WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

CK....I'm new to this forum, but have hiked many a mile and when I read your OP, my first thought was "You're humpin' too much s**t troop!" 39 - 40 lbs is waaay too heavy to be packing through the mountains in any weather. I'm +1 on all who said ditch the chair, bear vault, goal zero solar power charger, 32oz. Nalgene bottles, and the wind screen ( you can't use one with a canister stove unless the can sits outside the windscreen). Get rid of the Goal Zero and carry extra batteries. Their lighter and the GZ doesn't really work that well when it isn't consistently exposed to sunshine. (I know, I have one, and it's never worked as glowingly as the GZ folks hype it to). I'd keep one of Duke's bowls. Instead of the 32oz. Nalgenes, I'd get a couple of 1L Smartwater (or equivalent) bottles, and/or a 2L water bladder. You can use the Smartwaters not only for drinking water on the trail, but also in camp, and they weigh a lot less than the Nalgenes do. The bladder will afford you fewer water stops, as well as filtered water (presuming you used your filter to fill it) once you've stopped to camp.

I know you're on a limited budget, but if you save some $$ and look on Ebay you can find far lighter 2 person tents than that OT behemoth. In fact, I've got a 1 person tent that weighs only 3lbs and you could shelter Duke if need be by a $10 5x7 tarp (Wally World camping section). I don't see if you're using trekking poles (also not very $$ @ Wally World) which can be used to help setup the tarp. Look online and get some Aloksak Opsacs. These are odor barrier bags that come in various sizes and alleviate the bear canister need. You can replace the chair with any of these (all of which are lighter than the Crazy Creek):

http://www.rei.com/product/765283/rei-trail-stool http://www.rei.com/product/845302/rei-sit-pad http://www.rei.com/product/829881/th...est-z-seat-pad http://www.rei.com/product/829895/th...kker-chair-kit (this one is designed to use with your sleep pad as its support)

NEVER EVER REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF FOOD YOU'RE TAKING UNLESS STOPPING FOR RESUPPLY. I can't emphasize that enough. Always carry one meal more than you htink you're going to need. There are tons of available resources (right here on this forum I'm sure) that can tell you where the shelters are and where you can resupply. Max Patch is right: Duke will eat way more on the trail. I know you've been training, but as has been said, walking in the relatively flat, humid, warm climate and terrain of FL is way different once you've gotten to the AT and you're starting out on top (mostly) of a mountain. It's a whole lot of up and down. (Duke won't need the booties either).

One last thing.....invest in some emergency duct tape (made by SOL or McNett) and a little travel sewing kit. Crap happens and you can fix almost anything with duct tape.
    I don't think you've made any kind of mistake in your training. Just in your gear selection. If finances don't allow it, then you've got to go with what you've got. Just keep in mind that ~40 pounds is going to seem a chore after about the first day and a half of mountain trail walking.

Another thing that comes to mind is have you seam sealed your tent? Did you get the Frogg Toggs ultralite rain suit? If so, buy the poncho as well. Leave the pack cover at home. Not that there's anything wrong with a pack cover. They're great if you're going to use them at night to cover the pack, but when it rains and you're wearing the pack, water will run down the straps and onto/into your pack. The poncho will cover both you and your pack. (of course you could always go with one of these : http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P8...nt=22056985244
    )
    So, take all this for what it's worth, use what you want, ignore the rest and have a good hike! Let us know how you're doing when you're on the trail.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Korn View Post
    As far as his pack weight, I am going by 3 different books, talking with his vet, and tons of online research saying that up to 1/3 of the dogs weight is fine for his pack. It's not cruel nor is it abuse. If you read the entire post, you would see that we have been training for long hikes doing 2-3 day hikes. The term "nice guy" is also a very loosely defined these days. I am new to hiking the AT and open and welcoming to advice, but personal digs are not necessary.

The same authorities will tell you its OK for a persons pack to be 30% of their bodyweight.

Maybe on flat ground for 2 miles, but definitely not in the mountains for 100 miles.

That would be 60 lbs for a 180 lb person.

Trust me, it aint so. And it wont be without effects.

Cut it in half.

Its about enjoying yourself out there, not suffering with every step.

Neels gap is easily made in 2-3 days by persons with light packs.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-29-2013 at 20:35.

