WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I entered at 211 at 6 am on Saturday and they were closed but no cones blocking the road. They had a sign saying pay upon exit. I drove south to the first tunnel overlook and got some sunrise pics.

Then I drove back to the Mary's Rock parking lot and hiked the AT up to the top. I was the only person up there and I had a good 20 mins of solitude to enjoy the view. Coming back down I tweaked a muscle so The only other hike I attempted was the 1.7 mi dark hollow falls. It was really busy in the park after 10 am and it got hot so Im glad I went early!

I wanted to do Stony Mtn but my body was telling me no, so for once I listenned. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboPants View Post
    I entered at 211 at 6 am on Saturday and they were closed but no cones blocking the road. They had a sign saying pay upon exit. I drove south to the first tunnel overlook and got some sunrise pics.

Then I drove back to the Mary's Rock parking lot and hiked the AT up to the top. I was the only person up there and I had a good 20 mins of solitude to enjoy the view. Coming back down I tweaked a muscle so The only other hike I attempted was the 1.7 mi dark hollow falls. It was really busy in the park after 10 am and it got hot so Im glad I went early!

I wanted to do Stony Mtn but my body was telling me no, so for once I listenned. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I did a loop around Jones and Doyles' River falls yesterday. I agree, it got hot. How did you like the view from Mary's Rock?

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

The sky was kinda foggy and clouded at first but I had a few breaks. Being the 1st up the trail was nice for the solitude factor but I cleared out all the spider webs for everyone else. And about an hour later someone at an overlook spot pulled in just to tell me I had a giant spider on my back. Turns out my white t-shirt made it obvious that they spotted it from the road lol. Gotta love the park!

I honestly didn't expect much of a view from Mary's Rock but I was VERY pleasantly surprised to say the least. On my way down I actually saw a 250-300# bear. I was taking a picture of a flower and he strolled across the trail right by the parking lot at Thornton. We both did a double take and locked eyes and he took off. The fuzzy butthead moved too fast for me to get my camera focused for a picture. So that was pretty cool!

Here some pics of that morning (sorry so large)

A-DSC01410-1.jpgA-DSC01399-1.jpga-DSC01398-1.jpg

Glad you got to see a bear. I wish I would have.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Glad you got to see a bear. I wish I would have.
    Come to SNP with me. A bear sighting is almost guaranteed.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Come to SNP with me. A bear sighting is almost guaranteed.
    Up until this year I was seeing them almost everytime I hiked or visited there. Don't know what the problem is this year. All I have seen this year is snakes and squirrels.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Images

I tend to agree with DH , this year has been different than year's past when seeing a bear in the park was a given.
    After looking at my hiking log for Shenandoah this year, I've hiked 77 miles in the park and have only seen 1 bear. Quite odd indeed.

Although ,according to my journal there were a total of 3 close calls, meaning a hiker or group of people have seen a bear minutes before meeting me on the trail.

I haven't been in the right place at the right time I suppose.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

It could just be different weather has altered where the food sources are at given elevations. Northern VA has had one of the wetter summers in recent history so that may play a factor. If ya'll are desperate go hover around the trash lol, I guarantee you'll find one eventually. OR you can hike with a few honeybuns tied to your belt like I did.

Skyline Drive is worth the price of admission. On one motorcycle trip I saw 6 bears. Including a mother and 2 cubs that I was able to observe for at least 15 minutes before they wandered off into the woods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++