WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Can I just ramble aimlessly and ask a few questions about the AT for a few minutes.

I am an englander, new to white blaze. I read the book "Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson in about 1998, it was his attempt at the AT. He is a yank, but always presumed he wasn't famous in America? he is somewhat anglicised and has spent much of his adult life in UK, he is very very funny, I’ve read most of his books. Well I think he did about 800 miles of it with his mate before finally packing it in, fair play to him. Anyway I like the countryside, I like America and I like walking (have done the 260mile pennine way once and the 190 mile coast to coast walk 4 times) so it has always been a dream of mine to do the whole proper AT in one big go. I genuinely believe I will do it rather than it being a pipe dream, or excessive bevvy talk down the pub - I've had a lot of travelling based dreams and I have acheived many of them.

This however is a bit more of a logistical task, not a 3 week christmas jolly to watch England retain the Ashes down under. 6 months off work and 5 grand english ($8000) I have pencilled in. This doesn't mean a sabbatical from work it means quitting my job, I'm 35 now, have pencilled in age 40 to sack it in. Upon return there is a fair bit of contract work in my game and so long as the economy is going half decent I'd be well happy returning to that instead of my permanent work presently, but I do want to wait a bit to allow me to make major inroads into my mortgage debt and put a bit away. So lets say March the First 2018 will be my start date, having quit the job on my 40th birthday, bonza mate.

So, travel. London to Atlanta, and then Boston to London, say £600. $950

So, gear. I've never spent much on fancy gear and don't intend to for this, in fact I am very tight with money generally. However US is somewhat harsher than UK extreme weather wise. So I may have to get a fancy sleeping bag that will keep me warm in the mountains in March and April, (£150) then any old thing will do. Some thermals? (£50). Is there any real need for any fancy clothing after that, One way or another I will have a pair of walking boots then anyway so wouldn’t even consider them an expense, and I quite like to do a lot of walking in trainers. If I need to buy a new pair so be it. £200 $320

So, the walking. I did the coast to coast 190 miles in 8 days (24miles per day) carrying everything and camping or hostelling, that was hard work. North England can be rugged, but how rugged is the AT. I don’t for one minute think I can maintain 24mpd, but 16mpd on a walking day, = 135 days that leaves me a massive 45 days spare for rest days and travelling to the start, getting home at the end, bit of sight seeing, blister recovery time, walking in new boots with short days etc. I really fancy having a few rest days at the trail towns, get stuck into those whopping great big 16oz steaks you yanks love and buckets of bud then vodka and cokes and a good old laugh with the locals, maybe get lucky.

So, the accommodation. Camping and lean tos are free. That’s the majority, say 120 days. Then 30 in bunk houses($20?) and 30 in cheapo motels($50), twenni won hundred bucks, blimey this is getting expensive.

So, the food. When you’re on the trail, thinking noodles, peanuts, beef jerky, chocolate, crisps(chips to you yankee doodleites), basically junk food, but you get a lot of calories for your gram with junk food, I shall just have to make up for it by having a side salad with my steak and orange juice with my vodka in the trail towns. Oh yeah, is it acceptable to drink spirits around the shelters, not gonna go hauling a 24 case of beers up there so thought a bottle of vodka, help me sleep at night, take the edge off etc. Not gonna go terrorising the neighbourhood, and if there are kids and that around I would of course be subtle. 120 days on the trail, food and drink @ $8/day = $1000. 60 days in towns and what not = $40/day = $2400. Total Food = $3400

Total costs = about 7000 bucks, 1000 contingency fund, job’s a goodun. How could it possibly go wrong, see you there March 1st 2018, it’s a date.

I would be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts on anything I've said, I'm not easily offended so give me both barrels if you think I may have said anything daft. Ta in advance.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bishbash View Post

So, gear. I've never spent much on fancy gear and don't intend to for this, in fact I am very tight with money generally
    So, the walking. 16mpd on a walking day

Total costs = about 7000 bucks, 1000 contingency fund, job’s a goodun. How could it possibly go wrong, see you there March 1st 2018, it’s a date.

I would be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts on anything I've said, I'm not easily offended so give me both barrels if you think I may have said anything daft. Ta in advance.
    First off: Welcome to Whiteblaze!
    You don't need to spend a ton on gear. If you limit yourself to sources like Backpacker magazine gear issues, you would think you need to spend $300 plus for each of the big 3 (tent, bag, pack). You can find great deals on the internet with just a little bit of research.
    I think you will find 16 miles a day very doable after the first couple weeks. You may want to plan on 10-12 for the first week or two to give your body time to adjust. But I think many of us Yanks get up to 20 miles a day regularly after the first few weeks when our bodies get stronger and used to the hiking.
    I think a little bottle to take a nip from at night is not too uncommon. Just don't get too liberal with it; and when in town you probably want to find a shower somewhere if you're hoping to 'get lucky'!

Ickybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Images

I have never thru hiked the AT. I am just a weekend section hiker.

You do not need expensive gear to hike the AT. Yes expensive gear is lighter and lasts longer, but it is not needed at all.

If you do spend money, spend it on a good sleeping bag.

Other than that hike with what you can afford.

Welcome to WB!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

You forgot beer. What is your Pub budget? Grinning.
    I'm not sure how you figure that the AT weather will be harsher than the UK? In my brief, and very limited experience, summer holiday picnic weather in the UK = winter weather on the southern end of the trail. Be prepared for single digit C temps and rain. Lots of rain. Days & days of rain. Just like the UK.
    As for ruggedness...lots of ups and downs. Then more ups and downs. Followed by downs and ups. Much of the AT follows ridges at 5,000 feet. That's the good part. However, there are lots Gaps (usually road crossings) at less than 3,000 feet. Than back to 5,000 feet. No worries. After a month of that you will be fit. You won't mind. Besides, the road crossings usually mean towns. And good food. And good beer. Not sure if you like it, but Newcastle is quite common here in the colonies. Many other brews from the Old Country as well. Fine Belgian ales can be found. As well as a plethora of Colonial craft brews. Bangers and mash might be hard to find. We have much tastier substitutes.
    Cheers! Good luck!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I am an englander, new to white blaze. I read the book "Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson in about 1998, it was his attempt at the AT. He is a yank, but always presumed he wasn't famous in America? he is somewhat anglicised and has spent much of his adult life in UK, he is very very funny, I’ve read most of his books. Well I think he did about 800 miles of it with his mate before finally packing it in, fair play to him. Anyway I like the countryside, I like America and I like walking (have done the 260mile pennine way once and the 190 mile coast to coast walk 4 times) so it has always been a dream of mine to do the whole proper AT in one big go. I genuinely believe I will do it rather than it being a pipe dream, or excessive bevvy talk down the pub - I've had a lot of travelling based dreams and I have acheived many of them.

This however is a bit more of a logistical task, not a 3 week christmas jolly to watch England retain the Ashes down under. 6 months off work and 5 grand english ($8000) I have pencilled in. This doesn't mean a sabbatical from work it means quitting my job, I'm 35 now, have pencilled in age 40 to sack it in. Upon return there is a fair bit of contract work in my game and so long as the economy is going half decent I'd be well happy returning to that instead of my permanent work presently, but I do want to wait a bit to allow me to make major inroads into my mortgage debt and put a bit away. So lets say March the First 2018 will be my start date, having quit the job on my 40th birthday, bonza mate.

So, travel. London to Atlanta, and then Boston to London, say £600. $950

So, gear. I've never spent much on fancy gear and don't intend to for this, in fact I am very tight with money generally. However US is somewhat harsher than UK extreme weather wise. So I may have to get a fancy sleeping bag that will keep me warm in the mountains in March and April, (£150) then any old thing will do. Some thermals? (£50). Is there any real need for any fancy clothing after that, One way or another I will have a pair of walking boots then anyway so wouldn’t even consider them an expense, and I quite like to do a lot of walking in trainers. If I need to buy a new pair so be it. £200 $320

So, the walking. I did the coast to coast 190 miles in 8 days (24miles per day) carrying everything and camping or hostelling, that was hard work. North England can be rugged, but how rugged is the AT. I don’t for one minute think I can maintain 24mpd, but 16mpd on a walking day, = 135 days that leaves me a massive 45 days spare for rest days and travelling to the start, getting home at the end, bit of sight seeing, blister recovery time, walking in new boots with short days etc. I really fancy having a few rest days at the trail towns, get stuck into those whopping great big 16oz steaks you yanks love and buckets of bud then vodka and cokes and a good old laugh with the locals, maybe get lucky.

So, the accommodation. Camping and lean tos are free. That’s the majority, say 120 days. Then 30 in bunk houses($20?) and 30 in cheapo motels($50), twenni won hundred bucks, blimey this is getting expensive.