As far as his pack weight, I am going by 3 different books, talking with his vet, and tons of online research saying that up to 1/3 of the dogs weight is fine for his pack. It's not cruel nor is it abuse. If you read the entire post, you would see that we have been training for long hikes doing 2-3 day hikes. The term "nice guy" is also a very loosely defined these days. I am new to hiking the AT and open and welcoming to advice, but personal digs are not necessary.
    Sorry, being blunt and to the point comes off as harsh, when I just wish you and your dog the best. Yes, I read the whole thing and was shocked when you spoke of the weights.

Just because your dog can carry 1/3d its weight doesn't mean it should. So you read he can carry 20+ pounds so thats what you load him up with, eh?

Thankfully, your not going out for very long or very far and you have to suffer before you learn. And learning can be painful, dispite all the advice you get before hand. Posting the gear list was a good start and you got some good suggestions so far. Now do a ton of research on how to make that load 20-25 pounds for you and 10 pounds for the dog. You asked for my thoughts, so there they are.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

FWIW IMO Ozark tents are for kids & people at a campground, pretty much junk. If you happen to get some high winds or a lot of rain you and all your gear will be wet. You need a real tent at least something from Kelty , Eureka or other good quality. Also better tents may have a warranty in case of needed repair. Be prepared to spend 100-200$.....

A couple of things. I think the overall idea here is to travel as light as you can, while staying in your comfort level. If you'd have a higher comfort level, using the SPOT, and the bear vault, use them, though,I would agree with most that they are unnecessary, or at least unnecessary for me when I hike.
    Being from a coastal area myself, the advice is pretty sound that there is a big difference between hiking where you are at and hiking in N.Georgia. Having said that, you sound as though you are in good shape, and although you'll feel it going up Sassafras Mt., you should be fine.
    With the dog, keep in mind that the trail is pretty rocky in parts, and can be tough on a Dog's paws, keep the pack weight as low as possible for it as well.
    A big +1 on the hiking poles as well!

Images

I'd like to make a suggestion about your dog's lead. While places that require a lead usually call for a 6 footer, there are many situations on the trail where you'll need, or want, a different length. My wife and I have been hiking with dogs for years, including just under 900 miles on the AT in sections, and find it very useful to have something called a Flexi-lead. It's an adjustable length lead that you can lock at any length. Sometimes you'll want it short and sometimes long. We put the handle through our belt so that we don't have to constantly have to hold it but can get our hands on it in an instant. Oh, the only time our dog is off lead is when we're in our tent. I know a flexi-lead is heavier than what you have planned but I believe it's worth it. Also, you might want to replace your Nalgene bottles with quart gator aide bottle to save a bunch of weigh. Also, one dog bowl will do.

