WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hiking the PA Section

Hello All,

I'm new here and seeking some advice on hiking the PA section. This does require a little back story, so bear with me (or skip ahead). I am currently in grad school in CO but I am from PA and my parents live about 10-15 minutes from the Route 419 and Route 501 access points on the trail and about 40 minutes from Hawk Mountain (Berks County). I will finish my studies out here at the end of March and will have approximately two months at home before I ship out for Peace Corps. I've hiked out here in CO a bit (did an overnight on Mount Evans last fall, one of our "14ers") but am by no means a person who goes out every weekend to the mountains for a hike. That being said, I am active and bike ~15 miles a week for work and school. I've also done a few day hikes with the family dog along the AT near home.

Here's the question: I want to do a few sections of the AT in PA during the two months that I have at home. I am both ambitious in that I will want to finish the PA section when I return after 27 months in Uganda but I want this to be something which I enjoy and look back on with fondness, aka I don't want to kill myself doing it. Which sections do people recommend in PA in April/May? I'll probably start close to home and hike away, doing up to a week at a time. Gear is not an issue between what I'm accumulating for PC and what my brother and father will be able to loan to me. What scenic overlook or just scenic spots do people recommend for nice photos? I am hoping to capture a few to show off the AT and my home state to my Ugandan host family and friends in June. Are there any extra wildlife concerns at that time of year?

Thanks, and any advice beyond my questions is eagerly welcomed.

K

If you start at Port Clinton heading north to Rt.309,you will see both Pulpit Rock and The Pinnacle which are probably the best views in Pennsylvania.Whatever section you choose,I hope you have a great journey.

I enjoyed the southern section (MD to Duncanon) a lot more the northen end. There aren't any views to speak of on that streach (that I remember) but it was a pleasent walk in the woods.

I just wish they hadn't ruined the Cumberland valley crossing by taking it off the shady rural roads and making you hike through corn fields with no shade instead.

You could just go to the two views Liberty lover mensioned as day hikes.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 09-22-2013 at 20:41.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

You could do all of PA in less than a month. I did Harpers Ferry to High Point NJ in 28 days in 2011, and I am over 50 and out of shape!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I enjoyed the southern section (MD to Duncanon) a lot more the northen end. There aren't any views to speak of on that streach (that I remember) but it was a pleasent walk in the woods.

I just wish they hadn't ruined the Cumberland valley crossing by taking it off the shady rural roads and making you hike through corn fields with no shade instead.

You could just go to the two views Liberty lover mensioned as day hikes.
    FWIW the canopy's closed on a lot of the off-road route in the Cumberland Valley since I moved to PA in '98, mowing frequency has decreased in some areas due to lack of need. There are still a few scattered fields but the roads past those are open canopy too.

Also there are a few views in the South Mountain section in PA (i.e. south of Boiling Springs) but they tend to be on side trails, such as Pole Steeple or White Rocks Ridge. I tend to prefer that half of the A.T. in PA, as the rocks tend to have a more pleasing aesthetic quality more than annoying.

You might not want to limit yourself to the A.T. in PA either. The Standing Stone Trail http://www.hike-sst.org has interesting rocks and views surpassing PA's A.T. section. If that's not long enough for your week long hike you can extend it either south on Tuscarora Trail to about US 30, or north on Greenwood Spur then compass-north trail-south on and Mid State Trail http://www.hike-mst.org coming out in the State College area.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by liberty lover View Post
    If you start at Port Clinton heading north to Rt.309,you will see both Pulpit Rock and The Pinnacle which are probably the best views in Pennsylvania.Whatever section you choose,I hope you have a great journey.
    This has some fine views. The Knife's Edge is also interesting and the walk above Palmerton is beautiful in it's own way and a lot of fun to climb up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    You could do all of PA in less than a month. I did Harpers Ferry to High Point NJ in 28 days in 2011, and I am over 50 and out of shape!
    Doing all of PA in one month is completely doable, let alone 2. If you really want to do the whole section over 2 months, don't worry about it. Just start at either end and work your way down. That said, you will almost certainly wind up in either Maryland or New Jersey with some time to spare. If you want to see lakes, marshes and bears head to NJ (skeeter warning, they can be really bad in this section - not Maine bad, but bad). Or if you want a lovely but short jaunt through the woods, consider heading south through Maryland. Views are somewhat harder to come by but the terrain is mostly flat. And, if you still have time left over, you could try a bit of NY or end in Harper's Ferry which is fun to visit all by itself. Either way, it's a win so don't sweat it too much.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

North from 501 would be much more interesting (and difficult). The stretch from Swatara Gap south is not very difficult, but note that it is pretty isolated in the Swatara to Duncannon section -- might not be the best place for a shakedown hike.

++ New Posts ++