WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Where in VA is there a need for a hostel?

I've had a dream for years to own and run a hiker hostel. Why on earth I would want to open up my home to a bunch of stinky, undernourished, dirty unknown people is beyond me but I love the hiking community and all it's stories, quirks, and personalities. So my question is, where on the trail do you think there is a need for hostels? More specifically in Virginia. I know this is one of the largest states to travel through so I would think there would be a need but I'd love to hear from the through hikers. What are your thoughts on hostels and where needed?

Damascus needs a full service hostel with a dog kennel

skymom.... I want to join you in your dream!! I want to see what the thru-hikers say!! I would vote for either south of Daleville or north of Daleville near Glasgow & Buena Vista VA. Deer Hunter said something about a home for sale right by the trail near where he lives in Buena Vista, VA. Resupple is really tough through these areas.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Damascus needs a full service hostel with a dog kennel
    I love Damascus! Dogs would definately have to be part of it. We are dog people ourselves and can't imagine being on the trail without them.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I found a lovely place to stay in Damascus that allowed our dog but it only had capacity for maybe 4 people and wasn't a hostel at all. Having a full service, dog-friendly hostel in Damascus would be great!

What about Waynesboro? The only hostel there is open only between May 21 and June 24 according to my 2012 guide (maybe that's changed).

And, not that the HoJo in Daleville isn't serviceable but a hostel somewhere near there would be great as well.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by skymom View Post
    I love Damascus! Dogs would definately have to be part of it. We are dog people ourselves and can't imagine being on the trail without them.
    Awesome! LW showed me a log cabin type home for sale in Damascus that was right by the trail, coming right into Damascus... I LOVED IT!!

I wonder if it is still for sale?? I loved it!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post
    skymom.... I want to join you in your dream!! I want to see what the thru-hikers say!! I would vote for either south of Daleville or north of Daleville near Glasgow & Buena Vista VA. Deer Hunter said something about a home for sale right by the trail near where he lives in Buena Vista, VA. Resupple is really tough through these areas.

Come on Shmaybix! I love the Roanoke area so Daleville wouldn't be far from there. Hubby said it wouldn't take much to convince him to move. (He's the mountain biker, I'm the hiker) Would just have to convince the 10 yr old!

quite a few places for sale in Damascus

Images

At the north end of Shenandoah NP I have heard rumors Mike Evans is thinking of selling Terrapin Station Hostel.

Buena Vista - Positive comments this year of Blue Dog Art Cafe/Hostel serving the needs of hikers in town.

South of Daleville - Joe Mitchell is already doing a good job at Four Pines Hostel.

Glasgow - The town has tried very well to make Glasgow hiker friendly, but a full service hostel would probably work.
    Last edited by Jeff; 10-22-2013 at 17:34.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by skymom View Post
    Come on Shmaybix! I love the Roanoke area so Daleville wouldn't be far from there. Hubby said it wouldn't take much to convince him to move. (He's the mountain biker, I'm the hiker) Would just have to convince the 10 yr old!
    I right with ya skymom! My address is Roanoke but I live 5 miles from where the trail crosses 220 in Daleville... it's great! If your hubby is willing and he's into mountain biking and you are into hiking... this is the place to live. We've got mountain junkies all over the place with plenty of hiking/biking clubs to join. It's fun!!

Now as for the lil guy.. the move might be a lil harder on him. I remember moving when I was a kid... not easy. I believe he would love it here once he made new friends etc...

LW... is that place that you showed me still for sale?? If we had the $$$ that place had my name on it!

Images

I right with ya skymom! My address is Roanoke but I live 5 miles from where the trail crosses 220 in Daleville... it's great! If your hubby is willing and he's into mountain biking and you are into hiking... this is the place to live. We've got mountain junkies all over the place with plenty of hiking/biking clubs to join. It's fun!!

Now as for the lil guy.. the move might be a lil harder on him. I remember moving when I was a kid... not easy. I believe he would love it here once he made new friends etc...

LW... is that place that you showed me still for sale?? If we had the $$$ that place had my name on it!
    Yep, I moved twice when I was a kid. The first one was easier because I was younger but the 2nd was a tough age. If I could get her moved early, it wouldn't be as bad. Plus she loves the outdoors. She's been on a trail since she could walk. She actually hikes barefoot most of the time! LOL

So, maybe a hiker hostel with a place for the dogs, a shop to work on bikes, and shuttles for both......a dream come true!!

Section Hiker

When I was hiking at Buena Vista in February there was a house with some land for sale right as you turn up the gravel road to the trail head. I think that would be a great spot, very near major freeways (I-64 and I-81).

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Glasgow VA needs a hostel badly, and other hiker services, and also around the linden area would be a great place for a hostel.

I would love to be able to buy the house and open a hostel there. Only a hundred yards or so from the trailhead on Rt. 60. The land (239 acres) has been sold but I believe the man held onto the house and maybe 5 acres.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    When I was hiking at Buena Vista in February there was a house with some land for sale right as you turn up the gravel road to the trail head. I think that would be a great spot, very near major freeways (I-64 and I-81).
    BV and Glasgow are great candidates. I would be available as part time help/ shuttle driver / hostel sitter/ chief cook and bottle washer/ storehouse of local knowledge / etc. Would actually love to be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    BV and Glasgow are great candidates. I would be available as part time help/ shuttle driver / hostel sitter/ chief cook and bottle washer/ storehouse of local knowledge / etc. Would actually love to be involved.

Yes, I would be glad to help out anyway I could.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Images

Hmmmm, now my wheels are really turning. Looks like I need to take a roadtrip this weekend and do some exploring/scouting around.

Images

WAYNESBORO!!!!! It has like several HALF hostels, needs a full one.
    bunk
    showers
    shuttles
    laundry

Just be sure you check into zoning, permits needed, etc before you buy so you don't get in the same situation like the people who wanted to open a hostel and the neighbors prevailed on the county not to approve either the zoning or the permits for it.
    Trillium

I would say Damascus for sure. Many zero's are taken there and could use an alternative to the church hostel. A fellow thru hiker in 2012 had to stealth camp just outside of town due to his canine friend not being welcomed and personally, I did not have a good experience at that hostel. Not saying that I don't appreciate what they do for hikers because I do. Also, I didn't find hiker services that great there. Now, if I wanted to ride a bicycle.....

Waynesboro would be a great spot for a full service hostel. Offer an evening shuttle to the movies and you are set

And the Daleville area would be nice too. While I enjoyed my two nights at the Hojo, I would have preferred to be at a hostel instead of living in fear of the waffle maker nazi.

I liked the Glasgow shelter in town, especially the shower, but that road in to town is terrifying to walk beside. A hostel with shuttle and resupply would be awesome.

I also thought that the Bland area would be a good place for one. There may already be one in that area but I can't remember there being an option.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++