WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Only experience is with Dutch's Chameleon. I sleep like a baby in a modified side-sleeper position!!
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Dream Hammocks Raven. Couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 11-02-2018 at 12:01.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Dutchwaregear.com side zip Hexon 1.0 Not quite as comfortable as their Argon 1.6 but it has an integrated bug net and weighs in at around 13 oz.I also like my WBBB 1.1DL but it is just too heavy;ditto my Hennessy Expedition.

I wish you would include system weights . Not counting top or under quilt .

thom

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I wish you would include system weights . Not counting top or under quilt .

thom
    As an example, I have a Chameleon, 11' length 58" width, Hexon 1.0, with asym winter top cover, which with 2x 12' Venom straps weighs about 530 grams. Using J-bend to connect to hammock continuous loops, so no hardware necessary.

I have DH Darien 10-footers (64" width) in 1.7 and 1.2 Robic and can give you exact weights on those, as well as a couple of HG DCF tarps with guy line weights included. Also no hardware... if you use Lawson's Glowire or Statline, you can do all rigging with knots/hitches/bends. And it doesn't require nearly as much rigging and doo-dads as a lot of hangers employ.

I am going to update my preference.. Since posting above, I have made two DIY 11' hammocks...

One in 1.6 Hyper D with a fully removable zippered bug net using DIY modular zippers.

One in 1.2 Robic, with a Dutch Half Wit style bug net in 0.5 noseeum.. a UL option for sure.

The 1.6 is unquestionably more comfortable but I love the Robic and having a sub-10 oz rig for when going long, light and fast.

I have a Warbonnet Ridge runner and will buy a Blackbird XLC double for the extra space and comfort.

sorry for the double post so I delete.
    Last edited by Five Tango; 12-25-2018 at 09:28. Reason: double post

Images

I have a "Grizz Bridge" totally satisfied. would buy again, great customer service!

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I have a "Grizz Bridge" totally satisfied. would buy again, great customer service!
    I thought the grizz bridge was a diy only hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I started with a Byer of Maine "Moskito Kakoon" that I bought on sale for $29. Used it for a couple of short trips. Figured out that I loved hanging but realized there was much better stuff out there. Bought a WBBB XLC and like it a lot. My son uses a Warbonnet Eldorado double layer (1.7 I think). My wife just bought a WB Eldorado single layer.

Currently using an 11’ Simply Light Designs Streamliner made of 1.0 oz Robic. The hammock alone is less than 8 oz.

Many of the hammocks mentioned recently didn't exist when the thread was started. My personal favorite, the Wildernes Logics Lite Owl, can no longer be purchased new.

Warbonnet Blackbird and Superfly tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    I started with a Byer of Maine "Moskito Kakoon" that I bought on sale for $29. Used it for a couple of short trips. Figured out that I loved hanging but realized there was much better stuff out there. Bought a WBBB XLC and like it a lot. My son uses a Warbonnet Eldorado double layer (1.7 I think). My wife just bought a WB Eldorado single layer.
    . I started with Byers Moskito Teaveler. When it deposited me on the ground many miles from the nearest road head I upgraded. It was a decent hammock while it lasted, but nowhere near as nice as my Dream Hammock.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I am going to update my preference.. Since posting above, I have made two DIY 11' hammocks...

One in 1.6 Hyper D with a fully removable zippered bug net using DIY modular zippers.

One in 1.2 Robic, with a Dutch Half Wit style bug net in 0.5 noseeum.. a UL option for sure.

The 1.6 is unquestionably more comfortable but I love the Robic and having a sub-10 oz rig for when going long, light and fast.

Time to update my response again...

Recently completed an 11' gathered end hammock in 1.0 Monolite, with dynaglide CLs and a removable half wit style bug net that can be fitted to the 1.6 Hyper D as well. I really like the Monolite.. far more supportive than one expects it to be.. really comfortable. Complete, in a DCF stuff sack it is 8oz on the button. Bonus is being able to see through it. Nice to see what going on behind the wall of fabric and great to be able to see the position of the UQ. Just recv'd another order of 1.6 Hyper D and will be making another with the shorter (lighter) zippers.

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Time to update my response again...

Recently completed an 11' gathered end hammock in 1.0 Monolite, with dynaglide CLs and a removable half wit style bug net that can be fitted to the 1.6 Hyper D as well. I really like the Monolite.. far more supportive than one expects it to be.. really comfortable. Complete, in a DCF stuff sack it is 8oz on the button. Bonus is being able to see through it. Nice to see what going on behind the wall of fabric and great to be able to see the position of the UQ. Just recv'd another order of 1.6 Hyper D and will be making another with the shorter (lighter) zippers.
    Jealous of that 8 ounces part.
    Not sure I could stand the bugs with a half wit style bugnet. How do you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    Jealous of that 8 ounces part.
    Not sure I could stand the bugs with a half wit style bugnet. How do you find it?
    If you have something over your legs, then there is no issue at all. The bug net seals well against the loft of a TQ, even if the quilt is only on your legs. When it gets really warm, a silk TQ, treated with permetherin is sufficient. Hammock is treated with permetherin at the foot end as well, as is the bug net itself.

Dutchware Chameleon 1.0 Hexon with symmetrical top cover and whoopies.

Simply Light Designs Trail Lair in 1.1 with whoopies. Love the 15.7 oz weight but a bit redundant with the Chameleon now.. Debating with myself about selling this one. So comfortable and light.

Warbonnet Blackbird XL Doubled-Layer 1.1. Not the lightest in the world, but the double-layer provides protection from the 'skeeters. I started with a single layer Hennessy which was OK and good to start with, but the mosquitoes ate me up during a week long trip in July. Double-layer solved that problem. I also have a single layer 1.6 Dutch ware hammock with the knotty mod that I love for Winter trips.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++