WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting to points south from North Troy VT

I'm sure this has been covered before here, but I'll kick it around again. What are the best options for getting back to points south such as Burlington, VT from Journeys' End up around North Troy VT? Steve Merrill is listed in the Guide book for shuttles from North Troy. Anyone have any other suggestions, bus service near North Troy, etc? I'm looking for a ride back around 9/24. tia

My info is dated(as I last thrued the LT SOBO in 2007) but public bus service( or public transportation) to North Troy or any town within 35 miles or so of it didn't exist in 07. The only options I could think of getting to Journey's End was getting dropped off or hitching from Mt Pelier(although regional buses can get you further north from here)i or getting a shuttler. I took Greyhound into Mt Pelier, stayed there that night(I stealth camped), took two different bus lines further north, and then hitched the rest of the way to the LT northern terminus. I recall my first day hiking well. I left Mt Pelier at 10 a/m. after eating b-fast and was at Journey's End by 1 p.m. VT, in the vicinity of the LT, IMHO, is one of the friendliest places to hitchhike. I actually got about 4 different rides to get from where the furthest northern traveling bus left me off to North Troy. 3 of those hitches involved Native full time Vermonters seeing me with my backpack and coming up to me to offer me rides when I wasn't even hitchhiking. Native Vermonters know about their beloved LT and when they see a obvious backpacker it's been my experience that they will stop to help or strike up a conversation about what you're doing just to offer some assistance.

Not much going on around North Troy. There are definately more cows then people in that part of the state. A lot more cows then people. Call the shuttle guy or hitch, those are your two options.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Getting to the U.S. border town of N. Troy isn't the end of the getting to the northern terminus story either. It's a several mile improved gravel roadwalk to the TH. But, there's a shelter(cabin) right there at the TH and then the first LT shelter isn't that far into the LT hike. The U.S. Border Patrol stopped me as I walked on that road twice to check me out. There are some homes on this road though. I wound up walking the whole thing though.

There is a restaurant in NTroy where you might want to stop to chat up some locals that might be willing to take you to Journeys End. There was a small market too. BUT AGAIN, that was 2007.

Anyone aware of alternatives to Steve? Having some trouble getting ahold of him.
    I was planning on public transportation up to St Albans, but work, family, and time commitments have made things a bit trickier so I don't have as much time to fart my way up to Journey's end. I can still fall back on that plan but looking to speed things up with a shuttle.

I can go to Burlington or Montpellier- hoping to shuttle from there and save a day.
    I will be in Vermont early next week- any help or suggestions?

edit-802-434-2533 is the number I have for Steve, email is [email protected]
    If anyone has a different number or e-mail to use that would help

Thanks
    Last edited by Just Bill; 09-11-2013 at 09:29.

After my e2e hike in 2010 I stayed at the North Troy Inn. One of the owners was working in Burlington at the time. I rode w/ him to work in the morning & then hitched back to my car that was parked in North Adams. It worked out VERY well.
    "Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

"Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

It makes sense for you JustBill to head into St Albans since you're coming from the Windy City. In the End to End LT guide and possibly on the LT site you'll find shuttlers that will take you from St Albans to the northern terminus. It's either that or hitch from what I know. Enjoy your hike, my friend.

Thanks guys- Quick update for any future travelers-
    North Troy Inn- super nice folks- who don't shuttle. That said- As mentioned- the owner does still work in Burlington and does offer a ride there from the Inn (at 3:30 AM when he leaves for work), occasionally he does take folks back too- but call to confirm as that could change anytime. They will give you a ride back and forth to Journey's end with a stay if you go when they are free.
    Steve- still shuttling- but he does jams and jelly's so he's fairly unreachable during harvest time (now). Even if you get ahold of him chances are slim he's free this time of year.

John Selmer- he is based out of Rutland- but does do Burlington or Montpelier to Journey's End- ballpark quote was $150 for Montpelier to Journey's End. I'm going with John.

You can easily work your way up the bus system to St. Albans- in my case though the greyhound's in would have left me burning a day because of the bus schedule- not a bad place to get stuck for a day- just ran out of day's personally. If I had the time I would recommend saving the shuttle money and blowing it stuck in town...maybe next time.

Hitting the trail midweek (bout 18th)- sounds like they'll be a crowd out there and I may catch some color! Can't wait to be in the Northwoods again.

Just Bill, Had a good evening and may your sobo have clear skys. Dogger

++ New Posts ++