WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Resoling vasque boots?

I have worn out my boots and the new fancy trail runner shoes are destroying my feet. They dont make sundowners anymore so I want to resole the ones that have always treated me well and get another 1200 miles out of them. Any opinions or experiences on this?

I still have lots of tread is that the only thing that determines if resoling needs to be done?
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Typically a resole is just that- new tread. Some actual cobblers can replace some of the cush or other layers for you (basically reusing the upper and crafting an entirely new bottom- but then you run the risk of the boots fitting differently- as well as spending more than it would cost to replace them if you can find a qualified person.

If your tread is still good- two options-
    Start shopping for boots now- there are companies that make similar boots. I am a tennis shoe guy- so it's been a bit- but I know offhand that Asolo would be a good place to start.

Rebuild your cush- even if the rubber hasn't worn out, the cush (soft parts) of the shoe likely have. The reason boots last longer is that they don't have much cush- they have replaceable insoles and you wear thick socks to make up for it. Thankfully you boot stompers don't have to walk many miles in a day. But if your boots are leaving you with that not so fresh feeling- time for new insoles. Even though boots last double, triple, or more than tennis shoes- insoles last 200-400 miles and should be replaced accordingly.

Journal Entries
    Images

Try these guys: cobcord.com. The Cobbler & Cordwainer, New Rochelle, NY. They resoled my boots 1/2 way thru my hike. turned them around in four days.
    Grampie-N->2001

davepagecobbler.com

Contact him with your questions. He resoled my Vasque boots for around 70 bucks. I had pretty much worn all the tread off. I use custom orthotics so I don't know about the cushion aspect.

It has been several years ago, but I had a pair of Vasque Sundowners that the soles were worn out. I purchased a new pair from my local outdoor store and asked them to send the old pair back to Vasque for reconditioning. Now for an additional cost of $75.00 I have two pairs of Vasque as winter boots or as backups. I have now switch to Merrill Ventilators for most of my hiking.

Dave Page has been around a long time. Many satisfied customers swear by him.
    What type of construction is used to join the uppers & outer soles? Injection molded? Littleway inside stitched? Norwegian welt? That makes a difference.
    From the Dave Page web page. They do it all.

We specialize in resoling and restoring all types of alpine footwear, from modern molded/cemented boots to those classics with which you've shared many adventures. We stock soles, midsoles and hardware for VASQUE, MERRELL, ASOLO, RAICHLE, FABIANO, SCARPA, ONE SPORT, MONTRAIL, LaSPORTIVA, GARMONT, ALICO, SALOMON, TECNICA and most other boots sold (or ever sold) in North America.
    Resoling prices vary depending on the boot construction method, and the type of sole. The range is from $50.00 for some lightweight trail boots, to $75.00 for some mountaineering boots.
    A photo/description of your current favorites would be helpful also.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Interesting. I would not have thought it possible to resole a modern boot with injection molded soles. I've had my Limmers resoled a couple of times, but those are old school leather boots.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I've had Vasque boots resoled because they used to come in a narrow width which is hard to find in my size. I've used Rocky Mt. Resole on my Sundowners...the old Sundowners which were made in the USA. The 2 companies mentioned above are quite good also.

Images

Ebay has quite a few Sundowners available, if you are ok with slightly used shoes... I have bought my only 2 pair of Salomon xa pro's off ebay. Both were bought in the wrong size and were in like new condition.

2010 complete

I resoled my boots because they were already broken in and served me well

http://resole.com/Vasque-Repair.aspx

Resole America
    6876 Watson Court
    Warrenton, VA 20187

I have used them 3 times, once for my Sundowners and twice for my son's. Excellent work

Quote Originally Posted by bwb49 View Post
    http://resole.com/Vasque-Repair.aspx

Resole America
    6876 Watson Court
    Warrenton, VA 20187

I have used them 3 times, once for my Sundowners and twice for my son's. Excellent work
    Thanks. Will put that info to good use.

Resole America is the company REI uses for all their shoe repairs. They do nice work.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    davepagecobbler.com

Contact him with your questions. He resoled my Vasque boots for around 70 bucks. I had pretty much worn all the tread off. I use custom orthotics so I don't know about the cushion aspect.
    Another recommendation for Dave Page. He did great work on my Asolo boots this year. I ended up switching to trail runners this summer however... But nice having the boots ready for winter.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Try these guys: cobcord.com. The Cobbler & Cordwainer, New Rochelle, NY. They resoled my boots 1/2 way thru my hike. turned them around in four days.
    The did a great job for a couple times-- Merril's with a Norwegian welt. Still going strong but only in the winter these days.

++ New Posts ++