WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emilylisborg View Post
    I found this very helpful and insightful AAHiker. I do not want to have my dog on the leash 100% of the time and will not bring him if he cannot be off leash at least occasionally (hopefully more). What is the reason for keeping him on leash at camp? how do you get anything done if you are holding a leash? pitch a tarp, cook, etc?
    Emilyisborg, When I reach the turn off for a camping area or shelter I put my dog on a leash and walk him down. It is one thing for people to possibly meet my dog on the trail as I pass or they pass me but from personal experience it is an entirely different level of irritation for people if they have to worry about my dog while they are trying to set up their tent, or cook their food ect. I know my dog is inquisitive so he would go up to random people in camp and I understand that is NOT appreciated by most people. And as treesloth said, I'll just hook him up to a tree when I get to camp. Actually I have a bit of rope that I tend to tie between two trees and a decent height so that he won't step on the leash but can also lay down and attach a small carabiner to his leash and the rope. basically a short backwoods runner while I set up my camp area. And Shelters never enter my mind when hiking with my dog/s. If it is empty sure but otherwise I try to keep him far away from people for the sake of their personal space. I'd rather deal with him pulling on the leash a bit (if he still has the energy) than with constantly having to keep a roving watch for what my dog is getting into or who he is bothering in camp.

Journal Entries

I found this very helpful and insightful AAHiker. I do not want to have my dog on the leash 100% of the time and will not bring him if he cannot be off leash at least occasionally (hopefully more). What is the reason for keeping him on leash at camp? how do you get anything done if you are holding a leash? pitch a tarp, cook, etc?
    Emilyisborg, When I reach the turn off for a camping area or shelter I put my dog on a leash and walk him down. It is one thing for people to possibly meet my dog on the trail as I pass or they pass me but from personal experience it is an entirely different level of irritation for people if they have to worry about my dog while they are trying to set up their tent, or cook their food ect. I know my dog is inquisitive so he would go up to random people in camp and I understand that is NOT appreciated by most people. And as treesloth said, I'll just hook him up to a tree when I get to camp. Actually I have a bit of rope that I tend to tie between two trees and a decent height so that he won't step on the leash but can also lay down and attach a small carabiner to his leash and the rope. basically a short backwoods runner while I set up my camp area. And Shelters never enter my mind when hiking with my dog/s. If it is empty sure but otherwise I try to keep him far away from people for the sake of their personal space. I'd rather deal with him pulling on the leash a bit (if he still has the energy) than with constantly having to keep a roving watch for what my dog is getting into or who he is bothering in camp.

Journal Entries

Journal Entries

Sorry about the tripple post, server was acting funny.

Thanks AAhiker for answering my question. I think I will be following your 'lead' and doing the same in camp, especially gauging the attitudes on here about dogs. Seems like a very biased sample of people though. I will be bringing a full, runaway proof shelter but in downpours am hoping to stay in designated AT shelters. Do you think this is a bad idea?

Images

I hike with one of three dogs I have. Emily, seen in the YouTube link below, is my best one. She obeys very well on the trail. I ALWAYS keep her leashed. Not because there is a 1% chance of her acting out in some way, but because I don't trust everyone on the trail. As a day hiker I always have a dog with me, always on leash; it is the law after all. It is also consideration of others. I didn't see anyone say anything about water sources. Without warning my one dog Maggie will lay down in a water source and much it up. If I was a hiker getting water I'd be pretty annoyed at that action. Keep in mind, if you are either day hiking, sectioning, or thru hiking with a dog be observant of your dog's actions. This means pooping off trail (mine do it naturally for some reason) and not relieving themselves near water sources. Always keep your dog on leash unless they are in your tent. People, not the dog, are ignorant when they allow their dog to wander around a shelter/camp area unleashed. I love dogs, but when I was in the 100 mile wilderness and one lady's five pound puppy was allowed to be 'cute' and wander around I didn't want its' little dirty feet on my sleeping bag. Other hikers SHOULD NOT have to ask for respect when it comes to others' pets. With that said, use an extension leash, a retractable one like I do. You never know when someone is going to come around a bend all of a sudden and startle both of you when you're both hiking and 'in the zone.' I always get my dog within two feet of me, lock in the leash with the slide button, and stand to the side unless the others hiking toward me have been considerate before I can offer the same consideration. Here is an example of hiking with a dog on the AT WITH A LEASH. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dspfu_KL_-4
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

I did not realize the low opinion of dogs on the trail until seeing this forum I will probably do a leash most of the time, but will let the dog run free occasionally. Around tent sites I see why it is important to keep them leashed at all times, and on the trail, but it needs to be fun for the dog sometimes. Maybe in long stretches of trail where I can see what is ahead a long ways. There are a lot of horror stories about retractable leashes so I will go with a fixed length, not sure how long. Too long, they are getting tangled, too short they can't stop and sniff if they want. Not sure?

