WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A Little White Dog near Wood Gap

Does anybody know the story on the little white dog, maybe a Jack Russell Terrier, with brown spots hiking the AT near Woody Gap? He/she quickly passed me while I was on Granny Top yesterday 08/25/2013. The dog was alone with no apparent owner. It did not look lost, hungry or frighten. The glace that I got, he/she looked fully confident as a dog with a destination. I asked several people I met on the trail if they lost their dog or knew of a lost dog. No one had, but I learned from two other hikers they also saw the dog. One said he saw the dog the previous day in same area and another said she saw it sometime earlier on another part of the trail.

There are several local dogs that you will see on the trail in that area. Lots of homes within a short distance of the trail between Gooch Gap and Slaughter Gap. And just down the trail from Granny Top is Miller Gap where there is easy access to many homes. I do not know the dog you are referring to but I know of 4 dogs that I see often, all are friendly, and I know where they live. I suspect even my dogs sometime hit the trail as my mountain home is only 250 yds from the trail. Just leave them be. They are just out for a walk and will return home for dinner.

Thank you. I think you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    There are several local dogs that you will see on the trail in that area. Lots of homes within a short distance of the trail between Gooch Gap and Slaughter Gap. And just down the trail from Granny Top is Miller Gap where there is easy access to many homes. I do not know the dog you are referring to but I know of 4 dogs that I see often, all are friendly, and I know where they live. I suspect even my dogs sometime hit the trail as my mountain home is only 250 yds from the trail. Just leave them be. They are just out for a walk and will return home for dinner.
    Section hikers! They all would do a thru, but they heard it was too ruff.

While you may have expertise in that area, I'm not sure I agree with the blanket statement of letting all dogs go on their way. I made that mistake in the mountains of Santa Fe, an area with houses around as well. Not 20 mins later did a family come running up the trail looking for heir lost dog. I felt guilty beyond belief, because I would want someone to question my pup of he ever got out of my sight.

I am a responsible dog owner and leash nearly all the time, but accidents happen.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Section hikers! They all would do a thru, but they heard it was too ruff.
    ....the highest form of humor.

I am not kidding... yes, I am Sirius....
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    ....the highest form of humor.

I am not kidding... yes, I am Sirius....
    OK...you win! Nicely done.

I agree. He gave me no choice; I couldn't have caught this guy if I tried. Like I said, he quickly passed me and was way up the trail within a glance.

I hiked along with/somewhat close to this dog in the same area a couple of years ago--never did get to pet him or find an owner or ??

R1-03123-000A.jpg

++ New Posts ++