WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

The "see this now" articles and local hikes near you are the main gems, if you can find them.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries

They did a DIY alcohol stove in their mag. earlier this year. I agree that everything is expensive. It's like anything else: We're here for the advertizers. That means 300.00 jackets, 150.00 stoves and VERY expensive tents. I don't know of any magazine out there. Here's wht I usually do: I subscribe for a given amount of issues, then stop for a few years. Nothing really changes. They have not come out with much of anything new except the new water resistant down. Do we really need a 500.00 tent to survive?

Images

its just walkin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    The "see this now" articles and local hikes near you are the main gems, if you can find them.
    you need a gps. they use waypoints instead of page numbers

Images

Still looking for that 'Outdoor Youth Organization' that wants a 90% complete 38 year old Backpacker/Wilderness Camping magazine collection. Backbone of a great 'Troop Library'

Dogwood, I didn't know there was a BPer-bashing bandwagon. I thought I was the only one, How do I get on the bandwagon? Will it cost me $300? Also, I know you speak with authority because you use lots of CAPITAL LETTERS and exclamation marks!!!!

You honestly don't know what you're talking about when you say things like this in referring to BP's content: "If I was a new hiker, I would draw two conclusions about backpacking from their magazine: First, backpacking is extremely expensive; every piece of gear or clothing costs at least $300, regardless of what it is or what it does."

and

"....I agree that everything is expensive. It's like anything else: We're here for the advertizers. That means 300.00 jackets, 150.00 stoves and VERY expensive tents.,,,, Nothing really changes. They have not come out with much of anything new except the new water resistant down. Do we really need a 500.00 tent to survive?

BS. While what's expensive can be relative to the individual, BP has "Best Bargain", "Cheap Deal", "Killer Deal", etc gear recommendations WELL UNDER the prices your exaggerating about, as well as other money saving tips/alternatives. I would like to see them expand their content on lower priced gear options and DIY gear topics though. Don't you think that voicing your concerns DIRECTLY to BP would be more constructive input being part of positively influencing the direction of the content of the mag?

Before you say something as if its so absolute about the mag go to their website and do a "Cheap(inexpensive) Rain/Wind Jacket" or "Bargain Backpacking Stove Deals" search and see what they come up with! You're may be more likely to find some useful recommendations.

American Alpine Journal (AAJ) is what brings goosebumps to my skin page after page, especially some of their older editions.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    Dogwood, I didn't know there was a BPer-bashing bandwagon. I thought I was the only one, How do I get on the bandwagon? Will it cost me $300? Also, I know you speak with authority because you use lots of CAPITAL LETTERS and exclamation marks!!!!
    Say what you want about me but get it right of you're going to condemn. No doubt, there's room for improvement in BP, but YOU(as in capital letters) said, "every piece of gear or clothing they recommend is at least $300." Ridiculous unfounded exaggeration.

Here's just one article that Karen Hosttetler refers to in BP about rain jackets that all cost around $100. While none BP directly talks about itself is in the Frogg Togg price range nevertheless a reader weighed in on it. You can get advice that way too.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask_kristin/277

[QUOTE=Game Warden;1524200]Dogwood, I know you speak with authority because you use lots of CAPITAL LETTERS and exclamation marks!!!![/QUOTE ]

*@%875%, &%**&, @!#$*^%!

LOL, It's not meant to be authoritative just emphatic!!!!!

I don't currently subscribe to it, though I do peruse it on the news stand...if I see something I like and have to have, I buy it. I did subscribe for about two years, than let it slip away to other interests. I'm sure I'll subscribe again, but I limit myself to one mag subscription a year...this is not backpackers year. I think it's a pretty good mag, and I usually find something in it that makes it worth my time.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    LOL, It's not meant to be authoritative just emphatic!!!!!
    I thought you were the pontificator? I'm starting to lose track of all your nicknames.

At any rate, to the original OP: If you think hiking can be an expensive sport, try skydiving.
    We are all one big human family.

Images

I view Backpacker the same as the National Enquirer. I'll read a copy for grins and giggles if I find one laying around but there's no way I'm gonna pay for that crap.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Speak of the Devil, a copy just came in the mail and I didn't re-subscribe, it's a good read for the john, or at least look at the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    If you think hiking can be an expensive sport, try skydiving.
    My son got into skydiving and called his Mom all excited about buying a used parachute for $5000 (?), told her it was a great deal and only had a few bad rips that needed patching...had her convinced...guess torturing mother is part of a kids job description.

I think the best light-weght, minimal equipment information is in Hustler.(If it's still published.)

I haven't subscribed to Backpacker for several years because it started to read like the Conde Nast travel magazine. It seems lately they've become a clone of their former co-magazine, Bicycling. Better known as Buy-cyling. It seems that moving to Boulder hasn't changed that rag but only made them worse.

Default Backpacker Magazine

I have subscribed for years as an AHS member. They started adding some more Eastern hikes after the mag moved west but they talk about all the same old places for the most part. They would do well to get more editorial ideas from their own forums to freshen things up a bit.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    TG looks good, but I want a print magazine. I spend all day looking at puter screens as it is, even though I am a "professional" outdoorsman. Also a print mag reaches out to you when you pull it out of your mailbox. It reminds you that you are not a chairborne ranger, even if you are at that moment. An online mag waits for you to come to it, when you're already in the zone. It lacks the palpability and immediacy of print.

GW a couple of years back I would have agreed with you - then I find out from written story to print for most mags is 6 months... have you considered Kindle? Over last weekend I was down at the shore and had a three hour drive home ... I didn't have my favorite mag or kindle book.... so I sucked it off the cloud onto my smart phone... its always at your fingertips..
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++