WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Black Bear

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

Default Black Bear

The more I learn about this wonderful creature (Black Bear) the more I like to see them in thewild you might like to check out this link http://www.friendsofwri.com/show-your-support-video to learn more about black bear. Hope you learn a lot about the black bear and enjoy them as much as I do.
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

Isn't it transformative when you switch lanes from a fearful, ignorant, and self centered based perspective to a knowledge, wisdom, respect, and place of coexistence(cooperation) based perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Isn't it transformative when you switch lanes from a fearful, ignorant, and self centered based perspective to a knowledge, wisdom, respect, and place of coexistence(cooperation) based perspective?
    Boy couldn't have said it better. I use to be one of those ignorant persons until I found this site nothing I had heard seem to be true. I would think if you run into a hungry black bear the circumstance might be quite different. Did you read the story about Aster the black bear how she acted after she had been shot yes she was cautious but not angry black bear. She still trusted the man who she had known all her life. Wished everyone wouldread all the data the WRI has collected over the years they might have different perspective of black bear. If you have not figured out by my raving I am fascinated by this big creature (black bear). Thanks for reading my raving.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Feathers View Post
    Boy couldn't have said it better. I use to be one of those ignorant persons until I found this site nothing I had heard seem to be true. I would think if you run into a hungry black bear the circumstance might be quite different. Did you read the story about Aster the black bear how she acted after she had been shot yes she was cautious but not angry black bear. She still trusted the man who she had known all her life. Wished everyone would read all the data the WRI has collected over the years they might have different perspective of black bear. If you have not figured out by my raving I am fascinated by this big creature (black bear). Thanks for reading my raving.
    Another site you might like North American Bear Center

A similar situation occurs with fearful, ignorant, and self centered humans in regard to humanity's relationship with wolves, sharks, snakes, bison, etc. Humans don't always act so brightly as they think they are.

Never have had a problem with black bear. Upon encountering I went my way and he/she went the other way. However, first encounters can be a little unnerving.

Journal Entries

People tend to demonize anything with sharp teeth or claws, especially so if it is larger than they are.

The only demon that roams the earth, is human.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-15-2013 at 20:24.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am having issues with the link... again with the bears...

Sorry I am soooo going there...

OK shuffles feet looks down a gasp ....and a huge apology to all WB fok... got the document to work... and I am on the fence...
    Rogers v MN DNR

Lynn Rogers filed a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) against the Minnesota DNR in the Ramsey District Court on July 23, 2013. The lawsuit asks the court to intervene and allow him to continue his research. Documents filed with the court are below. A hearing date has been set for July 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM CT.
    Summons and Complaint (Rogers v MN DNR)1.79 MB
    Defendants' Memorandum (Rogers v MN DNR)1.32 MB
    Rogers Reply Brief (Rogers v MN DNR)61.51 KB

Below is the Court Ordered issued by Judge Guthmann at the July 29, 2013 hearing.
    Court Order (Rogers v MN DNR)142.31 KB

Remember this guy from over a month ago... I have seen both sides... the govt is forcing him into retirement.

if you dig further ( sorry) for the politics the liberal scientists are vilifying this great guy
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 09-15-2013 at 21:03.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Chicken Feathers you did not do a lay up with your first post. This has been recently on NPR and other news organizations, its not a bad thing, just not presented well.

http://www.bear.org/website/introduc...nn-rogers.html

http://www.bearstudy.org/website/

Lynn Rogers, Ph.D.,

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 09-15-2013 at 21:24.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    A similar situation occurs with fearful, ignorant, and self centered humans in regard to humanity's relationship with wolves, sharks, snakes, bison, etc. Humans don't always act so brightly as they think they are.
    +100!! And a big AMEN!!!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

at one end of the spectrum is an irrational fear of any wildlife, at the other end is the alarming trend of trying to have a personal experience/relationship with wild animals. I grew up loving the show Nature, but have been appalled at the recent trend of "living with" documentaries, whatever animal it is. bears, even harmless black bear, are not cuddly teddy bears. Admire them, photograph them, talk to them, but don't pet them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Chicken Feathers you did not do a lay up with your first post. This has been recently on NPR and other news organizations, its not a bad thing, just not presented well.

http://www.bear.org/website/introduc...nn-rogers.html

http://www.bearstudy.org/website/

Lynn Rogers, Ph.D.,

Thanks Owl man I found this site in 2010 and have learned a lot about black bear. I guess the big thing is they are much more scared of us than we are of them

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I am having issues with the link... again with the bears...

Sorry I am soooo going there...

