WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Here is a link for a summer quilt.
    http://kringlelight.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/sin50/

Couple of things...
    1. It doesn't have to be as complex as that is. I ended up basically with a 6ft by 4ft square quilt with loops built into the seams along the bottom and sides of the bottom so I could cinch the bottom around my feet if I wanted to.
    2. You can make it warmer, instead of using 2.5 oz climashield, upgrade to 5.0oz.
    3. Basically....if you can run the sewing machine in a straight line... you can sew this stuff.
    4. If you successfully do a quilt, you can do the backpack. The kits are as low as $35.

If you REALLY want the opinions of the ultralight backpacking crowd, go to backpackinglight.com. There are some serious hardcore (crazy?) ultralightweight backpackers there.

1. "Examples of this are camp shoes (just loosen the laces of what you hike in)"
      That is one of my favourite camping tricks.
      I carry a few bread bags (plastic wrappers) with me for that purpose. Once I have had a wash (if I have wet shoes and or is raining) I put clean socks on, cover those with the bread bag and walk around with the shoes undone.
      Those plastic bags can also be used to warm your feet in bed and your hands in cold rain.
      If you come across snow with uninsulated shoes, they can also keep your feet warm (but wet from perspiration) in that situation.
      They will brake but are free.

As for DIY projects, I would look at used gear instead. By the time you cat all the bits and pay for postage and do a prototype or two it may not be as cheap as some make it out to be.
      That is of course if it isn't a hobby type activity for you...

BTW, if you have any questions on the Contrail, PM me...

You say you have titanium cookware... How much are we talking? Your not going to be cooking gourmet meals (I don't think), so leave most of it at home. All you need is a 750-1000ml pot and something to eat with (spork).

I agree your pack is probably the easiest place to start trimming weight. Auburn used to have a couple of nice outfitters. Do you know if they are still there? I dont remember the names. Speaking of making a quilt, there is a thread running on hammock forums where they are talking about making quilts from some JC penny down jackets that are on sale for $25.00 each. Some folks have made some pretty nice looking quilts judging from the pictures.

I am working on my base weight too so far down to about 17lbs so still a bit of trimming to do here.

Images

Pad: Look at the Klymit Static V. Full length pad, 19oz, $60.

If you're considering a DIY quilt, I recommend the Ray Way quilt kit. It's $89 and comes with really excellent instructions. That's only $10-15 more than buying all the materials yourself. I think the instructions and saving the hassle of buying everything separately are worth it.
    http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm

And if you really want to save some cash, you can get a blue foam pad from Walmart for $10 that is similar to a Ridgerest in comfort and warmth. (Very warm, not very comfortable!)

I also agree with whoever said that simply not brining something is the cheapest (and lightest!) option. Why don't you post your gear list in this thread? I think you can certainly go UL/frameless, just roll up your sleeping pad inside the pack as a frame. Once you replace that Gregory you will be very close to a UL base weight anyway.

The six moon designs Swift is $110 and weighs 15 oz! I haven't used this pack but wow you can't beat that price to weight savings ratio! On the AT you don't need to carry much water or food (unless you want to) because the water sources and towns are so close together. Just pointing out you won't ever be weighed down with 6 days of food and 6 liters of water in an UL pack like what can happen on the PCT.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs/Swift.html

how experienced are you? I say go full on UL!!! Why not? I was able to get my base weight way down by just going minimalist in what I needed. Of course it doesn't help when I decide I "need" to bring 2 cans of beer with me!!