So, the food. When you’re on the trail, thinking noodles, peanuts, beef jerky, chocolate, crisps(chips to you yankee doodleites), basically junk food, but you get a lot of calories for your gram with junk food, I shall just have to make up for it by having a side salad with my steak and orange juice with my vodka in the trail towns. Oh yeah, is it acceptable to drink spirits around the shelters, not gonna go hauling a 24 case of beers up there so thought a bottle of vodka, help me sleep at night, take the edge off etc. Not gonna go terrorising the neighbourhood, and if there are kids and that around I would of course be subtle. 120 days on the trail, food and drink @ $8/day = $1000. 60 days in towns and what not = $40/day = $2400. Total Food = $3400

Make it April15th. You'll be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You forgot beer. What is your Pub budget? Grinning.
    I'm not sure how you figure that the AT weather will be harsher than the UK? In my brief, and very limited experience, summer holiday picnic weather in the UK = winter weather on the southern end of the trail. Be prepared for single digit C temps and rain. Lots of rain. Days & days of rain. Just like the UK.
    As for ruggedness...lots of ups and downs. Then more ups and downs. Followed by downs and ups. Much of the AT follows ridges at 5,000 feet. That's the good part. However, there are lots Gaps (usually road crossings) at less than 3,000 feet. Than back to 5,000 feet. No worries. After a month of that you will be fit. You won't mind. Besides, the road crossings usually mean towns. And good food. And good beer. Not sure if you like it, but Newcastle is quite common here in the colonies. Many other brews from the Old Country as well. Fine Belgian ales can be found. As well as a plethora of Colonial craft brews. Bangers and mash might be hard to find. We have much tastier substitutes.
    Cheers! Good luck!

Wayne
    single figure celsius is a walk in the park in my opinion. $80 sleeping bag, no worries. I did the coast to coast in 2009 and got some unseasonal weather in late march, was -10c iirc (14f), that was cold and i wasn't prepared. I put every single item of clothing on, in a cheapo sleeping bag and i was still freezing and didn't get much sleep, got up at 6amish and packed up and started walking, was sweating buckets 5 minutes later even though it was still cold weather, the layers got peeled off quite rapidly, I wouldn't want that situation again so a decent sleeping bag is a must. I thought when I used to read journals and stuff that they were talking about single figure farenheit on a cold night in March in Georgia. that requires a proper sleeping bag in my opinion. Rain is a doddle, cold, proper cold, when you are sleeping is seriously problematic.

By the way the highest point in england is only 3200ft, oh and English weather is great, I love England. And US.

Welcome to whiteblaze Br Bish. You are wrong about Mr. Bryson. He is rather famous here especially with people who read. He is frequently mentioned here on whiteblaze where he is sometimes scorned for his failed thru-hike. Although his experience is much the same as 60 to 70 percent of all thru-hikers. They get a good dose of the AT, go home for a while then return to bounce around to various sweet spots then quit with about half the trail completed. He is a great writer, very funny and oh-by-the way, you can't have him. He is a corn fed Iowa boy no matter where his hat is. Now, your plan for 2018. Check out how long you can stay you your tourist visa. If it's 180 days you should let that end date drive your hiking schedule. After about 2 or 3 weeks of slogging you will gain your trail legs and your daily miles will go up just as you depart the Smokies. In the end a 16 mile day average is common. You can save a few quid with a cheap round trip ticket to New York then take a bus to Georgia. $8,000 only sounds like a large amount of money. The truth is that by 2018 it may be a bit light for a UK hiker on the AT. Those $50 dollar hotels are getting harder to find. Everything along the trail has gone up. My advice is to add about 2K for reserve. I kid you not.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Make it April15th. You'll be glad you did.
    Actually I forgot a whole paragraph I was supposed to post, so shall post now:

So, Potential problems. Temperature, the main reason I want to start early is I have always struggled with the heat, being English and all. Humidity even more so. I will never forget the few days I spent in Washington July 2003, it was stifling, now imagine walking with a backpack in that. If I could finish in May I would, but that would mean some proper winter cold walking and I'm not quite keen on that. So March 1st seems a steady compromise. Seriously the heat is my major worry. Other potential problems is insects. Mosquitoes are addicted to my blood, some people seem to get away with it but not me, they massacre me. I would have to go at it with reinforcements and get proper medieval on these sods or they could make it very unenjoyable. So, my question is, is this possible? Is there any product that will properly keep these blighters away from you? Heat and mossies are my main obstacles.

Cheers all, and thank you for the welcome. So is Bill Bryson famous in USA? He is head of some kind of countryside commission over here and is a brilliant author. He has a wicked sense of humour that is (perhaps unfairly) not always associated with the yanks. I lived and worked in US, allbeit briefly, in 2000 and 2003 and met numerous people who I would describe as "funny as ****"

So is Bill Bryson famous in USA? He is head of some kind of countryside commission over here and is a brilliant author. He has a wicked sense of humour that is (perhaps unfairly) not always associated with the yanks. I lived and worked in US, allbeit briefly, in 2000 and 2003 and met numerous people who I would describe as "funny as ****"
    He's not all that famous here in the states; although everyone knows him here on WB only because he wrote a book about the AT. Very controversial topic here, many threads on that book and him.

