WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Something halfway between Daleville and Waynesboro (the Glasgow/Buena Vista area) would be a very useful place for a well run hostel when it comes to the logistics of resupply. That stretch is 134 miles long and no services are very handy to the trail as it stands now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Very true indeed. Keep in mind during the 3 month thruhiker season you work 7 days a week/18 hour days.
    Boo Hoo. All hotels work 24/7 365 days a year. Many restaurants too.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Something halfway between Daleville and Waynesboro (the Glasgow/Buena Vista area) would be a very useful place for a well run hostel when it comes to the logistics of resupply. That stretch is 134 miles long and no services are very handy to the trail as it stands now.
    There are good, established trail people here, both on and off WB who would be glad to see it happen, and be glad to get involved and make it happen as well. If it doesn't happen in the next few years, I'd seriously consider doing it myself.

At the north end of Shenandoah NP I have heard rumors Mike Evans is thinking of selling Terrapin Station Hostel.

Buena Vista - Positive comments this year of Blue Dog Art Cafe/Hostel serving the needs of hikers in town.

South of Daleville - Joe Mitchell is already doing a good job at Four Pines Hostel.

Glasgow - The town has tried very well to make Glasgow hiker friendly, but a full service hostel would probably work.
    Never noticed this on Whiteblaze before until today:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/cont...rt-cafe-hostel

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Images

If you want to start with just dirt, build up everything there is a lot of private property around the Pedlar lake area +- 5-10 miles you do cross several good gravel roads. My buddy has a cabin .5 mile from the trail and you can get much closer! Another place is past Maupin Field shelter it is like 15 miles to the next shelter You go by the Wintergreen ski area which is right off the trail and there are paved roads and land available up high and low. Ya remember the Hard Time Hollow? that was a great stop.

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    If you want to start with just dirt, build up everything there is a lot of private property around the Pedlar lake area +- 5-10 miles you do cross several good gravel roads. My buddy has a cabin .5 mile from the trail and you can get much closer! Another place is past Maupin Field shelter it is like 15 miles to the next shelter You go by the Wintergreen ski area which is right off the trail and there are paved roads and land available up high and low. Ya remember the Hard Time Hollow? that was a great stop.
    Wintergreen is a great area. I looked at properties on the mountain several years ago. I do recall that there was a homeowner's association, however, so there could be restrictions on use. I also looked at lots of nice property outside of any HOA somewhat lower on the mountain on route 664 as well as in Nellysford. However, I'm not sure if hikers would be able to hitch off the AT down 664 or not to get to a hostel. Nellysford is a nice little town.

Images

Breaking the trend for "beautiful" spots on the trail I would recommend near Atkins.
    The hotel there is not hard to compete with and you would be closer to other sources of customer (cars, bikes etc).
    It would be a good area to supplement the hostel income with shuttle runs.
    You wouldn't have to be too close to the interstate, just handy somewhere nearby.

Journal Entries

Another vote for Damascus, when I hiked in everything was full, luckily I got a cabin in back of someone's home with 3 others that is not in the book (nor to they want to be). But for what is suppose to be the most hiker friendly trail town they are lacking accommodations for us. The church hostel there 'The Place', which is the fall back for accommodations had a bad spiritual vibe to me as I walked in and I would have liked to see a alternative.

Beuna Vista as mentioned has Blue Dog Art which seemed to be doing the hikers well.

Glascow <sp> I did not go to but it seemed to split traffic with Buena Vista. Not that this is bad, just a observation. My plan was to go into Glascow, but I had more supplies then I expected so was able to travel on to BV.

Good Luck

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    Breaking the trend for "beautiful" spots on the trail I would recommend near Atkins.
    The hotel there is not hard to compete with and you would be closer to other sources of customer (cars, bikes etc).
    It would be a good area to supplement the hostel income with shuttle runs.
    You wouldn't have to be too close to the interstate, just handy somewhere nearby.
    A consideration with this is it's hard to beat the price of a hotel room in Atkins, and it's also hard to beat getting a private room over a bunk, and a trailside place to stay. Yes I do know the condition of the motel, but still a consideration for that location.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    A consideration with this is it's hard to beat the price of a hotel room in Atkins, and it's also hard to beat getting a private room over a bunk, and a trailside place to stay. Yes I do know the condition of the motel, but still a consideration for that location.
    What I'd like to know about running a hostel in Atkins is why did the one that was open for a few years recently close. Was it due to personal family reasons or because it did not break even or some other reason?
    Trillium

Why are people suggesting Waynesboro? It has the Grace Lutheran..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    What I'd like to know about running a hostel in Atkins is why did the one that was open for a few years recently close. Was it due to personal family reasons or because it did not break even or some other reason?
    Happy Hiker Hollow owned by Rambunny closed (temporarily ??) due to some health related issues.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I'm coming to this thread late as I was closing on a house to run as a hostel about the time this thread was active. We (Three Springs Hostel) are located between the Long Mountain Wayside crossing (Rt. 60 in VA) and Hog Camp Gap. We offer free shuttles from either. I did a long section hike last year. Like others, found the need to be great between Waynesboro and Daleville. Decided to Just Do It! Details are posted elsewhere on White Blaze or email [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by AT-OMA View Post
    I'm coming to this thread late as I was closing on a house to run as a hostel about the time this thread was active. We (Three Springs Hostel) are located between the Long Mountain Wayside crossing (Rt. 60 in VA) and Hog Camp Gap. We offer free shuttles from either. I did a long section hike last year. Like others, found the need to be great between Waynesboro and Daleville. Decided to Just Do It! Details are posted elsewhere on White Blaze or email [email protected].
    That's great! I'll be sure to pass this info along to everyone I meet. I wish you the BEST!

Here it is. Saw this the other day. I would like to ride up and check it out one day. Good luck with the hostel, neighbor.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

I was desperate for a hostel between Damascus and Pearisburg. Way back when. The place in Bastian was a huge letdown. Nasty. Tillie's place was decent (still no shower) but then that was almost to Pearisburg. Don't know what's new down in those parts.

Images

You should do well especially now that Dutch Haus in Montebello is closed this year.

Since you are not in AWOL's AT Guide or The Companion, you may want to make a poster advertising your services. The closest hostel south of you is Four Pines in Catawba. The owner Joe Mitchell is a great friend to hikers and I imagine he would hang your poster at his place.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

You should do well especially now that Dutch Haus in Montebello is closed this year.

Since you are not in AWOL's AT Guide or The Companion, you may want to make a poster advertising your services. The closest hostel south of you is Four Pines in Catawba. The owner Joe Mitchell is a great friend to hikers and I imagine he would hang your poster at his place.
    +1 We are having a mini Trail Days in Troutville VA. Flyers might be nice to hand out for this event.

https://www.facebook.com/troutvillet...age_fan_invite

Worm Hole Hostel-
    There will soon be a hostel for thru-hikers and others at Va 615, Laurel Creek. Facility is 75% complete. It is 3/4 mi from trail & will offer cot, shower, shuttle to Bland and hopefully laundry. Working on Internet access & reliable phone signal. Owner (Nightcrawler) hopes to offer limited services for 2017 class thru-hikers. Only affordable donations will be required. More info and formal announcement expected in coming months. Anyone that would like to be part of the project may contact Bruce Weeks - [email protected]

Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++