Updated list from suggestions made here and more research.
    Big items:
    - Kelty Red Cloud 80women's
    -kelty 20degree women's sleeping bag
    -Ozark Trail 3season 2 person tent with foot print and tarp for rain fly Looking for new one but have to wait on pay check for this and only have 100$ to spend.
    -sea to Summit pack cover
    -thermorest self inflating sleeping pad
    -crazy creek chair Leaving this at home
    -katadyn hiker pro water filter
    -bear spray
    -bear vault
    -goal zero solar power charger
    -2 32oz. Nalgene bottles Switching 1 of these to a large smart water bottle.
    -Spot GPS tracker
    Cook Bag:
    -Jetboil stove kit
    -GSP Outdoor cook pot, bowl, cup Took out the bowl.
    -wind screen
    -spork
    - bandana
    Clothing:
    -Rain Wear Bag- Frogg Toggs Rain Suit - Ourdoor Reaserch Short length gaiters
    -Separate clothes bag -2 underwear/ 1 on me, 1 packed
    -3 pairs socks/ 1 on me, 2 packed
    -2 convertible pants/ 1on me, 1 packed Just the pair I'm wearing now.
    -2 convertible shirts/ 1 on me, 1 packed Just the one I'm wearing now.
    -1 bandana
    -fleece packed
    -2 sports bras/ 1 on me, 1 packed Just the one I'm wearing now.
    -baseball cap on me
    -Salomon Women's Hiking Boots
    -Keen Sandles for camp Switched for lighter flip flops
    Personals Bag:
    --everything in separate ziploc baggies- bug spray with deet
    -Sunscreen
    -Camps Suds 3oz.
    - travel toothbrush
    -travel toothpaste
    -hand sanitizer
    -1 roll portable toilet paper
    -2empty ziplocks for waste
    -30ft rope Switching to parachute cord
    Handy Bag:
    - basic Swiss aArmy knife
    -energizer head lamp Looking for a lighter one for less than 20$.
    -foldable shovel Going to use one of my tent stakes for this and leave the shovel at home.
    -sea to summit insect shield
    First aid: 4-3x1 bandages, 2-2x6 bandages, 1 small roll stretch wrap, 2 alcohol pads, 2 doses aspirin, 2 doses ibprophen, 2sting relief pads, 1 small roll medical tape, 1 neosprorin on the go, 1 small roll duck tape, water proof matches, water tablets, emergency whistle Adding 10 more aspirin and a little more duct tape.
    My Dogs Pack:
    -rain cover for him
    -pack cover
    -chuck it travel bed
    -ruff wear dog boot
    -2 6ft leads, 1 on him, 1 back up Just taking one and gonna use the parachute cord as back up.
    - 2 32oz. Nalgene bottles Switched to 2 large smart water bottles.
    -2 portable food/ water bowls Just taking one bowl now.
    - sea to summit insect shield
    -odor resistant bags for food
    Our Food:
    we are stopping at Neels Gap and I'm giving us 6 days to get there. Have decided that the trip to Neels gap to re supply is 4-5 days. Carrying enough for 5 days.
    His---
    - 1 packet of wet food per day/6packets 5
    -2 cups dry food per day/ 12 cups 10
    -3 biskit/bones per day--18 15
    - 3 pieces of jerky a day--1 pack jerky
    My Food---
    -Breakfast: -combination of eggs and grits/oatmeal/granola
    -dehydrated eggs and bacon-3bags=6 meal with supplement 2 bags
    -oatmeal and grits- 6oatmeal 3grits=6 meal supplements 4oatmeal/ 2 grits
    -dehydrated milk and granola- 1pack=4 meal supplements
    -Lunch:
    -peanut butter and jelly on tortilla- 12oz peanut butter/8 indivitual jelly packets/5 tortillas 5packets/4 tortillas
    - tuna and crackers- 2 packets of tuna/ 1 sleeve crackers 1 pack tuna/ 1/2 sleeve crackers
    -Dinner:- dehydrated meal and meat
    - dehydrated meals- chilli Mac, beef stroganoff, chicken Alfredo/ 3 packages=6 meals 2 packs
    - pepperoni and beef jerky- 1 package of pepperoni, 1 package of jerky=6 meals
    -Snacks: - gorp ( m&m, honey roasted peanuts, raisins, pretzels)
    - chewy granola bars- 10 cliff and natures valley bars 8
    - fruit leathers- 10 assorted fflavored 8
    -cinnamon roasted almonds and walnuts
    -Extra Food Stuff-- 6 tablespoons protein powder, 6 iced tea packets, 6 coffe packets, 6 emergenC, salt and pepper, 3 hot chocolate, 12 packets honey

I have seen some really good deals on light weight tarp tents on whiteblaze and BPL lately. I would keep an eye on those sites and you can shave a few pounds (and get a much better tent-safer) for $100-$150. I second what others have said about the dog pack weight. I also have an American Pit Bull Terrier that I have done winter hikes with and this is what I Bring:

Rei pack
    fleece
    sleeping pad (cut down to dog size -I carry)
    one collapsible bowl - for food and wwaters
    a pack or two of gravey mix- pour on dry food and add water
    Tennis ball- he's a freak and wants to play ball at camp - away from others
    Dog food
    blanket

make sure everything is evenly distributed in the pack.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I have seen some really good deals on light weight tarp tents on whiteblaze and BPL lately. I would keep an eye on those sites and you can shave a few pounds (and get a much better tent-safer) for $100-$150
    This would certainly be worth checking out...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=81362

I did not post the updated weights with my updated list. My pack is down to 39# and my dogs pack is down to 17#. For me, this is amazing! I appreciate everyone's concern with our pack weights. I found a Eureka Tambu 2 for less than 100$ as well! I have read that Eureka is a good brand, and this tent is 4 pounds lighter than my current tent system. Is the Tambu 2 durable enough for the AT?

I'm an old dude, so I hike slowly ... and did the Springer to Neel Gap last June ... four days is plenty of time. If you tent camp near shelters, there are bear cables at shelters. None at Lance Creek, if you stay there. I passed a female humping 45 lbs last June ... she was in shape, but not having a good time. Listen to everyone's opinion and overlook the digs ... then consider everything and hike your own hike. Take notes so you can remember stuff after your hike. Mostly you'll have fun even though your feet will pain you some. Good luck!

