Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shuttles for Ocala National Forest

Hey Florida Trail Hikers,

Looking for shuttles in the Ocala National Forest area.

Thanks

Images

ONF closed-Government Shutdown.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

hey Seminoles, good to see you here again neighbor! Like you saw in the TJ from my Feb Ocala hike, I had no luck finding any shuttle drivers down there, but was very, very lucky to get in contact with Janie from the FTA chapter up toward the northern end of Ocala, she gave me a shuttle ride. My only suggestion would be to look over the FTA Chapter Meetup websites for some chapters down near Ocala, and maybe some kind FTA members or officers could help you out on a ride. There was one shuttle service I talked to down there that would do a ride, but it was too expensive for my budget. Good luck, when are you planning to do your hike?

Images

You might try Shelly @ Ocklawaha Canoe Outpost (352) 236-4606

Images

PM me if you are close to Rice Creek/Keystone Heights over to Lake Butler.

Images

Default Onf

How do bureaucrats close a forest?

Images

I know they have closed the campgrounds for sure, even the private ones. Go figure. Maybe the info I heard was wrong. Everybody's over the top on this closure thing.

All the facilities that charge a fee or require getting a permit in the Ocala National Forest are closed until further notice due to the budget gridlock in Washington, D.C.
    "Every day campground on the Ocala National Forest, whether run by the Forest Service or concessionaires, is closed right now," said Mike Herrin, Ocala National Forest district ranger. "The forest is open for hiking, fishing and hunting, if this stretches into hunting season. The forest is still open for those things because it would be impossible to close."
    So, activities such as dispersed camping, where one simply pitches a tent, are permitted. But any campgrounds that have facilities such as bathrooms or concessions and the like are closed for business.
    http://www.ocala.com/article/2013100...9731?p=1&tc=pg
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Hopefully, this fiasco will be over soon, we are not going until mid Dec.
    I don't want to stay in a government run campground anyway, I suppose you could go now
    and stealth camp. The rangers must be at home watching their leader on TV, who knows!

hey the 99 store is still open! hike all day and party with the bikers at the 99 store at nite! I camp out back behind the pool hall/bar

Quote Originally Posted by seminoles View Post
    Hopefully, this fiasco will be over soon, we are not going until mid Dec.
    I don't want to stay in a government run campground anyway, I suppose you could go now
    and stealth camp. The rangers must be at home watching their leader on TV, who knows!
    I walked down the entrance road to Juniper Springs Camp Ground yesterday and spotted a Ranger there. I had a pack on and jumped onto the FT as soon as I reached it. He didn't pursue me. I suspect the campgrounds are going to have someone there to keep the public out.

When did they rename the 88 Store to 99???? Just kidding, I know what you meant. First, the Florida Trail is not shut down! It is not a Federal trail.None of the private campgrounds have been shutdown, only the U.S. owned campgrounds. The unattended parking areas are still open and available throughout the Ocala National Forest, and backpacking is still allowed. Silver Glen Springs sporadically opens right now due to the concessionaires that keep opening it until the Forestry Division finds out and shuts them down again, so far they've been back and forth about 4 times. Waiting for the USDA to break out the rifles Although boat access to the springs is still open.
    Last edited by lilricky; 10-08-2013 at 21:57.

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    None of the private campgrounds have been shutdown, only the U.S. owned campgrounds..
    The Juniper Springs Campground and Canoe run says on their Facebook that they are closed.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    The Juniper Springs Campground and Canoe run says on their Facebook that they are closed.
    What about Alexander?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Well I can attest to Juniper being closed because I was there yesterday. I haven't been to Alexander but I'm sure it's closed also.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    What about Alexander?
    American Land and Leisure operates Salt Springs, Alexander Springs, Clearwater Springs, Silver Glen Springs and Wildcat Lake and Dorr Lake cabins.

"We make our money from the public coming in," said Steve Werner, vice president of American Land and Leisure out of Orem, Utah. "We are not quite sure why we are being asked to leave. They want us out of there because it is federal land."
    Werner said they are allowed to keep security at the facilities, but he has had to lay off 16 employees.
    Recreation Resource Management operates Juniper Springs Campground and Canoe Rental and Sweetwater Cabin.

All facilities on the Ocala National Forest are closed. This includes Sweetwater Cabin and the Juniper Creek Canoe Run.

Anyone having reservations for camping at Juniper Springs will automatically receive a refund in two to three weeks.

We are all hoping this is resolved quickly, and apologize for the inconvenience to our wonderful visitors.
    https://www.facebook.com/JuniperSprings

The Florida Trail on Ocala is open.

Yes, again, the PRIVATELY owned campgrounds are open but the US campgrounds are closed, like I said above. The Juniper Springs Campground is not private. Lake in the Forest is still open, as are Arrowhead Campsites, Camp Kiwanis,Goethe Trailhead Campground, etc...
    Last edited by lilricky; 10-09-2013 at 09:04.

Hello FT Hikers....

I currently offer hiker shuttles along the FT anywhere in the Ocala National Forest. Cost is $30-60 per SUV load. I offer prompt and reliable service. Female driver is available for anyone preferring "female/female" shuttle. Weekday or weekend...Please call 352-427-2990 and ask for Carl..

Thanks!

Hello Carl,
    Glad to see a new shuttle in ONF. How much time do you need?

Hopefully we get some cold weather this year.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++