WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Background on GSMNP closing to dogs, real history on the reasons.

I am curious, and I know someone here must know. Why is this section closed to dogs?

Not interested in theories, I can come up with plenty of them... Nor the anti-dog-on-trail crowd, thanks.

When was GSMNP closed to dogs? What specific problems caused this? Most significantly, what (if any) input might be helpful in a decision to reverse it?

Thanks in advance,
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Journal Entries

The reasons listed can be found here:
    http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    The reasons listed can be found here:
    http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/pets.htm
    Thanks for the link.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

GSMNP is closed to dogs basically because it is a National Park.

I don't know why, but the link Starchild provided is coming up pretty much empty at the moment. For anyone else experiencing similar problems, here is a similar page at a "National Parks" level.

Given the reasons cited on the park web site, you'll never get them to reverse the no dog policy. Good thing too, if we had to deal with both over crowded shelters AND thier dogs, it would be unbareable.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

As for getting it reversed, it is well demonstrated that AT Thru hikers get special privileges and this includes legal ones - including at this very park. I think your best shot, and I'm not really for dogs on trails, would be to argue, state the case that you are not visiting the park, but traversing a public byway.

Journal Entries
    Images

dogs 2 them scare&cause chaos with wildlife. yet horses on the trail in gsmnp cause more damage 2 the trail than any other thing around cept nature,get my drift

Images

I'm a dog lover, I have three Mountain Curs I saved from a local shelter. With that said, I was pretty annoyed that I saw a dog every day in the 100 mile wilderness in Maine on the AT. Governor Baxter donated all that land with one specific rule that states 'no dogs.' No dogs because they were not originally natural to the area and they also scare off wild life. When I did that section over a week ago with a new found friend I was in my glory. It was spectacular to be in such a natural setting. I went there without a dog; but found some people don't follow by the laws and if they can get away with it they will. Rules aren't made to be broken, society today seems to think so. These people all violated my right to a peaceful environment. They may have caused a negative effect on my experience in Baxter park. Dogs mark areas, use sent glands and urine, the trail may have become an area other animals would avoid due to this. No matter how big or small the dog it happens naturally when the animal is introduced to the environment. Baxter wanted to avoid this issue and keep it as natural as possible. (then again I may have also lost my mind out there since I did hear Indian Chanting when I was alone in certain parts of the trail, that will never go away in my head, I still hear it and find it may have been a spiritual happenstance that helped me get through a rough hike). Love the trail, follow the rules for the greater good and not the 'I' mentality of living; we are all connected. Godspeed my friends. ~Dr. R.
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Symba View Post
    I'm a dog lover, I have three Mountain Curs I saved from a local shelter. With that said, I was pretty annoyed that I saw a dog every day in the 100 mile wilderness in Maine on the AT. Governor Baxter donated all that land with one specific rule that states 'no dogs.' No dogs because they were not originally natural to the area and they also scare off wild life. When I did that section over a week ago with a new found friend I was in my glory. It was spectacular to be in such a natural setting. I went there without a dog; but found some people don't follow by the laws and if they can get away with it they will. Rules aren't made to be broken, society today seems to think so. These people all violated my right to a peaceful environment. They may have caused a negative effect on my experience in Baxter park. Dogs mark areas, use sent glands and urine, the trail may have become an area other animals would avoid due to this. No matter how big or small the dog it happens naturally when the animal is introduced to the environment. Baxter wanted to avoid this issue and keep it as natural as possible. (then again I may have also lost my mind out there since I did hear Indian Chanting when I was alone in certain parts of the trail, that will never go away in my head, I still hear it and find it may have been a spiritual happenstance that helped me get through a rough hike). Love the trail, follow the rules for the greater good and not the 'I' mentality of living; we are all connected. Godspeed my friends. ~Dr. R.
    I believe dogs are allowed in the 100 mile wilderness, but not in Baxter State Park - different area, different rules and laws.

Images

My bad, your completely correct there, I am off tilt as of lately. Where the hell am I? LOL.Either way, my point is in the post.
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

are parrots allowed? arrrrrrgh I like to hike like the pirates, with a bird on my shoulder

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    are parrots allowed? arrrrrrgh I like to hike like the pirates, with a bird on my shoulder
    A messenger bird would be pretty cool!

~ John Muir ~

The GSMNP is closed to dogs because they HARRASE the wild life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe only "Norwegian" parrots are permitted on certain sections of the AT.

Starchild's NP link, which came up for me, about sums it up. NPs are places that were designed for humans(and man's best friend) to be visitors in another's home keeping in context the often wilderness settings that exist there.

dog poop is toxic to the birds, they eat the dog poop and it kills them
    the horses are grandfathered in
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 09-13-2013 at 23:10.

i don't care if i'm wrong or not, i just remember a park ranger telling me that when i was in the park without my dog and i happened to ask the ranger why no dogs?
    i hope you get your answer :-)

Images

A few years ago, I observed a chow like dog take down a yearling deer in Cades Cove in the Smokies. We were in disbelief at first and too far away to drive it off when we realized what was happening. After driving back to a ranger station, a ranger immediately followed use back to the site and the dog moved away. I am not sure of the outcome for the dog, but the deer died.

Images

Would hiking with a coyote or wolf be allowed?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++