WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Relocating to Indiana, any hikers?

My wife and I are reloctating to the Indianapolis area next month. Are there any decent hiking clubs or meet up groups in the Hoosier state? I saw that they have their own mini trail the Knobstone Trail and some decent mountain biking in the south. I'm a flatlander by nature (Chicago native) and it'll be nice to get away from the opressive heat and long drive's to the trail head from NW Louisiana. Google maps shows some of the closer sections of the AT are only 6-8 hours away. Thats a lot better than the 12 hour trip i took for a section hike to springer or the 16 hour drive the SNP, Va last summer. Hopefully som new hiking opportunites will come up soon, altho I sure will miss Arkansas and a lot of cool people from the Dallas region I've hiked with down here.

You will love the Indianapolis hiking club-they offer about 14 different hikes a week. Then there is The Hoosier Backpackers,and Hoosier Hiking club-which does a lot of trail building.There are others which you can find out about through any of the above mentioned. Have fun.Tell them Rambunny sent you!

Sounds good already, I'm ready for a change and getting a little closer to the AT.

There is a great hiking club in Bloomington, IN. Lots of trails in the Hoosier National Forest, & Morgan-Monroe Forest. Good mountain biking in Brown County State Park and also at Muscatatuck County Park in Jennings County.

Indiana needs more hikers... Welcome
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

The Hoosier Hikers Council built the 42 mile Tecumseh Trail and several other trails in Indiana. Many of our members are AT hikers and would love to have you join us. Check our website for information about our activities and trails to hike. Indiana is not flat.

Journal Entries
    Images

Bloomington Hiking Club meets every Saturday year round at Bloomingfoods east at 9am. Hikes range from 10-14 miles and we travel fast!

This is good to know--about hiking fast! The central Indiana Wilderness Club also does several hikes per year-both in state and out. They come to Trail Days in May and offer a trip rate for riding along. They do hike slower though. I attend a few meetings here and there but usually prefer to hike alone or with my son. The southern half of the state has the most challenging trails--Knobstone and Adventure trails.
    Welcome to Indiana!!

Sounds like there are a lot of hiking club options and some decent in state destinations, I just ordered the map of the knobstone trail, hopefully do a knobstone thru hike over verterans day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte-w8-hyker View Post
    Sounds like there are a lot of hiking club options and some decent in state destinations, I just ordered the map of the knobstone trail, hopefully do a knobstone thru hike over verterans day.
    The first eleven miles of the KT were obliterated by a tornado last year and unaccessible. They do have some of it opened up now, might check with the HHC (Hoosier Hikers Council) to see what is opened. I know that from mile 11 on north it is opened although there is some logging/reroutes from mile 14 to approx mile 17 and then from mile 35 to 37. There are actually mile marker posts on this trail--except for where they are logging. Have a great time and feel free to PM me for any further info--I have hiked this trail many times. Seatbelt

Welcome to Indianapolis...this is a great city and I'm sure you will enjoy it. You might consider the Indianapolis Hiking Club for some decent day hikes and there are a few of us that also backpack. A group of us are hiking the GSMNP in late September. I am also trying to put together a group to thru hike the John Muir Trail in July/August 2014 as well as a section hike of the AT ( from Northern end of GSMNP to Damascus, VA ) in May 2014. Feel free to PM me.

Images

When you get there, get down to Morgan-Monroe and do the low gap/rock shelter loop. very nice hiking !!

Well finally made it up to Indy, Don't start work till mid November. So hopefully I get a chance to explore the local area. Are there any good parks right in the city or in the Noblesville area? Already had a chance to make it to the AT twice in October. Even tho Indy isn't right on the trail I'll take a 6-8 hour trip any time over the 12-16 hours I used to drive.

Welcome! Southern Michigan also has some very nice trails.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte-w8-hyker View Post
    Are there any good parks right in the city or in the Noblesville area?
    Eagle Creek Park on Indy's west side is probly the best for hiking--go to the west side of the lake for free access to trails. Fort Harrison has a couple good trails also. Southwestway Park on Mann Rd is another good one for dayhiking.

I second the Tecumseh Trail. Planning to do the Knobstone this spring!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Must see...
    Mammoth Caves, Turkey Run, Indiana Beach
    In early fall, Feast of the Hunters Moon at the Wabash River in W. Lafayette.
    Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Check out Indy Backpacker Meetup, they are a bunch of great guys that get out backpacking often.
    http://www.meetup.com/backpackers-149/

++ New Posts ++