WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GPS or Compass

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    There is no need for either GPS or a compass if you are hiking the AT.
    I will say this.. The AT is the perfect place to practice using a map and compass. If you have a map you can almost always locate about where you are and when you get a good view it's a great way to learn locating yourself via triangulation.

That way you can learn to trust yourself so you'll be confident if you ever are forced to figure out where you are because you're lost.

That's my theory anyway... I've never been that kind of lost.

If you stay on a trail you're never "lost-lost".... you just might not know where you are.

Your map and compass never leave home without them. Anyone one even very experienced hikers can get turned around occasional especially in poor weather. Just my personal feelings on the subject but if a person doesn't know how to use a map and compass they probably do not have adequate skills to be hiking back wood trails. Your compass is reliable to many things can go wrong with a GPS.

Map/compass skills verse GPS has to be taken into context with the user, their skills(or ineptness) with such things, the hike, possible trail conditions( especially season, maintenance, usage), what other navigational tools are available, etc. AGAIN, if we would have all been following the OP's posts on his other BMT threads we would know what his hike entails. It also helps IF you have hiked the section of the BMT he's hiking. I just did this section of the BMT not more than a month ago, and I know 10-K did it a short while ago. The BMT is generally comparably blazed and signed as the AT. As Warren Doyle said if you don't need a compass or GPS on the AT you prolly wouldn't need it here on the BMT. If the OP really feels he needs to take a compass or GPS on his BMT section hike no biggy. Take one. Hopefully he knows how to use what he rolls with or the pt of carrying it becomes moot regardless.

As KK asked, I'd also like to get an answer from the OP in regards to why he thought the Bartram Tr. sucked. The BMT and Bartram TR. share some similarities!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    As KK asked, I'd also like to get an answer from the OP in regards to why he thought the Bartram Tr. sucked. The BMT and Bartram TR. share some similarities!
    I hiked the Bartram Trail in July, 2011 and it's pretty rough, especially the southern half where long stretches (as in miles and miles and miles) were overgrown. I pulled more ticks off me on that 100 mile trail than I did the entire AT - several at a time...

I remember thinking that this is one of those trails you can't fight... Even on sections where you should theoretically be able to make good time there is *always* some kind of annoying obstacle to slow you down, whether it's a rock field or blowdowns or some combination.

Keep in mind it was July - it'd be a lot easier in the winter probably. I've got the number of a reliable shuttler who can help with the Bartram Trail if you need it.

Thanks for the info Dogwood!

[QUOTE=10-K;1521724]I hiked the Bartram Trail in July, 2011 and it's pretty rough, especially the southern half where long stretches (as in miles and miles and miles) were overgrown. I pulled more ticks off me on that 100 mile trail than I did the entire AT - several at a time...

I remember thinking that this is one of those trails you can't fight... Even on sections where you should theoretically be able to make good time there is *always* some kind of annoying obstacle to slow you down, whether it's a rock field or blowdowns or some combination.

10-K, I had the same experience. Ticks and blowdowns the whole the way. I did not finish that hike because it was annoying.

Keep in mind it was July - it'd be a lot easier in the winter probably. I've got the number of a reliable shuttler who can help with the Bartram Trail if you need it.[/QUOTE

How do you do the reply with quotes on here? I cannot seem to get it to reply like everyone else does.

I really only wanted to know if there is a need for a compass on the BMT. Will I USE it or will it stay in the pack? On the east coast the only place I have ever needed one is in wilderness areas. The only time I used it on the AT was for the magnifying glass!

10-K, I had the same experience. Ticks and blowdowns the whole the way. I did not finish that hike because it was annoying.

To answer your question directly: I carried the Nat Geo maps and a compass when I hiked the BMT. I used the Nat Geo maps frequently in the unblazed wilderness areas and a compass is handy but not required for orienting the map to make sure you're where you think you are.

Interesting trivia: I carried an altimeter to play with on my BMT thru and it saved me from going the wrong way once. I came to an unmarked fork in the trail and thought I knew where I was by referencing Sgt Rocks BMT guide. When I checked my altimeter I was over 1000' lower in elevation than where I thought I was. I looked at my map closer and the fork I thought I was at was a few miles up the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Seldomseen View Post
    The Bartram trail is the only trail I've ever tried to thru that I quit on because it sucked so much. But... it bothered me to quit so much that I went back the next weekend and finished it...

