WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First hike in Park, 8/30 thru 9/1

My first time hiking in the GSMNP this Labor Day weekend. I have hiked from Springer to the Dam many times, but I'm a little apprehensive about the Smokies. In addition, seems like a few other Whiteblazers are hiking the park this weekend, so this thread may help them. Hiking southbound from Clingman's to the Dam and spending night one at Derrick Knob Shelter and night two at Mollies Ridge Shelter. My questions are: 1) Any recent info on water? It's crazy wet down here in the valleys, what about up high? Specifically at the two shelters I staying at? The AT Guide indicates that water is unreliable at Mollies Ridge Shelter and at certain points on my hike. 2) How are the bugs? Gnats, mosquitoes, and ticks/chiggers? Any other recent info I should be aware of would be helpful. Thanks to all and hope I run into some fellow Whiteblazers.

I can't speak to the water supply personally. But if there's ever been a year with no water scarcity, I have to believe this is it. Never had too big a problem with Mosquitos or gnats in the park, especially at the high elevations. Speaking of which you'll likely have some cool temps up there - should make for some nice hiking.

I trust you made your shelter reservations and paid your fees. Have a great hike.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

1. Why are you apprehensive about the Smokies?
    2. Water shouldn't be a problem. However, I just happen to have a trip planned that will include a night at Mollies. If I don't report back, shoot me a PM by the middle of next week and I'll give you 1st hand feedback.
    3. I taken several hikes this summer in GSMNP. Ticks and chiggers haven't been an issue. But gnats, mosquitoes, no-seems, and other biting insects have been a problem... even at the upper elevations. I was at Silers' Bald shelter about a month ago, and even though the weather was warm, I still had to climb into my sleeping bag to get away from the bugs (bringing some Deep on my next trip).
    4. Shelters and campsites have been closing because of bear activity. Make sure to check the Closure pages just before you leave for your hike.
    5. I hope you already have your permit. The permit website shows Derick Knob full for 8/30 & 8/31 (Mollies is already half full).

Permits in hand and ready to go. Thanks for the info. I expect the park to be crowded on a busy holiday weekend. I've just heard so much negativity about the rules and regulations. Hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I've just heard so much negativity about the rules and regulations. Hope I'm wrong.
    I think that's mostly from people that believe that everything should just be free and open since it's a national park and we pay for it with our taxes, blah, blah, blah... I like the new permit system. About the only regulation that I think kind of stinks is the no tent camping at shelters, but I get why that is in place in such a busy park. If you are okay with the shelters you should have no problems at all. Should be more than enough water everywhere this year I would think. Enjoy the trip.

Images

Permits in hand and ready to go. Thanks for the info. I expect the park to be crowded on a busy holiday weekend. I've just heard so much negativity about the rules and regulations. Hope I'm wrong.
    I will be at Derrick 8/31 and Russell 9/1, pushing on to Fontana 9/2, then south of Brown Fork 9/3, south of Sasafrass 9/4 and exiting the trail at the NOC 9/5. Hope to see you on the trail! I'll be the 6' 230# dude with the green Osprey pack and the destinct lack of an accent.

Because you are staying 2 nights, I don't think you should be overly worried about the hike. Make sure you stay hydrated, as the altitude may make you think that you are drinking enough (your body purges water at altitude), but you are not. I had a difficult time with this section on a two day/one night hike, but this was likely because of dehydration.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've just heard so much negativity about the rules and regulations.
    For the most part, the rules for camping in GSMNP are general common sense camping rules.

The only major exceptions:
    1. You're only allowed to camp at designated camp sites,
    2. You must obtain reservations for your camp sites with an itinerary that you must stick to (with exceptions for AT thru hikers),
    3. You may not stay at a shelter for two nights in a row,
    4. You may not stay at other back-country campsites for more than 3 nights in a row.

The only things that really changed with the new permit system this year:
    1. Obtain your reservations online rather than by phone,
    2. To cover the cost of the new online system, you now pay to camp in the back country.
    (Yea, there's a little more in the details, but that's the executive summary of the changes)

I tried to get a permit to hike the Grand Canyon earlier this year, and I found their regulations to be MUCH more stringent.

Thanks for all the info and advice. Counting down the hours!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was at Mollies this weekend. The water is plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I was at Mollies this weekend. The water is plentiful.
    Great! Thanks again.

Im gonna miss you by a day Daddy. I will be hiking Clingman's to Silers on 9/2.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    Im gonna miss you by a day Daddy. I will be hiking Clingman's to Silers on 9/2.
    Hope you have a great hike. I haven't been this excited about a section hike in a long time.

++ New Posts ++