WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    they wine a lot
    You are on a roll....keep it coming! Making me laugh!

Journal Entries
    Images

american travelers.... .
    You ever notice they (we) always seem to lead with a story about money and foreign toilets after getting home.

Seldom about the heaven of a patisserie.

Or how tolerant and accepting of dogs people are in the streets and stores of Paris as compared to the woods and parks here in the states.

Most Americans don't get out much.

Apparently the japanese are obsessed with paris and the french, and many make it a lifes dream to visit. I was married to a japaneser for six years and she loved the place, we frequently took a dip over there. They have special courses for them to help them deal with paris disappointment syndrome. It is a great country but then most countries are. Some national stereotypes are there for a reason mind, and I havealways found the french slimy. Some cracking food, but some awful food, and manners, too. You seppos shouldnt feel any inferiorityto them,I mean what music has that nation ever produced? Or boxers for that matter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    You ever notice they (we) always seem to lead with a story about money and foreign toilets after getting home.

Or how tolerant and accepting of dogs people are in the streets and stores of Paris as compared to the woods and parks here in the states.

actually we're much more accepting of dogs in streets and shops than in the woods, too

The stones, muhammad ali, the beatles, bob dylan, the who, joe louis, joe calzaghe, elvis presley, elvis costello, floyd patterson, led zepp, Chuck berry, pink floyd. What have the frenchie frog eating masses ever given the world? Zsa zsa gabor? And she isnt even french.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bishbash View Post
    The stones, muhammad ali, the beatles, bob dylan, the who, joe louis, joe calzaghe, elvis presley, elvis costello, floyd patterson, led zepp, Chuck berry, pink floyd. What have the frenchie frog eating masses ever given the world? Zsa zsa gabor? And she isnt even french.
    i already mentioned french toast

Pate` .

Champagne.

Images

fries .

bidet .

Images

detente(well , the word, at least)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I agree with these statements about some of the French in general but more as it applies to Parisians: "French people are known for “their abrupt and curt nature. especially while facing foreign tourists" and “The French are very protective of their language." These statements have to be taken in context of a broader perspective THOUGH!!!

Here's one of the potential problems I notice with polls like that.
    Paris is BY FAR the most visited city in France by foreigners. If you look at where those pollsters opinions are mainly coming from it's taken from foreigners who typically ONLY visit Paris, which IMHO, does have more of a hoity toity nose in the air atmosphere in general compared to much of the rest of France's regions. That can result as there seeming to be more a French superiority complex or the French being rude than it actually is and perhaps particularly in relationships with foreigners that can also have a superiority complex(uhh Americans?) OR limited world view(uhh Americans?). Imagine being a foreigner to America not having any other experiences in the U.S. other than in Manhattan at the typical touristy middle to higher end hotels, restaurants, venues, etc and arriving at anything realistic or comprehensive of an opinion about the U.S. as a whole. Isn't happening. How about if all you knew of the U.S. based upon a feet on the ground experience was taken from limited experiences in just Miami, Los Angeles, Anchorage, Tulsa, or El Paso? Heck LA is like a country in itself with wildly ranging possible perceptions of it depending on a great many factors. How about if as an American you never travel or hike west of the Mississippi as an east coast only resident? Pretty different opinions are arrived at, possibly regarding a great many things, hey?

Again, as another commentator said on that link,
    "I think it also comes down to how one behaves as a guest in other nations!" I notice all too often Americans ignoring their own behavior and preconceived ideas in how perceptions of the French being rude or acting with their noses in the air or being cowards etc play a role in American perceptions. And, this occurs with other non- American foreigners to France as well.

As I said earlier, and seemed to be ignored, it is our personal behavior that we have the most control of! I think that's the higher road to take, being noticeable of and responsible for our own behavior! We can(as in us, as in you and me) redefine things to a more empowering paradigm.

When I backpack in other nations, and even different areas in my home country the U.S., I not only want to be aware of these things but rather than adopting a negative bitchy finger pointing perspective take on this attitude: challenges in language and culture actually form part of the fun of traveling and backpacking in different areas! As a result, it's my contention that I have more rewarding experiences when traveling. And possibly those who I meet also have more rewarding experiences!

As it DIRECTLY applies here to us we might remember these things as we are the hosts when foreigners come here when we're both hiking the AT or other American trails.
    Some might call it racist or intolerance

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Champagne.
    Champagne was a mistake that the English liked.

fries .
    Belgium ......

i already mentioned french toast
    Nope.....Not French. Neither are croissants.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Pate` .
    Only the word. Not the forcemeat.

The Singing Nun

Quote Originally Posted by A.T.Lt View Post
    You are on a roll....keep it coming! Making me laugh!
    The French wouldn't have any wine without Uncle Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

This is how one conversation went that I had with some Americans I know(uhh, OK they were family members) when they came back from BRIELY passing through Cannes and Paris(all of two days). All I heard about was the price of food, using toilets, how rude the French were, how hard it was to get a hotel room and into restaurants, even the urine smell on the streets of Paris, etc. Nothing about the Louvre, walking across the Seine on a bridge or strolling along its banks, Notre Dame de Paris, Eiffel Tower, good pts about the French Mediterranean/Riviera, French Alps, the beautiful coastline and countryside of northern France, positive aspects of the French language, the beauty of the French woman, the positive aspects of French cuisine, French romance, talk of the great French philosophers or French contributions to science and medicine, the ease of getting around the country by train, the French showing gratitude by gifting the Statue Of Liberty to America, etc. I asked them a few questions and made a few statements like: Do you understand they have this huge International Film Festival in Cannes and you went through that area during the time it's held?, Do you understand prices of goods and services become highly inflated at that time as well as the availability of those goods and services becoming highly competitive?, You do know it's not pronounced as Can-niss?, Did you assume the French should know how to speak English and hold conversations in English?, Did you make an attempt to learn any French before or while you went to France?, Didn't you know ahead of time that Paris is a very expensive city to live in as well travel to, uhh similar to New York City?, Did you consider your factoring in your behavior as part of your perceptions of the French?, Did you know that area where you noticed the urine smell was a notorious red light and Heroin addict area?, BTW, what were you doing in that area anyhow? etc

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++