WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The North South Trail of Rhode Island

I thought I would bring this 78 mile trail up to date, as I hiked it last week, from the beaches of Charlestown north to the Massachusetts border. Note: once you reach the Mass. border, there is a 2 mile hike out...

First, sources. There is an excellent book by Cliff Vanover, called "The North South Trail." 180 pages long, it has 2 sets of maps, 1:120,000 and 1:24,000. These were very accurate. The book details the walk northbound in detail, including historical information. Alternate paths are also reviewed. Unlike the AT guides, however, there is no information on resources for a thru-hiker, such as water locations. The trail is well marked, but at a few intersections, the map and description kept me on the correct path. In addition, rigreenways.org has some online maps, though not much more information.

As I said, the trail is well-marked, with a combination of blue blazes and/or plastic N/S trail logo signs. About a third of the trail is made up of paved and unpaved state roads, another third of 4-wheeler or worse dirt roads through overgrown woods, with many rutted and rocky sections, and the remainder nice hiking paths through the woods. Though there is little vertical (800+ feet) in RI, several stretches were somewhat technical, enough to keep it interesting.

This was a warm-up hike for me. I'm doing the AT next year, bought most of my gear, but had only done some overnight hikes and Mt. Marcy this year. I averaged 16 miles a day, stealth camped twice, stayed in two campgrounds, got rained on one night, and had temps from 40 degrees to 95 degrees on my last day.

Lessons learned:
    • I'm 61. My starting pack weight, with 8 pounds of food and 2 liters of water was about 32 pounds. Regardless that I was stronger on day 5, I found that for me, 5-6 pounds was MAJOR, the difference between a leisurely jaunt and a burden.
    • Clark NX-250. I love this hammock! At 3 pounds with whoopie sling, it's heavy, but the comfort plus 6 storage pockets is a good tradeoff. I use a Hammock Gear cuben tarp, which is awesome, and an HG 20 degree quilt, also awesome at 20 ounces!
    • My ULA Catalyst is "heavy" at 3 pounds; I'm going to try Chris' OHM 2.0 and Circuit to check the tradeoff of comfort and support vs. weight.
    • I need to work on my clothing weight. I have the right materials, Merino, etc, but perhaps not the right weights.
    • Cookware. I erred on the large size here, buying an Evernew 1.3 liter pot, with the complete Caldera Tri-Ti, wood burning setup at $180. Though is works fine, I'm a canister person, so will sell this alcohol/Esbit/wood setup for 25% off, at $135 shipped. Comes with a cozy for free.
    • Trail runners. I'm sold. I hiked all summer with high top boots, and decided to give low cuts a shot. Well, to me, the weight difference and quick to dry is worth the protection trade-off.

To-do
    • Reduce pack weight.
    • Get in better shape. I need a plan to work out over the winter here, with a late March launch. Any suggestions?
    • Insulation: I have some 1/8" foam that works great below 40 degrees for me, but sucks on the ground if I go to shelter. My air mattress comes in at 20 ounces. I want the flexibility of both, but not the weight... Thoughts?
    • Practice: breaking down camp, from crawling out of the bag until pack on the back, took me about 90 minutes each day with a hot breakfast. I want to get that down to under an hour. Is that reasonable?

Images

A/B, Thank you for the interesting trip report. This is the first I have heard of this trail. It sounds like you are well on your way in preparing for your AT hike. The only thing I would recommend is to work out on some steeper trails to get you ready for the AT, but I understand that that may be difficult to do in Rhode Island.

If you are satisfied with your hammock and underquilt I would leave the air mattress and pad at home. I can understand wanting the flexibility to go to the ground, but I do not think it is worth the weight. Perhaps a small pad for sitting could provide small comfort if situations force you to the ground.

Different people have different morning routines, but I am the roll out of bed and go type. I find the hammock system especially great for fast getaways. If I am having a cold breakfast I like to hike a few miles and enjoy it someplace nice, if I am having a hot breakfast I'll get the water boiling first thing after I roll out of my hammock. On a nice day I'll be mostly packed by the time it is ready, on a rainy day I'll linger under my tarp. Once you get in a routine I am sure you will on the go quicker.

Good luck, Scott

Is this the trail you were telling me about, Teacher?

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, DH...Snacktime and I did a 9 miles southbound section from just past Wood River Junction to Blue Shutters Beach (the southern end).

OP...as I recall, Vanover's book explains that the N/S is not recommended as a thruhike, as camping is illegal in most of it, thus certain info is omitted.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    the N/S is not recommended as a thruhike, as camping is illegal in most of it, thus certain info is omitted.
    Sounds the same with all of CT's blue trails. What really stinks is that, even on state land, camping is not permitted (unless a youth group). I think the M-M-M trail would be great otherwise!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

If, like me, one has been converted to hammock hanging, then a LNT stealth camp for an overnight is possible on the NET (aka M-M-M). In Ct. I did stay "near" the Rockland Preserve site in Madison & Cattail Shelter in Durham, with 3 nights of stealth. Though 1 of those nights was actually right on the Ct/Ma border on a friend's property in the town I grew up in (Agawam, Ma). It would be great to see a cpl of shelters put up in Ct. We've got 5 shelters/lean-tos/cabins here in the WMass portion. Maybe with the new National Scenic Trail designation, this can happen for Ct. in the not to distant future. Ended my most recent portion at Ruggles Pond in Wendell State Forest last week. Going up to Mt. Monadnock this coming Saturday & heading SOBO back to Ruggles Pond for the finish. Since retirement, I've got plenty of time to take my time, so it's going to be a nice "slow stroll" over the course of 7 days. I'll be spending 2 full days camping in the Tully Lake area (W. Royalston/Athol, Ma). One of my favorite locales in that neck of the woods!! Next up on the calendar....5-7 days on the Taconic Crest Trail mid October. Can't beat this time of year to be out in the peaceful wonder of Nature!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Awesome to hear others are doing this trail! I've actually considered writing the CT DEEP about some of their state land that the trail runs through.. A shelter would be great, but even allowing people a legal designated LNT zone would make atleast make a thru hike "legal".

What book are you using for the Mass section? Both CT Walk books seem to cover this end

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

I've got the Massachusetts Trail Guide 9th Edition (2009)
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Thanks for the detailed post. I have considered doing this trail at some point, but the road walks always dissuade me. FWIW...I have a ULA CDT and Circuit. They are my go to packs.

++ New Posts ++