Images

Horror stories about retractable leashes? What morons don't know how to use these? It isn't something you tie to a tree and walk away from, it is a tool that works very well in the hands of a human with a little common sense. LOL. Maybe try buying one, save the receipt, and go on a few day hikes with your dog. There really isn't a 'low' opinion of dogs on the trail, it is the dogs' owners who create the problems. Just keep your dog in check.
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

I hike with my dog often. I chose not to take him on my thruhike this year. I was able to have him along for several sections where I was supported by my wife. Taking a dog on an entire thruhike is a logistical nightmare IMO. I couldn't do it nor do I think it is something I would want to put my dog through.

One of my biggest pet peeves are thrus that abuse the "service dog" privilege.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I will be bringing a full, runaway proof shelter but in downpours am hoping to stay in designated AT shelters. Do you think this is a bad idea?
    Allowing your wet dog into a shelter is a sure way to get a lot of people pissed off. It's hard enough to keep a shelter floor clean and dry without a wet dog running around in it. And if anyone already has a sleeping bag laid out and the dog gets it wet, no telling how bad you'll get beat up. A dog must be kept out of a shelter period.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Allowing your wet dog into a shelter is a sure way to get a lot of people pissed off. It's hard enough to keep a shelter floor clean and dry without a wet dog running around in it. And if anyone already has a sleeping bag laid out and the dog gets it wet, no telling how bad you'll get beat up. A dog must be kept out of a shelter period.
    This X100

If you choose to bring your dog on the AT do NOT stay in AT shelters. Bring your own shelter and use it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    This X100

If you choose to bring your dog on the AT do NOT stay in AT shelters. Bring your own shelter and use it.
    X100 to both of you. Plus, remember, your dog is powering four legs, not two, and you are putting the poor pup through a lot of climbs (legs aren't as long). They probably burn a heck of a lot more energy than you do, plus they don't always know when enough is enough; though some will simply plop down and refuse to move. My recommendation as a past thru hiker, section hiker, and day hiker is to only take a dog out for a few days, maybe two overnights at most and don't use shelters unless your completely alone by 9p.m. Again, I love dogs...saved six of them and rehomed three. I will never take a dog on a thru hike nor on more than a few days hike. My Emily LOVES people and nature as I do, but remember, they aren't computers nor adult humans. Also, another insight, if the dog gets hurt can you carry it out to get help? If you get hurt will the rescue people be obliged to house the dog until you are better? There are a lot of things to consider. When I planned to section hike I took a lot of information of experienced hikers to heart and decided, as an educated person, I am hiking to get away; the best way to clear the mind and 'get away' is to limit your responsibilities; dogs are a huge responsibility.

~ John Muir ~

Images

"That's all for now but I thoroughly enjoy talking dog so feel free to message me and as more questions if you like what you have read so far. If not, please no negativity on this thread. I know no everyone will agree."

You post on a public thread then you only want comments from people that agree with you? Differing opinions are not necessarily "negative" comments.

You said in your post, "Know that your dog will never ever ever never be totally predictable." That is a good reason to keep a dog on a leash, ot keep it at home. I am not ant-dog, and don't want this to end up as yet another endless dog thread, but I have been biten, had my tent peed on and had my pack gnawed at by other hikers "good" dogs.

I think that most people take their dogs on long hikes because they are afraid to be out in the woods and think the dog will protect them from bears, bad people......If someone is too scared not to leave the dog at home, they should stay home too.

Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I had my dog along this year with me for the 800 miles I hiked on the AT from Georgia to Northern Virginia. The only issue I had was my fault. I had not worked enough on leash training my dog. We had a good system that worked out for us but not ideal. But it is something I have been working on since. We will be ready for our next thru-hike attempt in 2015.

I have read a lot on this forum before and after my thru attempt. None of it really helped. Lots of information from people who haven't hiked and lots of negativity towards dogs here. It is nothing like this on the trail. I met no one that had a problem with my dog. I did meet a person that told me they are scared of dogs, but that was only 1 person. So, when hiking around this person me and my dog would stay clear. Just be respectful.

We had no issues with hitches or shuttles. Had lots of people stop because they saw me with my dog.

