WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NOLS wilderness first responder course

Just wondering if anyone on WB has taken this course,how was it,and how easy is it to get a job in that field in Eastern United States

Images

I took the course, but it was required for my job as a river guide. Knowledge is an amazing tool to have. I definitely recommend this class, or one like it, for anyone who spends a lot of time off the beaten path. Though, basic first aid skills would be enough to get anyone by on the AT.

Here is a link for training on how to become an instructor. It might help answer some of your questions. I would imagine it would depend on your prior training, or if you are just researching job opportunities. My friends who have worked for NOLS have enjoyed their experiences. http://www.nols.edu/wmi/about/teaching_for_wmi.shtml

Thanks alot water rat.im interested in a job as a guide and have read that the course goes a long way with employers

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

I'm a retired firefighter/medic & a WFR. But, I don't work in the field, tho....I became a WFR (not thru NOLS) because I spend more time away from medical services/conveniences than near them. I wouldn't say that I'm more compassionate to suffering than most, but I do have an innate reflex to help where I can, if I have the ability to do so. It's probably why I chose the career that I loved so much, instead of something more financially lucrative! My most memorable WFR experience didn't even involve a human being.....I stitched up an injured fawn! (Yeah, my med kit does include nylon/catgut suture kits, both 2-0 & 3-0) That being said, many entities hire WFRs. Start with an internet search for WFR jobs.....wilderness programs/outfitters, various national/state/local gov't agencies such as the NPS, NFS, depts. of conservation/recreation, SAR, organizations like the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts, etc all have WFR's as employees. You won't get rich, monetarily, in this career choice....but you'll have a very rich life, indeed! Good luck & best wishes to you!!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Images

I took the course when I was a rock climbing/mountaineering guide. It was an awesome course and even though I no longer work as a guide it's something that I thought about taking again. I wish more people in the outdoor world would have these skills even though they may not work as a professional in the outdoor industry. It's great knowledge to have.

Sorry, I can't comment about job opportunities.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine82 View Post
    Thanks alot water rat.im interested in a job as a guide and have read that the course goes a long way with employers
    I know that in the rock climbing/mountaineering guide world, that this certification is absolutely required for all guides services due to liability insurance. In that field it's a "must have" and not a "nice to have". However, it may depend upon the exact "guide" job and who is the employer.
    Last edited by SteelCut; 10-31-2013 at 11:05. Reason: Fixed grammar
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

The local outfitters require folks to get WFR certification which I believe is equivalent to NOLS WFR. It may be worth checking out the firm in my region http://www.soloschools.com/index.cfm?event=page.contact (they do training all over) that does most of regional the certification. The reason for this is one of the other groups may be more convenient.

You won't get rich, monetarily, in this career choice seems to be the truth in my area. There are far more folks with all the certifications than there is full time employment and therefore the rate of pay is low. Most jobs in my area are seasonal and the only way most folks survive is having primary summer job and a primary winter job (ski patrol or snow maker) and then several part time jobs. There are a lot of local carpenters and tradesmen who have all the certifications but switched to building to pay the bills, they usually do this switch once they get married and have kids.

Journal Entries

A WFR is a basic requirement for most places that hire guides. I got it a few years ago, and I am re-certing this year to maintain qualifications. I took it through NOLS/WMI in Baltimore. It was a really good class. about 2 weeks long. For my Raft Guiding job I only need Wilderness First Aid but I would recommend getting the WFR regardless. Honestly though, from what I have seen Outward Bound seems to have more of a presence here on the east coast. They have their own programs that your required to take to work for them. You could also check out REI, they do guide work.

Does anyone know what that particular course costs

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine82 View Post
    Does anyone know what that particular course costs
    It varies......Google is your friend in this technologically burdened society! Start there with 'NOLS' or 'SOLO'.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hey, Sunshine 82. I teach WFR classes, among others. I teach for SOLO, but NOLS/WMI and others are good as well. I also used to run a wilderness based program for adjudicated kids in New York State. I always looked to hire folks with a WFR. It showed both a commitment and compassion. An earlier poster provided SOLO's web address Solooschools.com. You can research locations for a class throught the website. As far as cost, that is a little bit variable. Some sponsors provide meals and lodging, and of course those will cost more. Some other sponsors, Paul Smith's College in Northern New York being one, have managed to cut a day or two off by requiring all students to have taken a 16 hour first aid course, CPR/FPR, etc. WFR classes are offered all year, but the majority of the offerings occur just after New Years and up until late spring/ early summer, so you are coming into the season. You should be able to find a class near you, or perhaps in a location that you would like to visit. I hope you find a class. PM me if you like.

I meant to write, "soloschools.com", not what I wrote in the above post. Sorry.

++ New Posts ++