WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

There is a woman in CA with a YouTube Channel who carries about 40 lbs (including a bear can and SPOT) for 50 to 200+ miles and 2-3 weeks at a time and seems to enjoy it just fine. http://www.youtube.com/user/LandmarkAdventures/videos

I'd be crying after 10 mins carrying 39 lbs and crippled after a couple of hours. But we are all different. She's in her 30's and 5'8". Me, I'm in my 50's and might be 5'1.5" on a good day... in the morning.

Her Desolation Wilderness and Tahoe to Yosemite videos are entertaining. Her 2 person tent review totally reminds me of my sister as she describes what she needs/wants in a tent. Me... I carry a tarp with some bug net sewn on it.
    Last edited by DLP; 08-31-2013 at 12:31.

I read somewhere, (probably here on whiteblaze) that you can be comfortable while you hike or comfortable while you camp. Which one do you prefer? Because it might not be possible to have both, especially at first. You decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Korn View Post
    The bear spray.....more people have said that I don't need it than the people that have said I do. I get that my dog can and will defend me against a bear and other dangerous things on the trail. I would still feel safer with it than without it.
    Yes I have a jet boil. I will leave the wind screen at home too! It could be a GSI cook set, it was a friends that had used it a few times before me and the logo is gone. Just carrying the 1 pot and a cup from that, not the full 5 piece set.
    I have bug spray and a net that covers my head.
    First aid kit is for both me and my dog. I will add Benadryl as well. I have a dog medical spray that I think is basically super glue that I was going to take as well 1oz bottle. This may be a silly question, but is there a specific super glue to use that works good and is not toxic?
    I like having the quickness of the hand sanitizer 1oz bottle but it will dry me out after two days so I take the small size camp suds to wash with at camp.
    I think that clears up the parts you had confusion about!
    Yes it does clear up my confusion. As for the bear spray, if it gives you peace of mind, take it. Something I forgot to mention is that you'll want to go to Walmart and get a spray bottle of Sawyer's Permathrin to spray on your clothes and bugnet. This will keep the bugs off completely.

Superglue is non toxic so any brand will be OK.

I agree also with those who suggested a long weekend of hiking farther north so that you can get a feel for how well what you have is going to work. Also, since no-one mentioned it, Eureka is indeed a good brand, they just tend to be on the heavier side. Ebay, Amazon and Craigslist can be your friend, and if you PM me with you remail I can send you some links to some of the lightweight gear makers. A warning though...all this lightweight stuff can cost $$$, so son't worry about going super light for now. And since only a couple have mentioned this, I agree that you shouldn't get rid of anything you have. See what works for you and what doesn't before investing in anything else. The worst mistake you can make is to start getting gear because you think you'll need it, or it's much lighter than something you already have. If you haven't already read it, there's a great post by Sgt. Rock on here about gearing up and hiking for newbies. Although it's a bit out of date as far as gear goes, it still has some great suggestions as well as advice on what to take and where to get it from.

You're going to be OK for this trip, and you're pack will be lighter than you think once you get going.
    "Take only pictures; leave only footprints." -- Anonymous

“The contented person enjoys the scenery of a detour.” - Unknown

I would like to clear up that I am planning this hike for the last week of September. NOT February. I know I'm not ready for that with what I have.
    So I purchased the Eureka tent! This takes another 6# off my pack weight! (My ozark trail tent was very heavy and did not come with a rain fly, so I was using a tarp, which added to the already heavy weight) I am now at a very comfortable 33#. This is a 10# weight difference from when I posted this thread. I am so thankful for all the advice!
    I have also been experimenting with more nutritious foods foods my dog. He will eat anything I give him. I am switching out his wet food and replacing them with gravy packets, can't remember who gave this advice, but it is great! I have noticed that the better dog food recommends feeding them less of it, which means less weight per serving! I'm going with 1 and 1/2 what they say for serving size to give him the extra energy he needs and it seems to be doing good. I think I ,at post in the dog specific forum about his food and making sure he has enough.
    I just want to say again how thankful I am for everyone's advice. Everyone's concerns about me and my dogs pack weights have been heart warming! So, thanks again

Woo hooo and congrats on the work you did to reduce pack weight.

Have a great trip and report back and let us know how it went!

Denise

Go Baltimore Bombers!

Good job! One thing I forgot to mention about the Permathrin is that if you use it, you have to really soak your gear and let it air dry. It probably won't help with mosquitoes, but will definitely kill ticks and other pests. Good walking, safe journey, and leave a trip report when you get back!
    "Take only pictures; leave only footprints." -- Anonymous

“The contented person enjoys the scenery of a detour.” - Unknown

Journal Entries

not too bad.
    Way to go.
    Now go have fun!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++