WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Back Road Safety?

Im not sure exactly how to sum up this question but I have heard several shuttles and what not talking about being careful on the back road trail heads and road crossings etc. and that they dont go back in the "hollers" after dark. How relistic is the risk of running into trouble getting on the trail or passing roads at night or even during the day. I carry and am very aware of my surroundings as most of us are but that doesnt lower my chances of trouble. As well, Vandelism, and could vandelism to the car take the place of a hostel environment if we were to say be gearing up at the car?

Just throw some experiences out there or stories that you know of

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I section frequently and park at all kinds of trail heads, often just before dark or early in the morning. Never had a problem. But that, of course, doesn't mean it doesn't. I do pay attention to the notices on the ATC's website about trailhead parking to avoid due to recent vandalism.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Journal Entries

I have never had any problems anywhere that i have passed or parked. When i leave my truck i leave the doors unlocked. i would rather them take the whole truck instead of break the windows to find there is nothing for them inside. never had any problems at trail heads. dumb people have asked me if i was hiking though. there are alot of dumb people to watch out for.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There have been incidents on the trail, hostels, or in towns. Gettysburg, Meredith, Vandeventer, Shenandoah, and scary Mr Randall Smith. But they are usually rare. You will usually find more petty theft. Hikers stealing from each other or businesses. Vandalism is more by locals.

Usually if you run into someone who is questionable, you want to keep walking or camp well away from them.

There will be areas, especially in areas where the trail passes next to private property, where the locals will give hikers hard times. But those are rare.

But camping next to public/private roads is not fun or safe. Litter and water pollution is one big thing to contend with.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 10-08-2013 at 16:05.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I don't recommend camping near road crossings as there is a bigger window to run into problems. I had some trouble sleeping once when I did this due to partiers and hunters.

Often at road crossings you are descending which improves hearing and sight contact. Just taking a minute to listen and look ahead can help to alleviate concerns. Cars have lights and people may have lights on as well. I will slow or speed my crossing to avoid cars at night. Drivers may not expect a hiker to step out of the woods at night.

You might switch to red light if you have that setting on your headlamp so as to not so brightly advertise your presence.

If you can avoid a lengthy gearing up at the trailhead, that would provide less opportunity for someone to see you just leaving your car. Vandalism and theft do happen but repeated instances get reported and the word does get out. I've never had a vehicle vandalized myself, nor a theft.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Just worry if you hear banjo music or if some local says you have a pruddy mouth.

500full.jpg

Just remember to walk softly and carry a sweet-ass bow.

Thanks everyone for your thoght!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

The trail is safer than the safest small town in the U.S. - but just be aware - especially in the months when there are not many folks out there and / or if you are alone. 1) Check the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's site for current updates on vandalism at trail head parking areas. 2) Mostly petty theft break-ins ... don't have anything in your parked vehicle visible 3) Don't be paranoid - but according to your best lie - if alone - say: someone else is coming to meet you at trailhead / catch up to you on trail / waiting for you up ahead somewhere. 4) When asked "Where you going?" - Answer: "As far as my feet will take me".

+1 on not camping near roads. I woke up once in the middle of the night to some rednecks throwing beer bottles at my tent. Most troublemakers are lazy and will only mess with you if you are right by the road. So hike an extra mile before setting up camp. You'll also see locals who want to party camping at road crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Im not sure exactly how to sum up this question but I have heard several shuttles and what not talking about being careful on the back road trail heads and road crossings etc. and that they dont go back in the "hollers" after dark.
    It could also be that the folks doing the shuttles are worried that someone might be trying to "set them up" if they called for a "ride" after dark.
    Kind of similar to what has happened (for example) with pizza delivery people being sent to an unoccupied house where someone is waiting to steal from them (not that a shuttle person is guaranteed to have money, but they certainly could - or someone could simply take their vehicle or whatever).

I'd rather be, in some dark holler, where the sun don't ever shine, than to be in some big city. We're not all a bunch of inbred rapists. The fear of bears and hillbillies on this site is amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    I'd rather be, in some dark holler, where the sun don't ever shine, than to be in some big city. We're not all a bunch of inbred rapists. The fear of bears and hillbillies on this site is amusing.
    +1. I was born and mostly raised in a big city. Give me some of my local "hillbilly" friends any time.

Journal Entries

What are the carry laws for NH and Maine ? Anyone know if it is okay to carry in your truck if you are going to Katahdin to pick someone up ? Thanks, leaving VT to get there Thursday, Oct 10'

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Just worry if you hear banjo music or if some local says you have a pruddy mouth.
    If you hear banjos, hike faster.

++ New Posts ++