WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The Climb to Katahdin SCREENINGS

Hey fellow hikers! I just wanted to let you all know that I'm currently on tour with the film, "The Climb to Katahdin". I have a screening tonight, Tuesday, October 22nd at the REI right outside of Philadelphia. I have another one in NYC at the REI in SoHo this upcoming Friday, October 25th. Then on to South Portland, ME, Pinkham Notch, Hanover, NH, Morgantown, WV, Lexington, KY, Nashville, Chattanooga, Asheville, Atlanta, and Athens.

I've already been through Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. However, I will be back to a few of those states in other cities. I have a list of all the screenings on the page http://www.theclimbtokatahdin.com under SCREENINGS.

This is largely a donation tour so the more people who come out, the easier it is for me to get to my next screening. If you or someone you know in any of the areas you see on the tour page are interested in hiking the Trail or would like to live vicariously through the film, please check it out. I have a Q&A following every screening to allow people to get an insight at what it's like to do some long distance backpacking(with a girlfriend and a dog).

I appreciate your support and look forward to showing the film! You can also keep up with updates at http://www.facebook.com/theclimbtokatahdin.Philadelphia Flyer.jpg

Any plans on Northern Va or the DC area?

Just Philadelphia where I am now. I attempted a couple places in that area but they all fell through. Sorry!

Good luck with the tour. I thoroughly enjoyed the film!

Journal Entries

Since this is clearly a made for profit attempt at a "movie", and you charge admission to see it, It would seem this falls under a commercial post and is prohibited by Whiteblaze terms of service.

There is nothing "donation" about it.

Thanks for posting! I might be able to make it down to South Portland on the 28th.

Noticed this one is not listed - there is a screening at the FilmColumbia festival in Chatham (NY) this Sunday (10/27) at 3:30 for those in the eastern NY/Western MA area - no idea if tickets are still available or not, but you can check if interested (.org)

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Since this is clearly a made for profit attempt at a "movie", and you charge admission to see it, It would seem this falls under a commercial post and is prohibited by Whiteblaze terms of service.

There is nothing "donation" about it.

Can you elaborate? This wasn't my experience.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Can you elaborate? This wasn't my experience.
    Which part, that it was made for profit, or that they charge for it?

Its a trail journal, of a partial thru hike, by a a couple that skipped much of the trail. It is marketed to people that know nothing about the AT.

Some venues may not charge, ie REI apparently says its free, but since it draws people to their store they may be paying for it
    Baton rouge = $5 2showings, about 700 tickets between the two showings.
    Upcoming FilmColumbia festival - $10 per ticket
    They are hawking merchandise with it as well.

You dont think they are travelling around the country showing it for nothing do you?

I dont care what they do, but its clearly a commercial endeavor and is prohibited here. They stated the intention before beginning the hike. If someone NOT ASSOCIATED with the film at all, wants to mention it, thats OK. So far there have been a couple of posts by people associated with it. Being a friend of the filmmaker and in the film counts as association.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-25-2013 at 19:23.

Its a trail journal, of a partial thru hike, by a a couple that skipped much of the trail. It is marketed to people that know nothing about the AT.
    So? I saw it and enjoyed it and I've seen pretty much all of the AT documentaries out there. It ranks up there with "Trek" and "Walking with Freedom" for me. Bryson never finished the trail and his book was mass marketed and no one's prohibiting us from discussing it here.

Some venues may not charge, ie REI apparently says its free, but since it draws people to their store they may be paying for it
    Baton rouge = $5 2showings, about 700 tickets between the two showings.
    So, really, you don't actually know -- for a fact -- whether they're getting paid by the venues or not. The $5 is a suggested donation -- no one is being turned away if they can't or won't pay. Even if they were getting paid, it doesn't actually matter in this context.

I dont care what they do, but its clearly a commercial endeavor and is prohibited here. They stated the intention before beginning the hike. If someone NOT ASSOCIATED with the film at all, wants to mention it, thats OK. So far there have been a couple of posts by people associated with it. Being a friend of the filmmaker and in the film counts as association.
    There's a difference between posting about events of interest to the WB community vs. commercial posts/SPAM. The OP did not ask us to buy anything in his/her post nor was anything advertised "for sale," so I disagree that it qualifies as a "commercial" post.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    The $5 is a suggested donation -- no one is being turned away if they can't or won't pay.
    I promise you are dead Fing wrong. Keep your speculative opinion to yourself.
    SOME venues may have a "requested" donation.

SOME places sold tickets and lots of them, at 5 each, and some have planned to sell them for 10.
    Look it up, its all out there.
    I paid for a TICKET by the way, I did not pay a "donation"

If it is a donation I want my money back because honestly, it left a LOT to be desired, but thats neither here nor there.

When a proprietor uses this forum to advertise their goods (for the second time no less), its would appear to violate the Terms of Service. If it wasnt that way, the forums would be filled up with garbage commercial posts. Thats why the rules exist. Doesnt matter what it is.

Of course, some vendors have no respect for those rules.

You could say every item related to backpacking was of interest to the Whiteblaze community. Most have seen the trail firsthand, most have seen dozens of videos and trailjournals. This one isnt of interest to that many. the only reason the OP posts it here is they are trying to make money from it, they think it is free advertising.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-25-2013 at 20:46.

Wow, you are really bitter. My post isn't speculative. It's based on my experience. Why don't you PM me your paypal account and I will send you $10? I have nothing to do with the film and I don't know the filmmakers, but I feel sad for you that you're so angry about it.

And you know what's even more awesome? The more you keep bumping up this thread, the more attention it's going to get.

Debbie downer.

Sent from somewhere.

++ New Posts ++