WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Here's what I use - comes in at just over 7 oz in size XL. Very happy with it.

http://www.golite.com/Mens-Malpais-R...et-P46940.aspx

Know this - if it's raining you're going to get wet if you hike in it - I don't care what you're wearing. It'll be from rain or sweat -but you'll get wet.
    I like that jacket. May have to pick one if those up

Default A good breathable rain jacket will usually keep me drier.

Firstly, usually when I'm wearing a rain jacket it isn't pouring rain all day. As often as not it's raining off and on or it's not raining at all and I'm just wearing it for cold/wind.

Backpackinglight has run tests showing breathable rain jackets do in fact breathe to a significant degree. So under most conditions I will be drier and more comfortable with a good breathable rain jacket.

If it's pouring rain, so hard that my whole rain jacket is streaming water, yes, a breathable jacket is not going to significantly breathe. In most conditions though, I don't agree with the attitude that "I'll be just as wet" wearing a rain jacket as not wearing a rain jacket. There may be times where that's true, but many times I've taken off my rain jacket at the end of a long rainy day and found my hiking shirt wet around the cuffs and neck and over my shoulders (which is a big condensation point) and the rest of my shirt looking dry. I have also hiked long rainy cold days wearing a down jacket under my rain coat. My down jacket would not end up soaked and that's a big deal. (Obviously fleece is a better choice under those conditions.)

Now, if it's 75 degrees and pouring rain and I'm climbing a steep slope with a heavy pack, yup, my shirt will end up soaked, rain jacket or not. A big part of not sweating under a rain jacket is pacing, ventilation, and an appropriate amount of insulation or even not wearing one at all if it's too hot.

Bottom line: in my experience a quality breathable rain jacket will keep me significantly drier and more comfortable overall.

I have an Outdoor Research Zealot that has worked great on 2 thru-hikes. I've worn Red Ledge Thunderlight on my other hikes. They last through one thru-hike for me. They have worked great for me and are a good value.

An inexpensive option is Dri Ducks. An expensive but more durable jacket is eVent from Rab.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

To the OP, your jacket isn't leaking but the DWR has worn off and the jacket is soaking up the moisture. When that happens, the jacket won't breathe and your body, emitting condensation, will wet your clothing underneath.

The solution is to reapply DWR. Nikwax works amazing and I would recommend the wash in solution. Do one treatment and the fabric will bead water like it is brand new. I reapply annually.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    To the OP, your jacket isn't leaking but the DWR has worn off and the jacket is soaking up the moisture. When that happens, the jacket won't breathe and your body, emitting condensation, will wet your clothing underneath.

The solution is to reapply DWR. Nikwax works amazing and I would recommend the wash in solution. Do one treatment and the fabric will bead water like it is brand new. I reapply annually.
    How long is it reasonable to expect the DWR to last after purchase or reapplying? Since mine is new and apparently needs a new application after a few weeks of only intermittent use, I'd have to guess that someone doing a thru hike on the long trails would be reapplying a few times at town stops. Is that a common practice?
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

http://blistergearreview.com/features/outerwear-101 Everything you ever wanted to know about 'waterproof breathable' fabric

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    http://blistergearreview.com/features/outerwear-101 Everything you ever wanted to know about 'waterproof breathable' fabric
    Great link that helps explain the technical side. Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker View Post
    How long is it reasonable to expect the DWR to last after purchase or reapplying? Since mine is new and apparently needs a new application after a few weeks of only intermittent use, I'd have to guess that someone doing a thru hike on the long trails would be reapplying a few times at town stops. Is that a common practice?
    I have an eVent jacket that had really poor DWR as soon as I bought it. You pose a good question but realistically, there is no definitive answer. Pack straps will wear off DWR quickly as well so the more you use the jacket, the more quickly the DWR will breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    I have an eVent jacket that had really poor DWR as soon as I bought it. You pose a good question but realistically, there is no definitive answer. Pack straps will wear off DWR quickly as well so the more you use the jacket, the more quickly the DWR will breakdown.
    Really good point FamilyGuy. It is going to be interesting to see how the new CF/eVENT fabric handles this. Started putting it to the test last week and from a performance perspective (brand new) it is doing way better than any other rain jacket I have ever used, but, as you said, fabrics like eVENT can only take so much.

Images

I (LightHeart Gear) am in the process of developing a fantastic rain jacket - I have several of them out being tested right now, just waiting on some feedback (it never rains when you WANT it to). The fabric is not a 'breathable', but a very light ripstop nylon silicone coated on the outside, pu coated on the inside. The jacket has pit zips, and it has a hood with a real brim to keep the rain off of glasses.l The brim can be squished and smooshed when packed away and will pop right back out when needed. The jacket has inside waterproof pockets as well as side seam /hand pockets. - coming soon to the website.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I (LightHeart Gear) am in the process of developing a fantastic rain jacket - I have several of them out being tested right now, just waiting on some feedback (it never rains when you WANT it to). The fabric is not a 'breathable', but a very light ripstop nylon silicone coated on the outside, pu coated on the inside. The jacket has pit zips, and it has a hood with a real brim to keep the rain off of glasses.l The brim can be squished and smooshed when packed away and will pop right back out when needed. The jacket has inside waterproof pockets as well as side seam /hand pockets. - coming soon to the website.
    could you please stop coming up with great stuff?
    im going broke

luv my solong 6 btw

Images

Pants are too hot, every time I take them I never wear them. Someone mentioned a skirt to keep rain off above the knees, didn't think much about it at the time because I didn't want added weight. I believe I'm going to try putting some velcro on my Tyvek ground cloth, which is fairly narrow (Notch tent), and see if I can have it do double duty as a rain skirt.

Images

Drybones,
    Rain Wrap - There are others on the market as well.

I never wear rain pants. The only time I ever swap my normal pants is in the winter when there is lots of snow (at least a foot). I will usually take a pair of gortex pants if I think I will be walking through it. Otherwise, I find that wet bottoms don't bother me as much as a wet torso. Your legs will warm themselves as long as you are moving. Your torso needs a bit more protection and warmth. At least that's the case with me.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Another rain pants option are wind pants. I have a pair of Montbell UL Wind Pants (2 oz) with DWR that work well in shedding light to medium rain. Yes, they will eventually wet out, but they breathe exceedingly well, they provide just enough warmth for 40-degree rain, work well under a Packa, and keep the rain out of my boots if I "drape" the bottoms over shortie gators.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++