WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GPS or Compass

Default GPS or Compass

Is there a need in either one, or is the trail easy enough to follow? I have never carried a GPS and I have hiked a ridiculous amount of miles. The compass has been handy a few times, but mostly out west. Thoughts?

To me it's foolish not to carry a compass when your in the back country. Even without a map if you get off trail and can see a landmark (distant Mt. peak?) you need that compass to navigate to is. If this has never happened to you then you may not realize how many times you loose site of the mountain.

Compass, for sure. GPS are nice, but batteries run out.

No more than a compass weighs, whether a lapel or a mapping compass it can become quite handy on those days where the sun is hiding. I personally prefer a compass, over a virtual one on a "device", no batteries needed when you need it the most. As Moytoy stated you shoot a point then step away and you can no longer see your point but can still go the right direction with a compass.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Having hiked the BMT if I had to pick I'd grab the GPX files from hikinghq.net and take my GPS. You don't have to have it on all the time.

A good portion of the BMT is blazed as good as the AT and pretty much the entire trail is just as well maintained.

The wilderness areas aren't blazed and the GPS would be useful there. Then when you get to GSMNP you can very easily use the $1 park map to get through the park.

Most of the time I could not get a signal for my GPS. Also much heaver than a compass. Now I carry only a compass and a map.

Pertaining to the BMT(that's the forum folks!), for the GA portion/section you're doing from Springer Mt to the Ocoee River at HWY 64 IF you have the National Geographic Trails Illustrated Springer/Cohutta Wilderness map(it outlines the BMT) and the GA BMT Handbook, and the trail blazes and signage you'd be good in Sept. No need for a compass or GPS. The trail is marked and well signed.

My compass is no different than my tent, light, sleeping bag etc. etc. I got my first one with my powder horn when I was about 6. A Davy Crockett I believe.

Default GPS or Compass

A compass it is but my north points south.

Default GPS or Compass

I just hope this trail doesn't suck like the Bertram Trail. Of course, even then it was nice to be in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Seldomseen View Post
    A compass it is but my north points south.
    Don't store your compass near metal, such as you knife or pot. I've had the same problem with the needle changing polarity. I ALWAYS check the polarity before disappearing into the woods. The Georgia section is easy to follow, all except the road walk north of Cherry log, but I would still carry a map. WHY CARY A MAP ON A CLEARLY MARKED TRAIL? A map will give you some ideas where a road or civilization might be should you get hurt or otherwise need to cut corners to get off the trail. The BMT is designed to be a wilderness trail. It will take you around civilization, not through it. But, you'll be closer to civilization than you think.
    If you faint in the face of adversity then your faith is indeed small--Solomon

Default GPS or Compass

I was amazed at all the people on the Foothills trail without a map.

Good advice.

Always carry a compass. In fact, they are so light, I carry two in case one get's lost or damaged. GPS units can die. A compass doesn't depend on batteries or charge. And remember, a good compass never lies.
    "To take risks is to live, to be always safe and secure is certain death" - Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seldomseen View Post
    I just hope this trail doesn't suck like the Bertram Trail. Of course, even then it was nice to be in the woods.
    how did the trail suck??
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Using a compass put us in some good company. Lewis and Clark Compass - Smithsonian-

Sure, batteries go dead and electronics break... but a GPS is still superior for getting a fix for exactly where you are than a map and compass - in the hands of 99% of the population.

What you do not want to do is take just a map and compass if you don't know how to use them. You can get out your map and compass and stare at it but that's not going to tell you where you are. Turn on your GPS and within a few seconds you know exactly where you are.

I think a map and GPS are superior to map and compass - heresy I know.... When you get your GPS fix you can then find that fix on a map and know exactly where you are.

Concerns about batteries dying and GPS breaking are overblown - electronics are reliable enough for trail travel in the very populated eastern USA and you only need to turn on your GPS to find out where you are. A set of batteries would last many days doing this.
    Last edited by 10-K; 08-27-2013 at 07:56.

Feeling frisky this morning I guess..

Having said all of the above - a GPS and map/compass are 2 different tools. For serious navigation it's not "either or" - it's "both and".

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Feeling frisky this morning I guess..

Having said all of the above - a GPS and map/compass are 2 different tools. For serious navigation it's not "either or" - it's "both and".
    Spot on

There is no need for either GPS or a compass if you are hiking the AT.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    There is no need for either GPS or a compass if you are hiking the AT.
    Provided that you're paying attention.

Sometimes hikers realize that they're no longer hiking the AT... and don't quite recall when they left it.

Then again, I'm not positive that a compass would help in that situation. Those who have the necessary skills to become unlost with the aid of map and compass are seldom lost in the first place.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++