WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stowing a meths stove

I use the FeatherFire meths stove which is great. I store it in my cook pot which gets a meths smell at times. I double bag with bubble wrap and a freezer bag which just about does the trick, but wonder what others use for small pop can stoves.I don't want to pack it separately as the pot keeps the stove safe.

Images

What? Heisenberg is still cooking?
    Biggie

Images

Sorry. For those who get the reference, I'm having Breaking Bad withdrawals.
    Biggie

Meths - that's UK-speak for alcohol, correct?

Yes sorry about that it is alcohol.Methylated spirits with a purple colourant in it over here. On the AT I would probalbly use the yellow Heet which hasn't the problem if I remember right.

It hasn't got a purple colourant, if that's what you mean.

ES-know what you mean, I don't like to store it in the pot either but mostly do. One of my stoves needs a pot support so I often put the stove in the pot stand along with a lighter and small fuel bottle and carry them in a baggie on top of the lidded pot, which then holds food and drink in a baggie. The two then are packed inside a light mesh bag and placed in an easy to reach place. This makes a tea break quick and easy.

I don't worry too much about the lingering fumes of alcohol itself but I do wonder what unknown additives may be in the fuel and its residue that might be unhealthy.

There was this thread, I asked basically the same question, no one who posted seemed to have a problem
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...alcohol+stoves

It's just so convenient to store everything in the pot, as it's normally the largest bit that doesn't collapse, fold or roll up. All I can suggest is that you very carefully clean the burner and double bag before packing. I've never used UK "meths", only the uncolored US version and I've never noticed the odor being a particular problem. Does the UK version have something in it to make it taste nasty, in addition to the purple color?

For the featherfire stoves you can also use the Klean Strip Denatured Alcohol. They make the std. one and then a 'green' version which is a little bit cleaner I think. It is ethanol vs. methanol which a lot of people say is healthier for long term use. I think the Klean Strip is 95% ethanol and 5% methanol. Everclear is a brand of 190 proof alcohol that you can get at the alcohol store, it is the cleanest and most efficient but also very expensive. For featherfire those are your options. I have the XL and am hoping that at towns they will have one of these.

The Feather Fire is very efficient ,although I do measure the fuel there is often a bit left after boiling,I am going to try burning any residue off.

++ New Posts ++