I would start with clothing. I would use one set of clothes to hike in, and one set to sleep in. There is no need to carry any more. Also, evaluate your gear as systems. What items do you have that you can use in multiple ways? Wool socks can add warmth to thinner gloves for example. Do you carry a trowel? If so, use a stick to dig a hole instead. What is your bear bag line made of? Zpacks.com spectra cord saved me a few ounces over para-cord. I doubt you need more than a keychain sized swiss army knife with a blade and scissors, or a very lightweight multi tool. Platypus bags are much lighter than nalgene bottles. A sawyer squeeze filter or mini filter is lighter than a pump filter. Aqua mirra drops are even lighter than that. I got lighter by doing two things: I read Andrew Skurka's book "THE ULTIMATE HIKER'S GEAR GUIDE," and I went on a couple multi day hikes. The latter really helped me shed some things that I really didn't need. Lastly, check out some of the various youtube videos from past hikers. They often post a gear list of what they started carrying, and what they ended up carrying when they finished. I guarantee you will have your stuff whittled down within a couple hundred miles of hiking. Best of luck and enjoy your experience! Last lastly--if you spend any money, start with your backpack. I love my ULA Catalyst. I went from a 7 pound Jansport Tundra to a couple pound Catalyst and it mad a world of difference on my back.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Images

I have extensive gear lists for U/L-Summer and 3-seaon lightweight with weights and cost. If interested PM with your email address---sorry I missed your body weight.....

A new pack could save you more than 3 pounds. I have an osprey exos 46 and I love it. It weighs just over 2 pounds. Backcountry and rei are both having 20% sales right now.

Also your user name looks like a tiger ID.

It is. Are you a student down here?

I am. Do you have your entire gear list posted somewhere? You can definitely lose weight by upgrading your big items; however, don't forget the small things. They can really add up.

Journal Entries

Buy a kitchen scale from walmart, and weigh everything.
    Or go to the post office and use theirs for FREE.
    Guessing doesnt work well.

No one can help you if you only post the weight of 4 items.

But, you have the right idea, the big 4 (pack, tent, bag, pad) are where much weight resides.
    After that watch the clothing. High quality light weight clothing, and no redundancy will keep weight low
    Forget all the stuffsacks, they add up
    Simple light stove and pot
    Lightweight raingear
    Lightwt water bottles and treatment option

The best 'cost per ounce-saved' ratio is to be had in your big three or four items--pack, shelter, bag and pad. It might seem like you are spending a lot of money but you are probably going to save the most weight for the least amount of money and time by upgrading to lighter gear here. Look at tarp shelters, a short thermarest self inflating or closed cell pad, a smaller capacity lighter pack, and a high quality down bag. Then you can move on to the small stuff. You may find that a you tube searh for post trail gear videos will put you on the right track for gear that works on a through hike.

I appreciate all the suggestions. A few people have suggested posting my gear list, but I want to hold off on that for a little while. I'm want to get in a few nights with what I currently have to get an idea of what I do or do not like, but without the bias of being told I need to get rid of something. There's still a good bit of time before the spring and I'll be looking at specifics quickly enough.

The Pine Mountain Trail makes a nice little overnight trip. It's about a 40 minute drive from campus. I think the entire trail is about 24 miles.

Images

Although I am a Section Hiker...........only difference is miles, am usually out for 10-12 days.

I DEFINITELY carried too much food and too many clothes years ago. Did not allocate for meals in town. Now that I typically hike until dark and don't cook anymore, am in my sleeping bag pretty fast, use to carry camp clothes. Also stopped taking flip flops / crocs, just wear my low tops unlaced.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    ...I DEFINITELY carried too much food and too many clothes years ago. Did not allocate for meals in town. Now that I typically hike until dark and don't cook anymore, am in my sleeping bag pretty fast, use to carry camp clothes. Also stopped taking flip flops / crocs, just wear my low tops unlaced.
    Yeah, many here post, "One set of clothes to hike in, one to sleep in." I wonder, why do you carry clothes to sleep in? That just wasted weight the way I travel.

A lot of going lighter comes down to this--are you packing for a camping trip, or for a hiking trip? There's nothing wrong either way, just different.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Default Cheapest place to save weight?

If you're gonna be out in rain or snow, that extra set of clothes to sleep in is real nice.

Images

I keep the extra sleep clothing in a ziplock bag. If my hiking clothes are wet, I'm assured of a dry night sleep. Here's the quilt I made. I sewed the foot box after using velcro for a trip or 2, and sewed the end up. Keeping it open never happened, even in the summer.

http://www.lytw8.com/uploads/LytW8_S...structions.pdf

I also made my own frameless pack, saved 4 lbs. But that's not for everyone...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++