Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Vickerman View Post
    The big costs i see that i could mostly cut out is food and lodging in town, i kind of have to since im real poor and young.
    Said every hiker that has little or no experience hiking, listen to the people in these threads, with little experience you are more than likely to spend MORE time in towns then less, that is the trap that 95% of the people with no experience and little money fall into on the AT. save for another year, save 6 or 7k and go enjoy it more. if you are serious and have No long distance hiking experience why haven't you went out to the PCT for at least day hikes ? bend Oregon isn't that far away. A lot of people seem to read these book on thru hiking and get this romanticized idea of it , which rarely turns out to be reality.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Weather Carrot is very experienced hiker who is very disciplined. Most hikers, esp ones new to the trail, do not fall into this category.

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNND, how long ago did he write his article?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Several of us are saying to budget more, just in case you happen to need it. It can be tough to figure out how to acquire more money though. Here's how you can put together another ~$2k for your hike while choosing your own hours. Donate blood plasma twice a week at $25 a pop. There's $200 a month right there. Get the rest by working a couple hours online every day on Clickworkers, but start soon because pay is delayed by 3 weeks. If you have a full Windows laptop or tablet, you may even do online work while donating blood plasma. Send me a pm if you have questions. Add this $2k to your $3k, and you have a reasonably safe budget for completing a through hike. You could earn significantly more money if you put the time into it, and you probably should since you have an expensive diet that will a LOT cost more on the trail...food in trail towns isn't cheap, and mailing food isn't cheap either, that's why people are spending upwards of $15 a day on food.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Or you can just head out hoping to make it all the way with the understanding that if you run out of money before you finish you can come back next year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++