Milkjug Express carried a cut down plastic milk jug w/ the handle still attached off the back of his pack just for such occasions - washing himself up and his clothing away from water sources. Don't be afraid of the water all U afraid of the water scaredy cats or speed hikers who don't want to stop to clean up a bit. On the AT a thru-hiker crosses quite a few large rivers and is routed near large lakes/reservoirs, etc. Take a frackin dip Pig Pens and don't create a toxic waste dump doing it.

I almost always have multiple torso apparel so I often have a clean/cleaner one(shirt, jacket, vest, etc) to change into like when first going into town and have not yet done laundry or when I'm hitching a ride. No one enjoys being in a car, restaurant, hostel, hotel, OR LAUNDROMAT with you and your funky grimy gear. How? Rinse clothes out, hang wet clothes from the top/back of a pack(I always have a few safety pins attached to the outside of my pack(stainless or brass ones are my preferable choices), let dry out, and switch back and forth always having a cleaner one to change into. Two prs of socks works well this way too. Rinse off your pack, shelter, shoes , etc when in town. Lots of hotels, hostels, campgrounds, etc have spray hoses. Learn how to wash your quilt/sleeping bag. It's not brain surgery washing a sleeping bag/quilt. This is helpful in several ways - odors attract animals, dirt, sweat and grime have wt(hear that ULers?) and contribute to deterioration of fabrics, decrease breathability, crud up zippers, snaps, velcro, pocket knives, shock corded shelter ferrules, spread bacteria/viruses/invasive species, etc. Some folks carry a small screw cap bottle of Dr Bronners which serves to brush teeth, wash clothes, and scrub your skin and hair. Even a few dabs of Dr Bronners(Peppermint, lavender, Hemp, etc) on shoes, under the armpits, behind the neck, etc can mask the funky smells. Personally, I like Bert's Bees Res Q Ointment with a lavender/rosemary herbal scent(don't worry all U macho types, it's not too feminine smelling, would work for both genders as will Dr Bronners). I use the Bert's Bees Res Q Ointment on my feet in place of carrying a separate anti-friction cream/ointment, skin moisturizer(good for that!), lip balm, cuts/scrapes(has some anti-septic/anti bacterial properties), and for it's fragrance which I all find quite soothing and refreshing. YES, I too can smell my own funky ohdoor and it isn't always pleasant. No, I don't enjoy smelling my own farts either. Save that for immature frat parties. I find the herbals and tacky texture in it also work as a mild insect repellant for some insects. Along that line, I notice some herbal formula Lip Balms are disliked by many insects. The BB Res Q Ointment goes a long way for me. Even a small tin of Tiger Balm(that I sometimes carry) for achy sore muscles and joints can smell better than body funk ohdoor. It's not too hard for folks to cut down on the odor and funk. And, it pays multiple dividends. Who knows who you might meet on a hike, on a hitch, and in towns along the way. I'm here to tell you a hike can provide opportunities and open up doors to all sorts of things. Smelling OK(nice) and being less funky can assist with that. That's another thread topic though.

I've used McNett's MiraZyme Enzyme-Based Odor Eliminator(sold in 8 fl oz bottles), Rank Away(only on my shoes), and RevivX Odor Eliminator on some very funky smelling hiking gear and it has worked well in eliminating many odors. I think Grangers makes something similar.

The lazy ones? Wut what part of 2000 miles is lazy?

Default AT produces smelly hikers huh?

"I have asthma, and I think it is highly unlikely that human stank could trigger an attack."

I agree with you Fertilizer, and I have a hunch that the woman the OP posted about would too. Her statement was:
    "I have asthma, and I would rather smell Axe than some of the people I have to put up with."

I interpreted that to mean that she would rather risk suffering Axe-induced asthma than endure the stench of some hikers. Sounds like she rather have difficulty breathing than to breathe the stench.

Whether Axe will actually cover hiker funk, is another issue! As a hiker, and as someone whose asthma can be triggered by copious amounts of perfume, I'm glad Axe isn't widely used by the AT hiking community. Big fan of biodegradable soap.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    I have bathed twice in the last three days, in water from sources within spitting distance of the AT, though not on the data sheets. I needed a bath in both cases. I absolutely, transcendentally, enjoyed both of them 1000 times more than the one I'm getting ready to take at home now. If you want to stink, you sure can................but you really don't have to.
    AMEN!! I carry a water bag with shower head on it. Usually get laughed at but within 4--5 days, someone will ask to use it for a shower, then the next, and the next and the next.

I almost feel silly talking about things like this, and many other things here, especially when getting into a longer post, examining the minutiae because IF one actually hikes enough rather than getting into so much yakkety yak about hiking and gear from a behind the keyboard, across the table at an outdoor vendor market, at outdoor stores, etc these things start becoming obvious. Of course it does take some observing, learning, willing to notice others who do it better than you, and making the adjustments one feels that are wise when applying things to yourself. You have to get out and do it in a boots on the ground fashion. The difference between knowledge and wisdom IMHO is that wisdom is the ability to apply knowledge. Wisdom as it applies to your own hiking is often gained by actually getting out and hiking? Here we are BSing about hikers being smelly on page 5. I say this because more than half of all that I share did not originate with me. It came from learning what others do and then making it better in the real world by applying that knowledge in the real world. The degree to which one becomes a better hiker is in large measure relative to your real world hiking experiences. There's no substitute.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++