WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Question Forcast for Smokies this weekend / next week?

Gatlinburg looks like it will be warm and wet this weekend, cooler and drier during the week. How does this translate to the trail, if at all? I have the sophiaknows link, which seems to be offline at the moment.

I think I posted this is another thread too, but you can check the current and future weather for any mountain in the range here - http://www.mountain-forecast.com/pea...forecasts/2025 You are close enough that it has the weather for this weekend already. Just plug in the different mountains along the route if you want to get an idea as you get further away from Clingmans Dome.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DandT40 View Post
    I think I posted this is another thread too, but you can check the current and future weather for any mountain in the range here - http://www.mountain-forecast.com/pea...forecasts/2025 You are close enough that it has the weather for this weekend already. Just plug in the different mountains along the route if you want to get an idea as you get further away from Clingmans Dome.
    I don't understand how to read that. How can the high and low temps be the same?

I have no idea. It's never been like that before, but I see what you are saying. That's just crazy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DandT40 View Post
    I have no idea. It's never been like that before, but I see what you are saying. That's just crazy!
    So I should just prepare for a few days of sensory deprivation...

I'm betting on 50's at night and 60-70 in the day? These will change as I hike lower in altitude. Oh yeah, from what I gather from other's experiences in the Smokys, I'll be rained on at some point during my hike.

Images

in the valley of knoxville---we're suppose to have one of the warmest weekends of the year.....close to the 90's....

but, up in the mountains it will be a bunch cooler...

this past weekend i was at 5500 feet in the nantahala and it got quite chilly at night......

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha_Ace View Post
    Gatlinburg looks like it will be warm and wet this weekend, cooler and drier during the week. How does this translate to the trail, if at all? I have the sophiaknows link, which seems to be offline at the moment.
    In regards to temps, I note the elevs for where the temps(day time highs/lows) are reported and if in the mountains subtract 3* for each additional 1000 ft gain. Gat is at 1300 ft. Do the math.

I've been following the forecast too. I don't know what to believe. The temperatures at higher elevations are predicted to be the same as in the valleys. Does not make much sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by redseal:1522137
    I've been following the forecast too. I don't know what to believe. The temperatures at higher elevations are predicted to be the same as in the valleys. Does not make much sense to me.
    An inversion? Or the website is messed up?

++ New Posts ++