WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Surely There's a Good Way to Use Coconut Oil?

I feel like coconut oil is a great potential ingredient to use for cooking in the outdoors. It's high in saturated fat so lots of calories, and it's a solid at room temperature so it will travel well, unlike other similar fats like olive oil or butter. But about the only thing I cook coconut oil with at home is fish, which isn't exactly a dish that does well in the bush.

Any thoughts about potential recipes I could try?
    Backpacking Talk - One backpacker encounters another backpacker in the woods. He says, "So there's this site called Backpacking Talk." The other backpacker replies, " ...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
    Surely There's a Good Way to Use Coconut Oil?
    It has some 'personal' uses (just keep it away from latex).

Journal Entries

Good topping for popcorn (once liquified), and popcorn is not hard to make, even in a jetboil (youtube jetboil popcorn).

I have fried eggs in it at home and used it sometimes where the addition of butter is called for.

Takes some experimenting.

We cook with it a lot. It is liquid above around 78-80 degrees. Could be added to any pasta meal. Melt some and toss it with GORP or trail mix. It's very good eaten plain with a piece of chocolate.

^ I believe one recent thru-hiker talked about dipping Cliff bars in coconut oil, saying it tastes like an ice-cream sundae. I can't seem to shake this idea...

I use it with any veggies where I'm seasoning with curry, cinnamon, nutmeg or including sweeter additions like fruit or carrots. There's no appreciable taste in any meal where there are multiple flavors like a stew or soup.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

It's LOADED with good fat calories. Also can be used as a moisturizer for chapped lips or dried skin.
    We are all one big human family.

Not knocking coconut oil, but for clarity - all vegetable oils have essentially the same calorie content. Coconut oil contains mostly saturated fat which gives it a solid at room temperature whereas corn/peanut/canola/olive oil contains mostly unsaturated fat, which makes them liquids at room temperature.

Images

I use coconut oil in everything at home. I only use olive oil occasionally now. I cook with it for veggies, popcorn, fish, chicken, eggs, you name it. I use it to "grease" pans when cooking and also my food dehydrator trays. I put a heaping teaspoon of it in my coffee every morning (with honey, no more straight sugar). I put it in my hair for a conditioner, I shave with it, I use it as a moisturizer, and I put it on blemishes and cuts (it's anti-bacterial). In addition to all of that, my cats LOVE it, they go nuts for it. One of them waits for me, crying, when I'm in the shower because he knows he gets some after I'm done.

I buy it by the gallon--organic, unrefined, cold-pressed. I can't imagine being without it on the trail.
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

I use it almost exclusively for cooking now. It fits in with a lot of diet plans too if that's your thing (dairy free, vegetarian, vegan, paleo, etc). It doesn't have an overly nutty taste and can add some great flavor boost to food. As has already been mentioned, it's full of good fats and supposedly has antibacterial and anti-microbial properties. I use is on my dry skin during the winter. My dog loves it too.
    Cash Crate - it's not hiking but it helps make pocket change.

Images

I hadn't considered the non-eating uses like dry skin and chapped lips, that's great. I like the popcorn idea (I remember reading somewhere that movie popcorn was popped with coconut oil originally) and the idea of adding strong spices to it too. I'd never considered it before but it would probably work great in something like a curry, which often gets coconut milk added to it.
    Backpacking Talk - One backpacker encounters another backpacker in the woods. He says, "So there's this site called Backpacking Talk." The other backpacker replies, " ...

I have used coconut oil as the main fat in a Hudson Bay "Bread" trail bar recipe. Was delicious.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I cut back water and add coconut milk for white rice. Adds gread flavor and lots of great energy.

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    It's LOADED with good fat calories. Also can be used as a moisturizer for chapped lips or dried skin.
    Good fat? That is a bit of a stretch. Coconut oil is considered to be slightly better than butter, which isn't saying much.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/does...clog-arteries/

However, my daughter is allergic to milk and eggs and my wife makes some pretty good cupcakes for her birthdays using coconut oil.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Good fat? That is a bit of a stretch. Coconut oil is considered to be slightly better than butter, which isn't saying much.
    It's not the best fat for you, but it's not the worst either, or even second worst (trans-fats being an obvious least good for you contender). It's also no worse for you than carbs, and packs a lot more calories per gram: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturat...se_controversy

Saturated fat is a good fat? LOL

Try dried coconut milk, coconut flakes, and shredded coconut. The larger flakes don't get caught in your throat as some of the very dry finely shredded stuff(if it's been sitting around). I don't buy coconut with added sugar or propylene glycol which many of the large grocery stores carry. It's sweet enough without added sugar and really can do without anti-freeze in my food. Buy flakes and shredded coconut from bulk bins from reputable sources that routinely move product. It's cheap. Make your trail bars or trail cookies with it. I make a healthier version of coconut macaroons I take to the trail. Trader Joes makes a very tasty Roasted Coconut Flake in small packages that I've picked up for $1.50 each. Coconut in various forms has been an addition to my trail foods for quite awhile. Lots of fat without the trans fats(hydrogenated fats). It is, however, a saturated fat so when at home I ratchet down my use. For at home use try Edo's Brand Oils. They are of excellent quality. Of course, on cooler weather hikes you can buy the solid bar of coconut oil for use on trail. It's flavor is remarkable when added to oatmeal, Caribbean rice and beans, trail mixes etc .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Saturated fat is a good fat? LOL
    One finding from the research on saturated fat (it comes up a couple times on the page I linked to) is that there is no health benefit to replacing saturated fat with carbs or starchy foods. In other words, carbs and saturated fats are about equal when it comes to your health. So if you think saturated fats are bad for you and you avoid eating them, I'd seriously reconsider the loaf of bread you probably have somewhere on your kitchen counter

Thanks for the tip Dogwood, I think coconut flakes in oatmeal would be rather tasty.

+1 on coconut in oatmeal. I use Bob's Red Mill coconut flakes. We switched to coconut sugar in my house as well- is it really better- who knows, but when I need some sugar might as well get a little extra out of it. Coconut oil is next on my list to play with- Matt Kirk and Anish both used it. Eating and moisturizing on both accounts I believe. Carries better than olive oil and Matt was the one who recommended the DQ blizzard style dip mentioned above.

To answer the op question- When I get some I'll be trying some coconut curry rice. My understanding is that you toast the rice (or any grain) in the oil for a bit, then add minimal water to cook the rice, add some veggies and sunflower seeds to round out the meal. Quinoa would work too, and I think coconut and Chinese five spice would be good. Coconut and mint would also make a great cold grain (Tabuleh style) based dish for hot days.

Edit- I understand Trader Joe's has the best deal, good mix of quality and price.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
    is that there is no health benefit to replacing saturated fat with carbs or starchy foods.
    What does that have to do with anything?

Saturated and trans fats = BAD

Poly and mono fats = GOOD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++