WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default How to hike with past knee injuries (?)

I've had multiple knee ligament reconstructions (same knee) when I was younger and am about 30 now, still very active, and have done a few 20 - 40 mile weekend backpacking trips without issue but want to step it up to 100 -120 miles in a week. I'm anxious that after 3 to 4 days my knee might start to swell and ache and put an end to my trip.

Does anyone with similar past injuries have any advice to lower risk of this happening, or maybe some preventative techniques before or while on the trail that they'd be willing to share?

I have a custom knee brace but it is heavy, bulky and I'm afraid it will eventually chafe. I purchased a compression sleeve and plan on using that.

I cant help, if I was in your place I would just get out there hiking and see how it goes.
    ps carry a light pac :-)

Images

I dont have any knee problems to the same extent as you, but I do have knees that seem to injure easily. My best advice is to carry a light pack weight and wear a shoe that is supportive. I think that the right shoe will definitley help with shock and impact. I've also try to strenghen other parts of my legs so my knees don't have to compensate for other parts of my body. I wear a brace/wrap that I bought at walmart and it seems to help me [ACE brand]. It has a sleeve sewn into the brace to minimize irritation to the skin.
    "Oops" NOBO Thru-hiker 2014

Going downhill is hard on knees. Hiking poles are your knees best friend. Having said that only you can tell what your body is doing after three or four days of hiking. If your knee starts to hurt or swell then slow down. Wear light boots or trail runners. Heavy boots tires the legs and puts strain on the knees. Like others have said " Carry a light load". If you've done 20-40 miles on the weekend with no problems then it seems your doing better than most of us weekend warriors.

I've blown out both knees multiple times. I know that I have torn ligaments in both knees, but so far, have refused to do surgery. I typically wear McDavid Level 3 neoprene braces with the PS II metal hinges on both knees anytime I am hiking or mountain biking. To control chafing, I've taken to using Body Glide generously on my knees...especially on the back of the knee where it rubs the most. I'ts proven to be very effective. If I am wearing the braces for multiple days, I make a point of rinsing them out really well every day or two. Salt crystal build-up will tear your skin up. I haven't found a good way to control the funky neoprene smell though....
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Maui Rhino, to get rid of the neoprene smell, there's some stuff kayakers and rafters and divers who use neoprene use, called Sink the Stink. My local dive shop carries little "pods" of the stuff for a couple of bucks. That pod thingie treats twenty gallons of water. I would think you could get an old eye dropper bottle and put some of that stuff in it, and then use a gallon ziplock of water to wash the brace, with a couple of drops of Sink the Stink in it, and it would take care of the smell problem. McNett also makes a product called Myrzime (which I probably spelled wrong). I haven't used it in a while, and don't remember how much you need. It might be quite comparable. The smell of funky neoprene is a lot like the smell of a wet dog that has rolled in something awful.

Images

In the past knee pain was what always made me leave the trail. Along with the advice already given, I would add: get on a physical therapy plan to strengthen the muscles around the knee ( and make sure your motion is in proper alinement).
    Seek, and you shall find.

Images

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to look into the neoprene braces. I swear by trekking poles especially with my knees...makes 10 miles seem like 5 on my knees. I'm getting myself into cardio/weight training program to strengthen my legs all around. I've been through years of physical therapy and pretty much have it down. I worry about the first 3-4 days because it'll take that long to get my trail legs. I've heard of people soaking their legs in a nearby stream (if available) after a day of hiking but have never tried it.

I'm curious to hear if there are any successful thru-hikers or long section hikers with previous knee ligament tears. I'm looking to thru at some point but want to test my knee on an extended trip. I always plan my hikes with the contingency that my knee could control my pace.

Images

Two knee surgeries--nothing beats a slow progression of leg weights to strengthen muscles. I found leg strength the most important fitness element for long distance hiking. If the muscles are strong, it takes significant pressure off the knee structures. Use light knee braces too. Also, use the climbing fitness program in this book, good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Sorry Koozy--one other thought--I took thirteen pounds out of my total pack weight - crucial-I have extensive U/L and lightweight gear lilts with weight s and costs-if interested, send me a pm with your email address,

The 5 mile downhill to the Nantalahala Center is a knee killer...... I have minor knee problems on my left side and without hiking poles I was almost crippled by the end. It's rough. I'd say do some leg strengthening exercises.

Images

Ditto the above advice--lighten your pack and your body weight as much as possible, use hiking poles, try braces, strengthen your quads and hamstrings, and experiment with shoes.

Knee pain was the flavor of my thru-hike. I was able to keep going by experimenting with, and changing, my gait. Born to Run has some info on gait which applies to walking as well as running. Eat and Run, by Scott Jurek. Chi Running--those folks have Chi Walking workshops around the country. The essence of all of them is to shorten your stride and avoid a hard heel strike. Just doing that markedly lessens my knee pain instantly.

Good luck!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I have an injury to my right knee, specifically the Patellar tendon; this all stems from an accident when I was very young, ~ 7 or 8, in which I stabbed the tendon while sliding down an antenna pole and a valve stem of a spigot, without a handle, was impaled under my knee cap. You can actually see the tendon inflame when I overwork it.

I don’t do any specialty exercises, per se, such as in this link. http://www.fix-knee-pain.com/injuries/patellar-tendonitis-knee-tendonitis/

Rather I just do old-fashioned weightlifting – all kinds to work all muscles/connective tissue in my legs; I’ve found that deep squats (butt to ground) really aggravated my tendon injury, but I was able to slowly build that area by keeping at it, not pushing it too much, but not stopping either.

There really is no gain without pain, however, you have to know that there are different types of pain, such as pain which is simple discomfort and pain that is your body telling you, “Hey bonehead you’re damaging things…” It takes time, but weightlifting along with the body’s amazing ability to heal itself is the key. And stay away from pills/NSAIDs; I’m pushing 50 and I’ve never included anti-inflammatory meds into my workout/recovery regimen.

I would also consider dropping the knee brace, because all that does is support things that should be naturally supported by your body, but it’s probably something you’ll want to wean yourself off of.

Also, a lot of people always mention reducing pack weight and using poles, especially for the downhills. That’s all fine, but if you can get to the point of doing single-leg squats with weight that goes far further in healing the knee than working on external equipment. Do what you want with your equipment, but if you want strong knees you gotta put in the work; poles and ultralite gear does nothing to build strong and healthy knees, they only accomodate weak knees.

++ New Posts ++