As for gear, an often cited reference is this article about the recommendations from the people at Mountain Crossings. They know a lot about AT Gear Lists. The bottom line is the cheapest and lightest gear is the gear you don't buy and carry.
    http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4

As for schedules (days on trail, days in town, when to start, etc), this is the best resource for a NOBO is here:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?44

The ATC also has this page about schedules, including a number of alternate itineraries:
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...where-to-start

The cost question comes up often. There is no easy answer as everyone's situation is different. There are a lot of dreamers who think they can hike the AT on a shoestring budget. They usually run out of funds and go home early. It is good to see you are being more realistic. Most reasonable recommendations for the cost of a thru hike come in at "a few thousand dollars", which is intentionally vague. But these estimates are just for the cost incurred during hiking and don''t include the cost of gear, transatlantic air fare, domestic transportation, visa, and health insurance, so your $7000 estimate is probably not too far off (depending on the beer budget).

Also, have you read any books by successful thru hikers. "A Walk in the Woods" is funny, well written and entertaining, but it is more of a dissertation on how NOT to hike the AT. Perhaps reading something more accurate would be in order.

Best of Luck!

Why controversial? he is a top bloke in my opinion. That book was good, but other books of his are even better, proper funny guy.

Journal Entries

Actually I forgot a whole paragraph I was supposed to post, so shall post now:

So, Potential problems. Temperature, the main reason I want to start early is I have always struggled with the heat, being English and all. Humidity even more so. I will never forget the few days I spent in Washington July 2003, it was stifling, now imagine walking with a backpack in that. If I could finish in May I would, but that would mean some proper winter cold walking and I'm not quite keen on that. So March 1st seems a steady compromise. Seriously the heat is my major worry. Other potential problems is insects. Mosquitoes are addicted to my blood, some people seem to get away with it but not me, they massacre me. I would have to go at it with reinforcements and get proper medieval on these sods or they could make it very unenjoyable. So, my question is, is this possible? Is there any product that will properly keep these blighters away from you? Heat and mossies are my main obstacles.
    You might consider doing a flip-flop to avoid the worst of the heat. As I understand it, you start at Springer and walk until it's too hot - maybe Harper's Ferry, then run up to Katahdin and hike southward back to HF or wherever you got off. There are several variations. I'll let people who have done it help with details.

to oddmanout.

regards bryson not knowing how to hike the AT, I couldn't possibly comment. My plan (for instance if I was starting tomorrow) would be little training, I know how to walk and have walking boots that don't give me blisters. Any acclimatisation regards the physical effort would be covered by perhaps going easy for the first week or so. Bryson is/was a rich man and had stuff to get back to and that, doesn't give him quite the same desire, this has been a dream of mine for 15 years. Why do 75pc not finish it?

MOney: I'm not a rich man but one way or another it shouldn't be a problem, I mean I have a credit card if worst comes to worst.
    Injury: A proper injury, well that is bad luck, could happen to anyone. A niggling injury like a proper knee or ankle problem could be an issue.
    Ability: I just don't see how 16 mpd with regular rest days is a problem, In the summer I was walking 10mpd whilst doing a full time job, obviously a bit more tougher up and down with backpack, but still, idleness aside should be easy, notwithstanding proper injury.
    Boredom: Does it just get a bit boring, I have done those long distance walks in England, 1 or 2 weeks, didn't get bored, loved it, but this is perhaps 26 weeks another kettle of fish.
    Heat and MOsquitoes: This is my main worry as mentioned above.

illabelle: I don't fancy flipflopping, want to do the whole thing in one go. though your plan does seem sound.

Why controversial? he is a top bloke in my opinion. That book was good, but other books of his are even better, proper funny guy.
    I don't have a problem with him, but I'm sure someone will explain to you how he "ruined the AT"; I'm too burnt out on the topic. The box has been opened

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I don't have a problem with him, but I'm sure someone will explain to you how he "ruined the AT"; I'm too burnt out on the topic. The box has been opened
    Please re-close the box.

I just searched for him on here and didn't find much.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bishbash:1810152
    I just searched for him on here and didn't find much.
    search for a walk in the woods

Please be aware that you will need to apply for and be granted a B1/B/2 visa with an allowance for a 6 month stay. A normal tourist visa stamp would not give you enough time to complete the trail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++