WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Female hiking.....

I am very new to backpacking and the AT. Originally I wanted to hike from Harpers Ferry to Springer however because I am such a novice I am thinking that I would like to begin with Harpers Ferry to Damascus. I am from VA so it will be exciting to hike the state. I am curiouse how common it is to see female hikers backpacking alone? I am having a hard time finding someone to join me for the trip because VA is a lengthy hike! Plus I don't really want to go with experienced backpackers because I am such a beginner. I'm not sure that going alone is the right way though. Anyone have information? Thoughts? Or advice? Or want to hike the AT through VA with a beginner next year?!

Journal Entries

On a thru hike it was very evident that female hikers rarely hike alone. There is always some male hiker(s) that will hike with her, for better, middle or worse. It is mostly spans the gamut of romantic/sexual to friends to almost brother protector like, I suppose and heard a couple of cases where it went into the bad side - but rare and quickly remedied. I don't know if it is even possible for a female to do a thru hike without this happening in some form. If you are in a SoBo bubble I think you can expect that you won't hike alone and I think you could trust the trail to provide companionship.

Journal Entries

Ive encountered many female hikers hiking alone. Its not unusual.
    If you want company, you will probably find it though. Many thru hikers tend to fall into groups called "trail families" and will stay with these groups for long periods, untill they fall apart.

Many people that call themselves "experienced" backpackers are no better than un-informed beginners. It greatly depends on what you refer to as an experienced backpacker. If you read a lot here, or at BPL, you would probably be better off than 90% of the "backpackers" out there.

Hiking with others can be fun.
    Hiking solo is rewarding in many ways.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by littlebraveone2014 View Post
    I am very new to backpacking and the AT. Originally I wanted to hike from Harpers Ferry to Springer however because I am such a novice I am thinking that I would like to begin with Harpers Ferry to Damascus. I am from VA so it will be exciting to hike the state. I am curiouse how common it is to see female hikers backpacking alone? I am having a hard time finding someone to join me for the trip because VA is a lengthy hike! Plus I don't really want to go with experienced backpackers because I am such a beginner. I'm not sure that going alone is the right way though. Anyone have information? Thoughts? Or advice? Or want to hike the AT through VA with a beginner next year?!
    to White Blaze! The AT is a very social trail - Even if you start alone, you won't necessarily end up hiking alone. If you start with the majority of the NOBO hikers next spring, you will have plenty of other people in camp. When you are starting out, being around (not necessarily hiking with) experienced backpackers can help you gain a lot of knowledge. My advice is to ask questions now, then you can put your new knowledge to use on the trail. The absolute quickest way to get experience as a backpacker is to just get out there and do it. I doubt the majority of backpackers started out knowing exactly what to do on the trail - I know I didn't!

I have met lots of female hikers who were out there (either day hiking, or backpacking) alone. Personally, trail time is my time. I am the type of person who is normally looking after everyone else. When I am on the trail, that time is for me. That is why I tend to hike by myself. I'll hike with friends if the mood suits me, or will hike with others (who want to hike with me) if they are traveling at the same pace. I just love the freedom to hike when I want to hike, watch nature when I want a break, and just hike my hike without hiking on another person's schedule.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    On a thru hike it was very evident that female hikers rarely hike alone. There is always some male hiker(s) that will hike with her, for better, middle or worse. It is mostly spans the gamut of romantic/sexual to friends to almost brother protector like, I suppose and heard a couple of cases where it went into the bad side - but rare and quickly remedied. I don't know if it is even possible for a female to do a thru hike without this happening in some form. If you are in a SoBo bubble I think you can expect that you won't hike alone and I think you could trust the trail to provide companionship.
    Well, that sucks. I don't want some random guy attached to me on the trail, for whatever reason.
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

I think you would enjoy reading some trail journals from woman around your age that go hiking alone, go to http://www.trailjournals.com/index.cfm and look around. If you want to give your general age people can recommend some journals.
    There is also a female forum here you could read, if you haven't already.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by marshbirder View Post
    Well, that sucks. I don't want some random guy attached to me on the trail, for whatever reason.
    It's not what happens when you have static cling and inadvertently get stuck to the curtains! ha ha

Politely detach yourself (if you find some random guy trying to hike with you) and hike on. I have found this to be a non-issue most of the time. Most people (not just guys) are pretty good about catching on if ya want to meander on down the trail by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by marshbirder View Post
    LOL well I'm not exactly innocent in the "trail boyfriend" department, but I think Starchild's observation has more to so with the gender breakdown on the trail. There are more men, so any lady who is looking will pretty much have her pick of the men (and some of the women!!) on the trail. I always say, the odds are good but the goods are odd!!

But as to your question I think the AT is perfectly safe for a woman to hike alone. To raise your confidence, why not do a few short weekend hikes to get some experience, and get used to your gear? The Grayson Highlands are really beautiful and easy to access by car. Thomas Knob shelter on the AT is only 4 miles from the parking lot!!

I am a single woman, but a grandmother. I am planning on hiking next year from Harper's Ferry to Springer starting mid April. I am not very experienced myself but not afraid at all. Cautious but not afraid. If you think you may want to start together sent me a message. You can do this.
    Last edited by WeShallSee; 09-21-2013 at 22:08. Reason: typo
    God is good all the time; all the time God is good. - We Shall See 2015

Until this past July I had never been backpacking with another person. By myself I've never gone more than three days, so this thru hike is going to be a big step! I like hiking alone because I don't have to worry about keeping up with somebody, somebody waiting for me, me waiting for somebody... It's nice to be able to stop whenever I want, eat lunch whenever I want and hike for as long or as little as I want. Friends and family worry about me being out on the trail by my lonesome, so I keep my phone on me and try to send out a text whenever I can.

Images

When I went sobo last year about half of the women I met were hiking by themselves. That said, when you're a late-start southbounder it's a small sample size.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't really want to go with experienced backpackers because I am such a beginner.
    Because everyone has their own way of doing things, actually the best thing you could do is to take a couple of weekend trips with experienced backpackers. Every time I've done just a simple weekend trip with a new partner I've either learned something or at least gotten some new ideas on improving some of the ways I do things.

A friend and I will be hiking Damascas to Harpers Ferry in Spring 2015. (Easy train ride back to DC vs trying to get a friend to come pick us up in Damascas without definitive arrival date) If you, or anyone else, wants to go, just shoot me a message.

Images

I'm a single woman planning a 2015 thru NOBO. The first thing people ask me when I tell them this is "you're going alone?!" I always tell them that I expect to run into a whole community of hikers out there. I also think you shouldn't necessarily avoid the experienced backpackers. Don't let them make you feel insecure, but use them as excellent resources!

On a side note, Quasarr had the best quote ever! "I always say, the odds are good but the goods are odd!!" Thanks for the laugh!

++ New Posts ++