Images

Stair stepper with a fully loaded pack is great prep.

Trust WB responses, go a LOT lighter, its more about what NOT to take. I have been a high as 52 pounds, insane, frigid late winter hike, last was 28 pounds with food and water. A MUCH better way to go.............bring too much and by the 2nd big UP you will be sorry for all of the extra stuff you packed.

If you can splurge for an extra $50, REI Outlet has a Big Agnes Fairview 1 on sale for $150. It weighs a little less than the Eureka and I think you'll be happier with it.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

You're on the way! But, I'm confused about a few things.

First, you really, really, really won't need the bear spray. You have a DOG with you. Black bears are opportunistic when it comes to food and will not enter a camp where they can't smell food that's been cooked, or where there is a dog. In addition to that, Duke is not going to idly stand by while you get out your spray and prepare to use it. The recommended distance for effectiveness is 16 - 25 feet. Trust me, Duke will warn you waaaay ahead of time of anything he feels is potentially dangerous and that includes other hikers. Seriously...leave it home. You will not need it. You will need to keep a tight control of Duke. your best bear deterent is Duke.

Second, your cook setup has me confused. You say you've got a Jetboil stove and a GSP (did you mean GSI?) cookset. Although I suppose you can make the stove work with any cook pot, you absolutley should NOT use a windscreen with a canister. It will overheat the canister itself and that could be dangerous. Unless the windscreen was the plastic one the JB Helios uses. That one at least has some spacing top and bottom to allow for heat venting. But again, the stoves were designed to work with the accompanying pot which has a heat exchanger on the bottom that acts as its own windscreen. If it isn't the Jetboil one, then I strongly recommend you leave that at home too.

Third, I'm confused as to why you have both bug spray AND a bug suit (I'm presuming it's the suit and not one of the bug nets). If you have one, you don't really need the other. Unless you're talking about the head net. In that case, carry on. I'm not sure you'll still need either one in September, but better safe than sorry.

I didn't look closely at your FAK (First Aid Kit), but now that I do: remove: 1 gauze pad (2x6), Ibuprofen, 1 sting relief pad, 1 alcohol pad. If you have aspirin,you won't need Ibuprofen. I would replace bandaids with superglue, and the Ibuprofen with 4x2 tabs of benedryl. Superglue will close minor cuts and benedryl will not only help with allergies, but with anaphelatic shock in the case of a severe allergy you don't know you have. Add a small piece of moleskin for blisters if they develop. (2x2" will be fine) Also add 2 burn pads or burn cream. What I learned in survival school ws that CSSBB were the primary issues with trekking through the woods. What's CSSBB? Cuts, Scrapes, Scratches, Blisters, and Burns. These are the most common medical problems you'll encounter. Antibiotic ointment/cream/liquid is enough for scrapes and scratches. For cuts, if it's not too deep, superglue it. If it bleeds, blot it, antibitoic it and superglue it. Blisters and burns can be covered by burn cream (this also works for scrapes as that's what a scrape is) and moleskin to cover it.

One last thing, although it doesn't weigh a lot, you should consider that if you take Campsuds, you won't need the hand sanitizer and vice versa. You can use the HS to wash your pot with sans water as it's full of alcohol (which is why you can use it as a firestarter).

You're doing good in what you've considered. One other thing to think of is if you weigh some of the absolutely NON-essential items (go on REI.com and look at what they consider the 10 essentials. It's a pretty good list. You'll find it under the Learn tab. look closely adn you'll see a link to over 350 articles on various things.), then, you can take enough money with you to mail them home once you get to a resupply or town. Or, you could just become a trail angel and gift it to someone who does need whatever it is.
    "Take only pictures; leave only footprints." -- Anonymous

“The contented person enjoys the scenery of a detour.” - Unknown

The bear spray.....more people have said that I don't need it than the people that have said I do. I get that my dog can and will defend me against a bear and other dangerous things on the trail. I would still feel safer with it than without it.
    Yes I have a jet boil. I will leave the wind screen at home too! It could be a GSI cook set, it was a friends that had used it a few times before me and the logo is gone. Just carrying the 1 pot and a cup from that, not the full 5 piece set.
    I have bug spray and a net that covers my head.
    First aid kit is for both me and my dog. I will add Benadryl as well. I have a dog medical spray that I think is basically super glue that I was going to take as well 1oz bottle. This may be a silly question, but is there a specific super glue to use that works good and is not toxic?
    I like having the quickness of the hand sanitizer 1oz bottle but it will dry me out after two days so I take the small size camp suds to wash with at camp.
    I think that clears up the parts you had confusion about!