We tended to stay in hotels while in town if the hostel did not allow dogs. More expensive but worth it to have a place to leave the dog while going to resupply or eat out. The only town I had any trouble in was Damascus, VA. To me it was the least dog friendly town on the part of the trial I hiked this year. The only reason I say this is because there was no place for us to stay. We ended up getting lucky. A bartender let us set up our tent on his lawn. Other than that in towns I would either leash him up outside a store or restaurant, or have a friend watch him when that was available to me.

I hardly ever stayed in shelters. Preferred my tent. I would stay in shelters when I knew the people and knew they didn't have a problem with my pup. I did stay in one shelter because of weather with my dog with people I had not met before. We got caught in a thunderstorm on Mount Rogers and it just worked out that we stayed in the shelter there to avoid the storm. Had no issues in the shelter with me or my dog being soaked...

I did have a backpack for my dog, the RuffWear Palisades. I sent it home from Neels Gap. Gave my dog raw spots where the harness rubbed on his stomach. I carried his food and gear the rest of the way. Will probably experiment with other packs and see what may work out. If I can't find a decent option I will continue to carry his food and gear.

I did keep him on leash most of the time. I would let him off when stopping to filter water, eat lunch, at camps not near shelters, and at shelters if I was with people we both knew and were friendly with. I really had no issues with people because of my dog. I think it is some myth propagated on WB. If it is there I have not seen it yet.

The one thing I will add to my dogs gear list is a good rain jacket. I was using thick trash-bags for this task and they wouldn't last long. I am getting one custom made. My dog is a border collie with long hair. When it rained he would be dripping. Not good at the end of the day for a wet dog to jump in your tent next to your sleeping bag. Plus in the colder temps when he was wet he would get really cold at night. I tried to avoid rain as much as possible when it was cold because of this. Something I would like to remedy for our next thru attempt.

I had a great time with my dog and the people I met this year on the trail. I am excited about getting out there with my dog again in 2015. If you have any specific questions let me know. I have a good handle on hiking on the AT for long distances with my dog and would be glad to help. I have done lots of hiking with him in NH and CO. He loves it and can kick my butt up and down the trail any day.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I hike with my dog often. I chose not to take him on my thruhike this year. I was able to have him along for several sections where I was supported by my wife. Taking a dog on an entire thruhike is a logistical nightmare IMO. I couldn't do it nor do I think it is something I would want to put my dog through.

One of my biggest pet peeves are thrus that abuse the "service dog" privilege.
    Chin Music, do describe to us the abuse of the service dog privilege. What are your qualifications for this judgment? Do you want us to hand over our protected medical records to you?

Yes, I am irritated.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Symba View Post
    X100 to both of you. Plus, remember, your dog is powering four legs, not two, and you are putting the poor pup through a lot of climbs (legs aren't as long). They probably burn a heck of a lot more energy than you do, plus they don't always know when enough is enough; though some will simply plop down and refuse to move. My recommendation as a past thru hiker, section hiker, and day hiker is to only take a dog out for a few days, maybe two overnights at most and don't use shelters unless your completely alone by 9p.m. Again, I love dogs...saved six of them and rehomed three. I will never take a dog on a thru hike nor on more than a few days hike. My Emily LOVES people and nature as I do, but remember, they aren't computers nor adult humans. Also, another insight, if the dog gets hurt can you carry it out to get help? If you get hurt will the rescue people be obliged to house the dog until you are better? There are a lot of things to consider. When I planned to section hike I took a lot of information of experienced hikers to heart and decided, as an educated person, I am hiking to get away; the best way to clear the mind and 'get away' is to limit your responsibilities; dogs are a huge responsibility.
    Well said, Symba, but, since it has already been brought up, that carefully trained service dog cannot be left behind.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Chin Music, do describe to us the abuse of the service dog privilege. What are your qualifications for this judgment? Do you want us to hand over our protected medical records to you?

Yes, I am irritated.
    Be irritated all you want. I have been told by the hikers themselves about how they are gaming the system. They had no remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by doobe01 View Post
    The only town I had any trouble in was Damascus, VA. To me it was the least dog friendly town on the part of the trial I hiked this year.
    I had my dog with me for a couple hundred miles on my thru this year when my wife brought him out. We would stay in a motel while they were out to visit. Even with a car motels were hard to find from NY into MA. Sometimes I would have to stay 40 miles away from my last trail head. When she came to visit me in ME I had her leave the dog with relatives.

From my experience your town issues with regards to dogs only gets worse as you head north.

Journal Entries

Be irritated all you want. I have been told by the hikers themselves about how they are gaming the system. They had no remorse.
    There are always the liars and the posers. What good did you think your remark would do for the hiking community, especially as published on Whiteblaze? I hope that you just had not thought through the consequences to those who are not "gaming the system."
    --Salaun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++