WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Class of 1971

Default Class of 1971

Anybody out there from 1971? There were 22 people who did the trail that year. I was the last one to finish on Ocober14. David Odell

Quote Originally Posted by alaskadave View Post
    Anybody out there from 1971? There were 22 people who did the trail that year. I was the last one to finish on Ocober14. David Odell
    Alaska Dave sorry i can't help you find your friends
    just wanted to say congrats on the hike,would of been cool to see the trail back in the day!
    again congrats :-)

Hi Dave.

I almost feel like I know you since you were so prominently mentioned in Leitzell's account of his hike.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by CrumbSnatcher. There was a discussion years ago on Trailplace about the pro's and con's of a thru hike back when you did yours. Almost everyone thot that such a hike would be a miserable experience because of the absence of the current social scene and they would not want to do a thru back then. I disagree. While the social scene has some definite advantages, I too wish that I could have experienced what you did back in the day.

Journal Entries
    Images

I was going to send you a link to a journal from 1971. But turns out it was yours.

Journal Entries
    Images

Congratz!!! Are you contemplating doing it again??
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Hi Dave.

I almost feel like I know you since you were so prominently mentioned in Leitzell's account of his hike.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by CrumbSnatcher. There was a discussion years ago on Trailplace about the pro's and con's of a thru hike back when you did yours. Almost everyone thot that such a hike would be a miserable experience because of the absence of the current social scene and they would not want to do a thru back then. I disagree. While the social scene has some definite advantages, I too wish that I could have experienced what you did back in the day.
    I agree. Would be cool to do it back in the day with little "social scene" However I believe the CDT is just that opportunity to do so, before it gets too popular and crowded.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    There was a discussion years ago on Trailplace about the pro's and con's of a thru hike back when you did yours.
    I think a hike in 1971 would be very interesting for sure.

I think the only way to create that experience now is to do some of the more obscure trails (Allegheny Traiil, Cohos, Grand Enchantment) and so on.

Even the CDT has a small bit of trail culture now, esp where it coincides with the Colorado Trail.

Have to find that journal Rick mentioned.

And, Dave, welcome!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

++ New Posts ++