WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Thoughts on hiking with your dog after reading the two Articles on here.

Quick background, I am posting this as an avid backpacker, a former professional dog trainer and a current volunteer with a K-9 search and rescue team. I am not implying not implying that what I say here is the end all be all of hiking with a dog by any means. I know that there are many many ways to get the job done. This post is just to offer some further insight or additional personal thoughts after reading the two actual articles on here. Also, I am writing this from the perspective of a hiker that lets his dog run off leash and bound happily through the woods. Okay with all that said...

The number one most important thing in hiking with your dog is to know your dog. You know what your dog likes, what he/she doesn't like, how they react to different scenerios etc. Every dog is an individual as anyone who is seriously considering bring a dog on the A.T. should already know. If you haven't had you pup/dog long enough to really know them don't take them or at the very least take them with a solid back up plan so that 4 days in if your pup can't or simply doesn't want to hack it, he doesn't have to. Remember, you know why you are hiking, you know your motivations. YOUR DOG DOESN'T. Its just another part of life to them. You can train your dog to death and have a puppy that responds perfectly to ever command but it doesn't mean he wants to wander through the woods for weeks/months/even weekends at a time. This also plays in to how to hike with your dog. I have two dogs. The one coming with me loves to run off leash. He just wants to see and explore and experience every little tiny minute terribly miniscule thing, at a running pace of course. My other boy just walks behind me so close that he occasionally steps on my heels and is as happy as pie being outside and hiking with dad but has no need to go running everywhere. What this means to me, It means that I need to have a pretty solid recall/come command for him. Why? Because all the training in the world isn't going to make this dog HAPPY walking slowly on the leash beside me all the way down the A.T. If I additionally couldn't trust that he will listen to my commands enough to keep him safe I felt I would need to leash him to take him... I wouldn't be taking him. You have to acknowledge your dogs interests and motives and adjust and prepare accordingly. Also consider this old relationship saying. If your going into it expecting your partner to change the partnership is destined to fail. I think the A.T. will be a tremendous bonding journey for Aramis and I. All my dogs have learned love and devotion best by hiking with me because I worry about what they want and need and do my best to make sure that everyone is having a good time and is safe.

Speaking of safety go into the hike with this assumption(even if it isn't true). Your dog is not in better shape than you are. A dog will run until it dies out of excitement and joy. We know better, they just think life is awesome until it isn't. I know the mileage I want to make and it is going to frustrate me a bit the first week on the trail because I am doing short days like 8-9 maybe 10 miles. Again this is because my dog is off leash. I accept that that 8-10 miles for me will be like 16-20 for him. I take my puppy on trail runs and I lojack him sometimes. I run at an average of 6-7 miles and hour for longer runs, even with that on a 7.5 mile trail run I remember he ran 16.5 when i checked the gps later. Just the other weekend I went backpacking with my boys and did about 9 miles each day. Sort of boring because that is about 4 hours of hiking but the dogs were playing and attentive and excited to be on the trail the next day which is what I want. I don't care if I am exhausted on the trail because I did it to myself but I want that pup of mine to want to play tug and roll on the ground at the next morning instead of being all sore and stiff. I would also recommend learning dog massage. I am not kidding! Think how awesome it would be if at the end of a long day you could get a nice massage when you dropped your pack, if someone rubbed your shoulders, and worked the kinks out of your back and legs. Yea exactly it would be AWESOME!! Also doing this will help keep your pup from feeling as sore and more prepared for the following day. I would also recommend teaching your dog to stand and stay or stand for inspection. My boy will stand still while I pat him down on the sides, check his ears/teeth, walk around him and lift up each leg and check his pads and feet etc. It makes it a lot easier.

Another thing to consider is this. The hardest thing I ever had to overcome in training and in dog ownership is that they weren't computers. Know that your dog will never ever ever never be totally predictable. An example, my last dog was actually a better hiker than Aramis, he had a fairly strong prey drive but I could call him out of a solid run after a deer. Even with that ability, about once every day when I would hike with him he would just run off and when I called him he would just blow me off. Why, because he wanted to and knew that if he is off leash there is only so much I can do about it. That is a frustrating but very valid reality. Always err on the side of caution. Your dog may love people and other dogs, and care not much for animals BUT, know that he/she might sporatically change his mind one day. Just like you can walk down a street past someone and even though no conversation took place you just decide, I don't like/trust/want to be near that person. Your dog does that too. Some are obviously more tolerant than others but just something to consider when you see other people, or other dogs etc. I have my boy trained that if we walk up to other hikers he won't pass them, and he will stop and I call him back if he is on the trail when hikers come my way and definately if any of those hikers have a dog. I don't always leash him but I might step off the side of the trail with him when people come by and hold him by the collar until they pass. Admittedly sometimes I just tell the people that he is okay and ask if they want me to call him back and if not I will tell him he can go on past them but I realize that this isn't the best or safest technique. It is much better to have physical control of your dog while passing other hikers and I hear that the hikers appreciate it more as well. Then again F them hyoh. LOL just kidding.

Oh one last thing, even with my off leash running puppy, when it is time to enter camp he is an ON leash puppy. That's all for now but I thoroughly enjoy talking dog so feel free to message me and as more questions if you like what you have read so far. If not, please no negativity on this thread. I know no everyone will agree.

There were quite a few "LOST DOG" posters along the AT in NC this year. Thats what happens when you let you dog run off leash.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There were quite a few "LOST DOG" posters along the AT in NC this year. Thats what happens when you let you dog run off leash.
    I thought I said no negativity. I did mean to mention that topic but I forgot. I use and recommend the Tagg tracker system for a thru hiking dog.

