WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Need help with an upcoming hike

We are preparing for the Philmont hike in Cimarron, NM by doing several hikes with the next one being a trip on the AT 10/11 through 10/15 and we want to get in at least 40 miles. I personally have only been as far north as Neels Gap, GA but some of the adults want to venture into NC. Any suggestions as to where we could start and finish that would not be too much on the group? We are mostly intermediate hikers and some of the early sections in NC state they are strenuous. I'd really appreciate opinions. We are taking a van so we'll need shuttle help.

I just returned from Philmont earlier this week. Really enjoyed the backpacking there. And saw some really nice mule deer bucks, and a great bull elk. Dicks Creek Gap north into North Carolina and on to Winding Stair Gap is about 40 miles. It's a fun hike with the climb up Albert somewhat of a rock scramble. The first one going north. Last year I took my granddaughter (16 years old) and her boyfriend from Deep Gap to north of Winding Stair Gap, and then return to my car at Deep Gap. It was their first time backpacking, and they had no problems with the trek. The only problem they had was that it rained four of our five days out.
    Have a good time at Philmont.
    Scorpion GA Me 04

I agree with Scorpion, that section is not bad at all, as you are going to be doing the Standing Indian 'loop'. You will have a decent climb out of Bly Gap to Muskrat Shelter, but the rest of that hike is very enjoyable. The issue here is that it is quite a long way to drive around for shuttling.

The NC section that folks talk about being tough is from Winding Stair Gap to Fontana. A lot of 2000 ft climbs in that section.

If you are open to a little further of a drive initially, I would suggest the section from I-40 to Hot Springs, or Hot springs to Sams Gap.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

++ New Posts ++