WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: bathing

Images

Well, i found a "lead" to the article, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere; http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arti...96&postcount=1

perhaps one of the IT / moderator folks can help you out.

Let me go

Is this the link to Sgt Rock's article you're looking for?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ghlight=118496

part of me believes 1st Sgt Rock is a mythical figure. i've seen his posts for years in various forums, but always more as articles, not interactive posts. and far to rational for any 1st Sgt i ever knew. and the name!! jeez, people would kill for a name like that in the service

If you got to bath on the trail use your Water Bladder, Fill the water bladder, use a piece of your food bag rope, hang the bladder up-side down use the mouth piece like a shower head, the bladder should hold enough water for one good bird bath, this way you can take the bath far away from any water sources, and this is also good to rinse your clothes.

Journal Entries
    Images

My guess is that even Snifur has enjoyed the bliss of soaking his stinky swollen feet in the cool of a mountain stream once or twice.

Like with most things details matter-- as do the assumptions each of us makes when responding to these kinds of questions.

That said, there is nothing inherently wrong with washing up (rinsing off would be a better word) in a mountain stream. Just be mindfull with your soap(don't contaminate the water with even a little bit), and the leeches.

Thanks for your input . I'll dip and dunk some distance away from the stream.
    Bryce

Journal Entries

Most people pee in a pool.
    Same applies to lakes.

Of course, pee is sterile, thats not where contamination comes from.

Urine is only sterile within the bladder ( and then only if you don't have a bladder or urinary tract infection) . Urine is sterile until it reaches the urethra, where epithelial cells lining the urethra are colonized by facultatively anaerobic Gram negative rods and cocci.
    Bear Grylls is no rocket scientist nor is he a urologist!

Journal Entries
    Images

Lye, or sodium hydroxide, does occur naturally after a large forest fire.

Wood ash is extremely alkaline, and the usual "natural" source for lye-water used in soap making. American pioneers used water dripped through a trough of wood ash, which was then sufficiently alkaline to make soap when mixed with fat.

Please remember lye and lye-water can blind. The phrase "wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole" came from soap-making days, when the lye-containing pot was stirred with a very long "10-foot" pole.

Before your time they got it from the ashes of hard wood . They would dissolve the ashes in water and strain them to remove the pieces . To Concentrate it they would boil it . They measured the strength with a feather dipped into the liquid wait a minute and pull the feather through the fingers . If it were strong all the feather parts would pull foo the shaft. Soap has been made with some form of lye for thousands of years and can be traced back as far as 2800 BC. Lye soap (there REALLY is no other kind)is not harmful to your skin IF the soap is properly made. If too much lye is used for the fat content, it may retain some of they lye's caustic properties. Some soapmakers (homemade soap, not commercial) will "super fat" their mixture to avoid any chance that the lye's caustic properties were not neutralized. If you worry about the "chemical" use of lye in your soap, don't be. Without lye, there is no soap. Water, Lye and Fat are the ingredients in any soap.

Recommended Soaps

CleanWell
    LUSH
    Nature’s Gate
    Vermont Country
    Naked Soap Works
    MiEssence
    Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer
    Ivory
    Paul‚ Organic
    Dr. Bronner‚ Magic Soaps
    Tom‚ of Maine
    The Natural Dentist
    Listerine Essential Care
    Peelu
    Weleda
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    Urine is only sterile within the bladder ( and then only if you don't have a bladder or urinary tract infection) . Urine is sterile until it reaches the urethra, where epithelial cells lining the urethra are colonized by facultatively anaerobic Gram negative rods and cocci.
    Bear Grylls is no rocket scientist nor is he a urologist!
    Might this be why oral sex is illegal in Mississippi?

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    part of me believes 1st Sgt Rock is a mythical figure. i've seen his posts for years in various forums, but always more as articles, not interactive posts. and far to rational for any 1st Sgt i ever knew. and the name!! jeez, people would kill for a name like that in the service
    I don't believe in Sgt. Rock. He's a made-up figure like Santa.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Please bathe away from water sources.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Agreed. You should bathe in a steam that is not a source of water. Or at least a very unlikely one-- which is to say most every one, if you use common sense.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    As much as you would like that kind of thinking... Please allow me to share something with you... almost all the small streams locally here in Penn are polluted with a wide variety of metals, Asbestos, and other bacteria, pathogens, and other nasties... take a peek at the Brandywine and fish are pretty much taboo - including Valley Forge park.. For years I played in the Brandywine... Kayak,canoe,swim, and bathed... Oh later I found out its Wilmington's drinking water... and yet - Luken's steel has been dumping and has pits in Coatesville for all sorts of chemicals... in short - its too late... nothing can undo the damage. One only has to look at a fishing maps and its all there. I am not arguing - I am sharing... You cannot tell if there is a dead deer upstream or a moose. So folks according to American Indian beliefs you all stink like chicken. Go bathe down stream... please use ivory as it floats. Its actually safer than your chlorinated pools filled with fecal matter. Chlorinated Pools are petri dishes...

Here is another example... DDT has a shelf life up to 40 years what was sprayed in 1970 is still found in small levels at the CDC in food grown in farms and is not reported,,,, DDT still is considered a link to diabetes and is still in our food supply. I would suspect DDT is in organic food as well.

Hey I am a looker upper I admit it... I love to fish... found all this out the hard way.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Bathing is optional. Being fashionable is not.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wasn't as relevant as I thought - removed
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 10-24-2013 at 10:36.

Woo

Images

Isn't that why we use filtration or water purifier tabs? I run under the assumption that any water I drink, if not directly taken from the top could be fouled. To me its kind of like a biker telling car drivers to look twice. Nice if they do it, but if was a biker, I wouldn't count on it. I figure if I've survived almost 50 years of worse nastiness in my daily life, I will make it thru a stream that someone took a dip in.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

assume all water is contaminated.
    on the other hand, contaminated water is not necessarily a horrible thing. It happens. It all depends on what's in it and how it affects you. Regular germs are OK and actually developing immunity to them is good for you.
    Let me go

Images

fish crap n it all the time. frogs,too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++