Quote Originally Posted by AAhiker View Post
    If not, please no negativity on this thread.
    I thought I said no negativity.
    Are you serious? You can't start a thread on anything - much less a controversial topic - and expect to stifle any opinions or comments that you do not agree with.

Images

My dog was a real PITA the first year bacpacking but now I wouldn"t go without him, I most often tent away from others because my dog protects the area around my camp.

Most of the people we meet really love the dog and the people who don"t are not likable themselves.

lol, i'll pass, love how quickly this one devolved though

I wasn't being negative, I was stating a fact. You your self pointed out your dog runs off and sometimes doesn't come back when called:

Even with that ability, about once every day when I would hike with him he would just run off and when I called him he would just blow me off. Why, because he wanted to and knew that if he is off leash there is only so much I can do about it.
    And when some dogs run off chasing wild life, they get lost and never come back. There seemed to be even more people starting out with dogs on the trail this year then usual. Hence all the lost dog signs.

You make some good points and keeping your dog on a leash all the time is a real PITA, but it's something which is required for many dogs. Maybe not all of them, but most for sure. And we've all heard the stories of dogs chasing a bear, only to have the bear chase the dog right back to you.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Dogs on the trail belong on a leash, period.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Dogs on the trail belong on a leash, period.
    i agree 100%. i keep Kaia on a leach on all trails not to keep her from biting someone, but to keep her safe from other dogs and wildlife. i take her to other areas to play and swim. the longest she has hiked is 50 miles in 3 days. we did a 28 mile day and i think that was too much for her. she does not carry a pack, but wears an orange coat. i enjoy our times out and she sleeps in the hammock with me. i will never put her through a long distance hike, unless she asks to go and pays her own way.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

As long as my black lab wore his pack he stayed pretty much on the trail. At camp I let him run around in circles for a few times and then he slept most of the time except when he was eating his dinner.

Have to agree with the others - dogs need to be leashed. I fully intend to thru-hike with my German Shepherd/collie mix in 2016 or 2017 and I can guarantee he'll be leashed when I'm hiking and when I'm camped at a shelter - and he's 100% a velcro dog. If I'm camped out in the woods (couldn't make it to a shelter for whatever reason) then he'll be off lead, but any other time no - don't want to risk him running off or harrassing other hikers for food. Or, worse yet, running off and running across a bear.

Images

. I have my boy trained that if we walk up to other hikers he won't pass them, and he will stop and I call him back if he is on the trail when hikers come my way and definately if any of those hikers have a dog. I don't always leash him but I might step off the side of the trail with him when people come by and hold him by the collar until they pass. Admittedly sometimes I just tell the people that he is okay and ask if they want me to call him back and if not I will tell him he can go on past them but I realize that this isn't the best or safest technique.
    ...recipe for disaster? Or just asking for trouble? I do speak from experience here. I don't know how many times I have seen(or been surprised by) a dog bounding up the trail at me, sometimes barking loudly, until the owner comes around the bend and says, "Don't worry, he's okay." I am a pretty mild mannered guy, but after the adrenaline wears off, this makes me furious.
    Last edited by chiefduffy; 09-21-2013 at 05:46.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Journal Entries

A well trained dog is a thing of beauty

1) heels when instructed, and stays there until you allow it not to
    2) If you tell it stay, will stay there indefinitely even when you are gone, until you return and tell it to move
    3) comes immediately to you, without exception, when called regardless of distance.

This type of dog may be allowed off-leash. In towns, parks, etc.

On the AT, wildlife is a threat to your dog, it belongs close to you at all times.

I found this very helpful and insightful AAHiker. I do not want to have my dog on the leash 100% of the time and will not bring him if he cannot be off leash at least occasionally (hopefully more). What is the reason for keeping him on leash at camp? how do you get anything done if you are holding a leash? pitch a tarp, cook, etc?

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emilylisborg View Post
    I found this very helpful and insightful AAHiker. I do not want to have my dog on the leash 100% of the time and will not bring him if he cannot be off leash at least occasionally (hopefully more). What is the reason for keeping him on leash at camp? how do you get anything done if you are holding a leash? pitch a tarp, cook, etc?
    I think the assumption is tying a leash to a nearby tree or something. But hey, I'd never hike with a dog, so what do I know.
    We are all one big human family.

Journal Entries
    Images

In my estimation: Folks that start a thru-hike and bring a dog along are not serious about finishing a thru-hike. The rate of hikers starting a thru and finishing is something like 15 to 20 %. Those who take a dog have the odds of finishing more like 2 to 5 %.
    Grampie-N->2001

Thank you AAhiker for your post, it will help a lot as I prepare my lab for our 2014 hike.
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Take it as a negative comment if you will but dogs need to be leashed on the trail. Is it inconvenient? Yes. So is owning a dog.

The best trained dog might obey 99% of the time but do you really want to be out in the woods, no where close to home the one time your dog decides to ignore you? Besides, if you train your dog to expect to be leashed, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Cash Crate - it's not hiking but it helps make pocket change.

Quote Originally Posted by emilylisborg View Post
    Tie him/her to a tree. Even the best trained dog is going to want to go say hello to people that don't want to be said hello to. Or worse, beg for food. Hence my comment that if I'm camping solo, my dog will likely be off lead but when I'm near a shelter - on lead unless he's in my tent with me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice attempt AA hiker, great read... I too LoJack or wireless leash, in deep woods.

Just HYOH and don't worry about the folks that post here and don't have one. They need to adjust to the fact there is wildlife out there both domesticated and wild... Much of White Blaze is about posting subconsciously fears of something or packing a fear... running out of water etc.

Honest I will worry about this when Horse lovers bluebag and young parents control their far to young kids on the cliffs & rocks on the trail.

After so many years this small part of the forum feels like a lost cause.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++