Default GPS or Compass

Great information. Are there any major stream crossings in the Georgia section?

Quote Originally Posted by Seldomseen View Post
    Great information. Are there any major stream crossings in the Georgia section?
    No.. The BMT in GA is as easy to follow and is as well maintained as the AT. You won't have any trouble at all in GA. There are no fords in GA that I remember.

The only stream crossing of any consequence is Slickrock and some in GSMNP. I forget the names but 2 of the creeks in GSMNP were rather thrilling when I went through there because it had been raining for a few days.

So at a minimum I would recommend Sgt Rocks Guide, the Nat Geo maps that have the BMT, and a compass for a BMT thru.

Here's the problem you just never know when you will need a compass. Things happen sections of the trail that should be passable aren't and you have to navigate around them or the weather is bad and you miss a blaze and you don't realize you are no longer on the right trail. Most of the time on well blazed trails a compass is unnecessary until the unexpected happens then your screwed because you don't have one. A map and compass weight next to nothing. I would rather carry mine a thousand times and not need it then need it one time and not have it.

Usage of the Bartram Trail is generally very low throughout its entirety although some sections are more used making the tread more obvious and easier to follow. Maintenance is integral to the quality of a trail as well. When trails have ready access to roads that can affect the level of maintenance they receive. Obviously, volunteer trail maintenance affects the quality of a trail and how easy it is to follow. If it wasn't for regular volunteer trail work trails would shortly fail to exist! NEVER FORGET THIS. Trails exist only because many resources and people come together to make it happen. And, their quality, and even existence, is dependent on that CONTINUING SUPPORT! The BMT has a few places(not that many though), like 1/4 mile at a time, that were recently overgrown. The BMT TN/NC Handbook mentions thiese few areas. If I'm recalling correctly, they were all north of Hwy 64(Ocoee River) though. The OP has stated in other threads he started he is hiking the BMT GA section, which is all south of Hwy 64. AGAIN, this thread should be taken in context with his other threads and the hike he's doing. This thread is not a general question/debate about compass vs GPS or the general necessity felt by some to always have compass and/or GPS.

In regards to overgrown trail, on any trail, we can complain about it or we can find solutions to change it or deal with it. Consider donating money to support trails or supporting hiking by volunteering to do trail maintenance. I can't think of NOT ONE TRAIL IN THE U.S. that would refuse either level of support! Personally, I like what Tipi Walter is doing. I've considered it myself. Bring along a pr of hand pruners and do some snipping of brambles/thorns/overgrown brush as you hike. It's a great way to give back to hiking and the hiking community! Doesn't cost you much either. If folks want to do this and promise to follow through I have a few extra sets of hand pruners I'll give out free of charge. Send me a PM with your address if interested.

You're welcome Seldomseen. We're all trying to help.

10-k mentioned the stream crossings. I think he's right about all he's said.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Except this is the BMT forum.

I found maps useful on the BMT esp in the wilderness sections. The compass helped in quickly lining up the map.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Compass and map- no matter where you go. G.P.S= General Piece of Shhhh
    Unless you can't use a map and compass, in which case, bring a GPS until you learn.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Compass and map- no matter where you go. G.P.S= General Piece of Shhhh
    Unless you can't use a map and compass, in which case, bring a GPS until you learn.
    General piece of schist? Well, some people say that you might as well carry a rock. Mica inclusion is that that sediment's going a bit too far.

A GPS is a handy cross-check on your map and compass work, and a convenient way to record tracks for visualization, mapping, making trip reports, and telling others the route. Just don't depend on it for primary navigation.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Tell that to Inchworm, this missing hiker in Maine.

Oh wait, you did. She took your course in September 2011 if what I've read on the net is true.

At his point we don't know if she took your advice. Nor do we know if the lack of compass had any affect on her situation.

Fact remains that not having a map and compass in the woods is just plain stupid.

Journal Entries

Say the word "declination" , and 9 out of 10 persons carrying a compass would say "huh? whats that ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++