OK shuffles feet looks down a gasp ....and a huge apology to all WB fok... got the document to work... and I am on the fence...
    Rogers v MN DNR

Lynn Rogers filed a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) against the Minnesota DNR in the Ramsey District Court on July 23, 2013. The lawsuit asks the court to intervene and allow him to continue his research. Documents filed with the court are below. A hearing date has been set for July 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM CT.
    Summons and Complaint (Rogers v MN DNR)1.79 MB
    Defendants' Memorandum (Rogers v MN DNR)1.32 MB
    Rogers Reply Brief (Rogers v MN DNR)61.51 KB

Below is the Court Ordered issued by Judge Guthmann at the July 29, 2013 hearing.
    Court Order (Rogers v MN DNR)142.31 KB

Remember this guy from over a month ago... I have seen both sides... the govt is forcing him into retirement.

if you dig further ( sorry) for the politics the liberal scientists are vilifying this great guy
    They ( DNR) does not like it because he is trying to teach people that the black bear is not as bad as the DNR want you to believe you just have to be careful. I personally want to enjoy them from far but I do think that the black bear are more afraid of you than we are of them. I still want to keep my distance an enjoy them. Why do hunters shoot the radio collar bear. My opinion of that is like fishing in a bowl they stand out (black bear) because of the ribbons they put on the study bear you have to be a bad hunter to shoot one of these bears. I feel we need hunters I had rather a bear be shoot than starve to death because of the shortage of food but they do not have to wait until a stand out bear comes alone to shoot one go out and hunt and also I do not agree that they (hunters) should be able to bait for bears. Why does the DNR object to the video cam Dr. Rogers put in bear dens I think it is fascinating to see the video cam showing birth of a bear. Just my two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Feathers View Post
    They ( DNR) does not like it because he is trying to teach people that the black bear is not as bad as the DNR want you to believe you just have to be careful. I personally want to enjoy them from far but I do think that the black bear are more afraid of you than we are of them...
    Because then they become habituated and they lose their fear and that's what leads to problems. Black bears are wild and they are predators and they will prey on small children; they are not like dogs, which can be trained.

That picture may look "cute" to some, but when a whole mass of bears lose their fear of humans, as that one, then you got problems, because they will come into your camp and bully food from you and a host of other problems.

Agree with PF on this one. Observe and respect. Keep some distance. Let the bears stay wild. Human behavior, even when well intentioned, can have obverse negative affects on bear/human interactions. Now this bear is habituated to hang around humans. What might happen when a different human behaving a different way as Mr Lynn interacts with this bear? See any potential issue with that situation? You betcha.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Because then they become habituated and they lose their fear and that's what leads to problems. Black bears are wild and they are predators and they will prey on small children; they are not like dogs, which can be trained.

That picture may look "cute" to some, but when a whole mass of bears lose their fear of humans, as that one, then you got problems, because they will come into your camp and bully food from you and a host of other problems.
    A bear attack in Florida, which is a very rare thing for Florida. The details are very lacking, still trying to find info. They're not pets.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...0,605959.story This link is a little bit more detailed than the national news stories, which don't say much at all; however, there are still questions after reading the above link. (2 pages with a video link)

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    People tend to demonize anything with sharp teeth or claws, especially so if it is larger than they are.

Exactly...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Images

I never understood the irrational fear people have of black bears. But I guess I am different... I don't fear alligators either. I went alligator hunting once and the worst thing that happened was a drunk killed my best friend on the way there. Fear REAL dangers and respect POSSIBLE dangers.

This is NOT about fear of bears. It's about understanding that they are wild animals and they are not to be habituated, contrary to what the link in the OP states, this will lead to major problems in the big picture. I am not afraid of bears, if you look in my gallery (pic below) you will see a pic of a bear that was not afraid of me and actually huffed and stomped his front pawls on the ground; he wasn't naturally fearful of me like most bears. I didn't run and wasn't concerned for my safety, but because it wasn't afraid of me it presents a hazard, especially to children. That's just a fact of life, they are predators, despite being omnivorous.

Dogs are man's best friend, not wolves and that's largely because we've bred a lot of wildness out of them; bears have not had the wildness bred out of them. The idea that you can just hang around bears and pet them like they're overgrown dogs is simply naive.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

COUNTERPOINT: We are the descendants of those early humans who were not eaten.
    There is likely a genetic component - an ingrained fear of large predators with sharp teeth and claws - that combines with an environmental component/cultural legacy that causes "modern" people to still, perhaps to a fault, fear bears and lions and sharks and . . .
    Recognizing the nature of our fears and putting them in perspective can be difficult, especially when we wander from our civilized environment and more onto "their turf". It is still a healthy perspective as a human to have enough fear to avoid confrontations with large animals with sharp teeth. Bear, moose, big cats, alligators, etc. are not animals you want to mess around with, because physically you have about zero chance of prevailing should the worst occur.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++