WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Anyone have an opiniion?

I'm going to need something warmer than the Kelty Cosmic 20 Down for the winter I suspect. Does anyone have a favorite or a suggestion? I found this one, and the weight/warmth/price ration seems good, but I really have no clue.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...14966.12669396
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 10-29-2013 at 18:42.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Everyone will likely have an opinion! It would be helpful to actually post a link to the one you found, however.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Here is a link to sleeping bags sold at Campmor with 10F and lower ratings, and a somewhat smaller list from REI, and a pretty good variety from Backcountry.

For a significant purchase like this I prefer to go with REI for their 1-year return policy, but they have the most limited selection.

It would help to outline your requirements, such as temperature rating (I'd suggest 0F), down or synthetic (I'd suggest down for true winter conditions for lightness), height, whether you're a cold or warm sleeper, locale, gender perhaps, and even target budget as some of these bags can get pretty pricey. Don't forget to look at the R-value of your sleeping pad also, as a full-length pad (or even layered pads) will play an integral part in keeping you warm enough at low temperatures.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks K....didn't see that my link didn't make it. I'm looking for 0 deg down as light as possible and affoedable....less than 300 would be great

I tried REI, Backcountry and even Amazon. Dicks had this
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

You will have to decide if you are willing to try a quilt or not, but this one is high quality, good temp rating and less than two pounds.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/high-sierra-sniveller/

Journal Entries

Light and affordable dont go that well together with 0 degree thrown in.

Have you considered a synthetic topquilt over your bag?

Journal Entries
    Images

I used a light fleece liner as an outer blanket this weekend....indoors around 35*. I was fine once I warmed up, but the conditions I'll be facing in Jan will be much more cold, and not indoors. I have a really hard time holding body heat, so I guess I'm a cold sleeper. I'm open to the idea of a quilt, but would that be in addition to my current bag? I have an REI Flash pad w/ a 2.5 or so R rating, so I'm pretty well protected from below.

I'll check out the topquilt

Has anyone had tried a Sea To Summit Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner? Did you really feel like you got an extra 15*F from it? Any other thoughts on liners helping to make a current bag you own warmer?

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/24
    Last edited by Astro; 10-29-2013 at 20:23.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Has anyone had tried a ea To Summit Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner? Did you really feel like you got an extra 15*F from it? Any other thoughts on liners helping to make a current bag you own warmer?

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/24
    my buddy just picked one up at Mountain Crossing when he was hiking with an old military bag, he really liked it and said it made a real difference, but thought that 15*F claim was a bit of a stretch
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 10-29-2013 at 20:05.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Hey Teacher, just curious, how tall are you?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I used a light fleece liner as an outer blanket this weekend....indoors around 35*. I was fine once I warmed up, but the conditions I'll be facing in Jan will be much more cold, and not indoors. I have a really hard time holding body heat, so I guess I'm a cold sleeper. I'm open to the idea of a quilt, but would that be in addition to my current bag? I have an REI Flash pad w/ a 2.5 or so R rating, so I'm pretty well protected from below.

I'll check out the topquilt
    A 2.5R pad is not sufficient inthe winter. I would be looking at 5+. You can have a zero degree bag and still freeze from below. I personally would get a better pad such as a neoair xtherm and a top quilt. Much more flexibility as you can mix and match for different weather conditions.

Journal Entries
    Images

5'4" and shrinking with age.....my current bag is a petite for under 5'6". I like the size, though more width would be nice. Unfortunately, most of the bags don't come in petite or women's

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    A 2.5R pad is not sufficient inthe winter. I would be looking at 5+. You can have a zero degree bag and still freeze from below. I personally would get a better pad such as a neoair xtherm and a top quilt. Much more flexibility as you can mix and match for different weather conditions.

I think I hear a cash register going kaching.....sigh

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Another question is how many overnights do you plan to do in winter conditions?

If you plan to go out a lot then a real winter pad would be worth it, but if you only plan to go out a couple of times, then you could just bring along a second decent ground pad for extra insulation. I usually just double up my thermarest z-lite with another pad, which is much cheaper than in an inflatable (and the foam pads can't pop and deflate!)

5'4" and shrinking with age.....my current bag is a petite for under 5'6". I like the size, though more width would be nice. Unfortunately, most of the bags don't come in petite or women's
    I can see that being a bit tough, when i see a deal in a winter bag, it's usually a men's tall.

I do agree with the earlier comments, whatever bag you buy, get it from REI or a similar reputable retailer that will let you try it in the field and return it if it doesnt work for you.

Journal Entries
    Images

The first and perhaps only time I plan to deliberately go out in winter is the Cafe hike this January in Harriman. I like the idea of doubling my inflatable pad with my foam one....thanks. And FarmerChef showed me how he made his own lightweight quilt, so maybe I'll give that a shot. I can always try this stuff out in the yard before taking a chance on the mountain. If it doesn't work, then I guess plan B will be to buy a warmer bag....or something.

By the way, are you coming to Harriman?

I think I hear a cash register going kaching.....sigh
    Not necessarily significantly though! Top quilt DIY kits are available that can save ya some do re mi and instead of shelling out for a Neo Air you can simply add a CCF pad into the sleeping system mix you currently have providing not only cost effective benefits but others as well. A top quilt added to what you already own(higher temp rated sleeping bag) achieving an overall warmer sleep system for winter is a good option for some. It can certainly cut the costs while providing variety and versatility in kit set up options. And, since you are on the short side that may save you some do re mi when buying a quilt or sleeping bag. Many sleeping bag and quilt manufacturers charge a few bucks less for narrower or shorter versions.

As others are saying it may be possible to tweak your current fairer weather sleep system for winter rather than totally ditching what you already own and going with a totally separate winter sleeping system. You always have options! Sometimes that realization is reached by just starting to open up your creative mind. Brainstorm!

Journal Entries
    Images

But what if I do it all wrong?

I'm in the same boat as you Teacher, and am waiting for the colder temps of the fall to blow in so I can do some experiments in the back yard.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

By the way, are you coming to Harriman?
    I want to go, but i can't commit yet, I will let everyone know once we get closer to January.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++