Two requests: 1. Can you clarify "fleece packed"? Do you have a warm hat?
    2. After you have hiked the 100 miles can you check back and tell us how your pack changed? What worked for you? What you will never carry again? Something that you wished you had? I'd love to hear.

I have been training here in Florida since mid March and doing 2-3 nights on the longest trails I can find here that also offer primitive campsites.
    If you have been out for 2-3 nights, I'm thinking, maybe everything you carry works for you? My sister and I carry very different things. She carries about 10 lbs more stuff than I, but she LOVES her stuff and it works for her.

I threw away underpants and tent poles first dumpster I came to. Threw more things away in the next trash can I came to.

It is said that people pack their fears... And I also carry a SPOT and a bear canister. I don't carry bear spray because I fear that I will spray myself. All of my stuff (with the bear can, and minus food and water) adds up to about 14 lbs. I'd say that looking at your posts... you have a fear of being chair-less, since you are willing to lug the bear can in order to have something to sit on.

I have a terrible, terrible fear of blisters. Some of our fears are irrational, and some are very rational. I had terrible, terrible blisters after my first 100 miles - for the first time ever! Like you, I had gone on many over night trips or day hikes of 20 miles and NEVER got a blister. This is me, but for 6 days, I'd take about 36 ibuprofen. And two rolls of Nexcare tape (my foot/blister tape of choice). I also take 6 pairs of very thin socks (1 oz each) and a second pair of Super Feet (one pair in my shoes, one pair drying).

I fear a backpack that weighs more than 20 lbs. But rather than project my fears all over you... just check back and let us know what you will carry to the ends of the earth and the stuff that you won't carry one more step!

PS... I agree with everybody else. In theory, I (or my dog) can carry 1/4 to 1/3 of my weight. But the reality of doing so, is something else.
    It is kind of like sleeping bag temps. You probably won't DIE in a bag rated 20 degrees. But you may not sleep well or be comfortable. You may be just on the verge of being safe. You and your dog may not DIE carrying that weight, but you/dog may be at risk for injuries carrying 1/4 or 1/3 your weight. Carrying 1/5th or 1/10th your weight is SOOOO much comfortable - at least while walking. But not as comfortable while sitting, perhaps.

My dog can and will defend me against a bear and other dangerous things on the trail.
    If your dog is off leash and encounters a bear... it is possible your dog will come running back to you with the bear following it. Rather than protecting you, your dog may aggravate a bear and bring it to you! With no dog, you probably would mostly never encounter a bear.

But seeing how you are going out in Feb, you probably will have no bear encounters dog or no dog.

Good video on bear safety: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs--kv_iGeA

This first trip on the trail will be a real eye opener for you. You have shaved some weight from your pack and that will help. You have done your homework and asked a bunch of questions and taken some advice. This is all good and you have done better than most new hikers. Your next section will be so different. Your pack will be quite a bit lighter. Your state of exhaustion at the end of each day will be much less and you will be far happier. The truth is that you still have about 20 pounds of stuff that you don’t need and won’t even use. We all wish that we could impart this to you now but it will be one of those things you will have to learn on your own.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I would definitely want to get some other gear for a long distance hike. Much of the main gear you list is too heavy or won't last a long distance trek or bad weather. And misery out there will send you home quicker than anything. 110 miles in the GA mountains lugging all this will indeed be misery. I would perhaps do shorter miles over a long weekend with the gear you have, then begin to change out as finances allow. But for sure you must get another tent. The one you have will leak in the first major rain.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Keep working on "weeding out" things you don't need. Your pack still needs to lighten up. Trust us, you are going to suffer on those uphills with a heavy pack.

This is a little thing, but I mention it because it happened to me: I used to use the waterproof matches. I say "use" but "take" is more accurate. When I tried to "use" them they would break when I tried to strike them or blow out before I could light my stove. I had enough of that quickly. Take a lighter. I take two (in case of a loss or failure). Been a lot happier with the results there.

Also - maybe think about a liner for your sleeping bag to add warmth. It is going to be colder than you think in the mountains, and since you are coming from FL, I don't think you realize this. Don't recommend Feb. because you may well be hiking in a lot of snow (poor doggie!) and temps at night could be in the teens. Been there, done that, went home early with mild frostbite.

Wish you (and you little dog too) a safe, wonderful trip! ;-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++